Sign in with
Your question

Is OCZ a good PSU maker?

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2010 3:21:52 AM

I know for a while OCZ had a bad PSU problem. Are they like that with there new line up? I know some PSUs say they can supply a power that they really can not. Does OCZ supply the power it says it does?

More about : ocz good psu maker

a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2010 6:25:22 PM

Seasonic is really the only best one that provides all the power they advertise and more. Corsair's power supplies are made by Seasonic.

OCZ I have found to be quality power supplies. But their +12V rails power are about 85% of the advertised total power. Keep that in mind when making calculations. As for their quality, they make good quality power supplies.
m
l
December 1, 2010 6:29:45 PM

All power supplies are essentially the same design and quality. Name brand psu's (except the very high end versions) are the same as the "generic" brands. They do the same thing: move electric current thru copper wires.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but in most cases you are just paying for a "label" and a warranty.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2010 6:36:18 PM

enzo matrix said:
Seasonic is really the only best one that provides all the power they advertise and more. XFX's power supplies are made by Seasonic.

OCZ I have found to be quality power supplies. But their +12V rails power are about 85% of the advertised total power. Keep that in mind when making calculations. As for their quality, they make good quality power supplies.

What do you mean 12v rails are only 85%? It says it have 4 12v rails with 18a each. What does that mean?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2010 7:39:17 PM

HostileDonut said:
What do you mean 12v rails are only 85%? It says it have 4 12v rails with 18a each. What does that mean?

Not much. You'll be wanting to look at the combined wattage on those rails. For example, my OCZ 600W has 500W combined on the +12V rails that can be drawn.

"All power supplies are essentially the same design and quality. Name brand psu's (except the very high end versions) are the same as the "generic" brands. They do the same thing: move electric current thru copper wires. "

Obviously you know nothing of electrical or computer engineering. The circuits are much more complex than that. They have to go through several phases to convert the 120V AC from the wall to +12VDC, +5VDC, +3VDC and -12VDC for the various components in the computer. The power supply need a step down transformer, diode rectifiers, filter capacitors and voltage regulators.
Bad quality components or overzealous companies claiming they can handle a higher current draw than they can can lead to low end power supplies blowing up and sometimes taking the computer with them. I've had it happen. Most for me have died silently rather than blowing up though due to old and non very good quality parts. But yes, most power supplies on the market are at least decent enough quality to be able to provide power without blowing up if you don't stress them too much. There's also the matter of a consistent quality signal with little noise so that your parts are not damaged but I've yet to meet a power supply where the manufacturers made such cuts.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2010 7:43:08 PM

So I ordered a OCZ StealthxTreme 600w the other day. You said the 12v only provides 500w. Does that mean I can not go over 500w? Can the PSU supply 600w? How do I calculate how many watts I have on the 12v rails?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2010 7:54:23 PM

Well, that depends on what you are powering. I have the modxstream. In the case of the stealthxstream:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/resources/drivers/600wchar...

As an idea, The +12V rails are heavily used for the CPU and video card.

Based on the ATX standard pinout charts and the colours of the wires, the following devices draw power from the following voltages. Or, at the very least, it has wires connected available to it from these voltages:
Hard drives, DVD drives, Video card (a single pci-e power cable has 3 of these +12V wires), CPU (the CPU connector give the CPU access to two of these) all have dedicated +12V wires available to them. The hard drives/DVD drives also have a +3.3 and +5V available to them. The ram I believe runs on the +3.3 rails alone.

Watts is Voltage times current but combining the +12V rails does not mean adding the current.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2010 8:13:12 PM

So the StealthXstream 600w can deliver 580w to the CPU, GPU, ect. The RAM gets the other 20w right?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2010 8:23:36 PM

HostileDonut said:
So the StealthXstream 600w can deliver 580w to the CPU, GPU, ect. The RAM gets the other 20w right?

The components draw what they need. Other components do draw from the +3.3V rails but they are not immediately obvious to me.

This is the reason why some companies can label a power supply that can only supply 600W to the +12V rails as a 900W power supply. They up the capability of the +3.3V rails to handle higher current, which it will never draw, to make up for the lower +12V rail capabilities. What's relevant is that the most power hungry components all draw from the +12V rails to a large extent.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2010 8:28:37 PM

Ohhhhhh, Okay, I think I get it. So because most things run off the 12v rails you will need more watts from the 12v. Other companies label the power supply high wattages from the 3.3v rails that they will never use, so it sounds better to the customer. The OCZ 600w StealthXsteam version can deliver 580w off its 12v and 20w off its 3.3v, correct?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2010 8:37:52 PM

^yep
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2010 8:40:32 PM

Thanks alot, you really cleared things up for me. :D 
m
l
December 1, 2010 11:23:19 PM

enzo matrix said:
The components draw what they need. Other components do draw from the +3.3V rails but they are not immediately obvious to me.

This is the reason why some companies can label a power supply that can only supply 600W to the +12V rails as a 900W power supply. They up the capability of the +3.3V rails to handle higher current, which it will never draw, to make up for the lower +12V rail capabilities. What's relevant is that the most power hungry components all draw from the +12V rails to a large extent.

Very nice and thanks so much for the details. Which are the most power hungry components aside from the GPU using the 12V rail? Thanks again,
Dave
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 1:28:59 AM

enzo matrix said:
Seasonic is really the only best one that provides all the power they advertise and more. XFX's power supplies are made by Seasonic.

huh??
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 1:32:20 AM

stillerfan15 said:
Very nice and thanks so much for the details. Which are the most power hungry components aside from the GPU using the 12V rail? Thanks again,
Dave

after a gaming video card, it would the CPU in terms of power hungry, then HDD, optical drive, fans with less power demand
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 1:45:14 AM

ct1615 said:
huh??

Thanks for catching that. I have edited. I meant to say Corsair!
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 1:57:22 AM

enzo matrix said:
Thanks for catching that. I have edited. I meant to say Corsair!

you where correct on XFX, also made by seasonic. there plenty of other companies though that make just as good PSU that exceed their stated level of watts like Delta (antec) CWT (corsair, antec) enermax (they make their own PSU) highpower (PC Power & Cooling)

m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 6:52:36 AM

ahthurungnone said:
All power supplies are essentially the same design and quality. Name brand psu's (except the very high end versions) are the same as the "generic" brands. They do the same thing: move electric current thru copper wires.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but in most cases you are just paying for a "label" and a warranty.

yeah like this one cause its the same as name brands.... http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Coolmax-CUL-750B...
and this one http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
and this one http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

and many many more
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 6:35:09 PM

I found OCZ and it was a bigger section, does that mean it is good?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 6:42:42 PM

some ocz are not good. best bet is find a model you want, and then try find a review from hardwaresecrets or jhonnyguru. if it reviews bad, you will then know.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 6:58:55 PM

I looked at the reviews on neweeg and everyone gave it 5 "eggs". Somebody said that their new line up (the one i bought) was improved from the last line up. :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 8:04:51 PM

no, the amopunt of eggs a PSU gets does not make it good or bad. Newegg PSU reviews base their review on did it work out of the box, or did it not. They dont go into load, ripple or voltage regulation tests. this http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/OCZ-StealthXStre... is the type of review you need to be reading. But yes, it looks to be a great unit.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 8:11:08 PM

Oh, someone said that it delivered its promised watts. I thought that meant good. It said the the OCZ 600w I bought delivers 735w!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 8:22:30 PM

HostileDonut said:
Oh, someone said that it delivered its promised watts. I thought that meant good. It said the the OCZ 600w I bought delivers 735w!

But that contradicts the specs you read right off the package. Let's also try to make it clear that doesn't necessarily mean "good". "Good" means quality. Build quality. Reliable parts. The amount of wattage actually delivered is just something to watch out for and ones that deliver a lot less on the 12V rails than the total promised could indicate a power supply of a brand that may have cut a lot of corners.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 8:24:12 PM

I know... I am kinda confused now. The review he gave me said that it is capable of 735w. If they got it that high, then I think it will. I am not going to push it that far though lol. Someone XF two hd6870 on one though.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 8:25:36 PM

HostileDonut said:
I know... I am kinda confused now. The review he gave me said that it is capable of 735w. If they got it that high, then I think it will. I am not going to push it that far though lol. Someone XF two hd6870 on one though.

Two 6870s in crossfire and a decent CPU will still draw less than 500W
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 8:27:58 PM

Oh, okay. It said on the hd6870 you need a 500w. Why would the review say that the 600w OCZ could do 735w though? I am confused.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 8:31:31 PM

HostileDonut said:
Oh, okay. It said on the hd6870 you need a 500w. Why would the review say that the 600w OCZ could do 735w though? I am confused.

iunno, seeing as I've not read the review nor do I know where to find it.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 8:32:38 PM

look up the screen a bit. iam2thecrowe wrote it. :D 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 8:46:04 PM

HostileDonut said:
look up the screen a bit. iam2thecrowe wrote it. :D 

Oh there it is. I was looking at his big collection of links. :ouch: 

The only mention of 735W is in the conclusion. I can't figure out why he came to that conclusion.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 8:47:59 PM

Did you see the part where is says 735w?
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 9:07:17 PM

HostileDonut said:
Did you see the part where is says 735w?

its from the HS review
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/OCZ-StealthXStre...

and they gave it a good review

"We loved this power supply. Why? Because it has exactly the same design of two other good high-end power supplies, OCZ GameXstream 700 W and Zalman ZM600-HP, but costs a lot less – only USD 85, on average, in the USA. For the average user this is a terrific buy. This unit not only costs less than competing 600 W products, but you will be also bringing home a 735 W power supply!"

m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 9:15:15 PM

Just got my OCZ 600w PSU. I am going to try to figure out for to install it now. :D 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 9:33:07 PM

Ummm...... I broke my CPU. JUST KIDDING! I do need some help though. There are two connectors to my hard drive and then two more to my dick drive. I removed the SATA, but I think the two other are molex. How do I remove them? Just give a good pull?
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 9:39:18 PM

don't touch your dick drive or you may go blind!

your HDD & optical drive will either use SATA power cables (see the video, they are rather slim) or molex 4-pin power (older drives will use this). either may they simply pull off.

once again, watch some videos on youtube on where everything goes.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 9:42:17 PM

lol typo on disk drive. I have a molex and SATA on my hard drive and disk drive.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 10:15:31 PM

I am having trouble with my motherboard connector. It is very hard to get out. Any suggestions?
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 10:20:02 PM

there is a locking clip you need to release on the power connector that attaches to the mobo socket
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 10:22:37 PM

I am pressing that down as I pull. It is very tough. :( 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2010 10:47:13 PM

Is there anything you think I may be doing wrong? It just won't budge. :(  I am bummed.
m
l
December 2, 2010 11:58:05 PM

pliers ftw, thats how I always did it. Get a small pair and make sure you push the clip, then pull. Don't pull to hard or you will crack the circuit.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2010 12:07:53 AM

I got it, I almost used pliers, but then I thought because I am not too skilled, I might break it. Got it working. :)  Took a SUPER long tim though :heink:  :lol: 
m
l
!