Low Profile Graphics Card for Max Quality FPSs

slimes

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
So, I recently bought an American Inspiron 580s.
Detailed specs here.
I also bought the Dell monitor IN2010N. It's a cheap, 1600 x 900 monitor.

I play FPSs, more specifically BFBC2 and COD MW2. However, I just recently realized that I was running the game at only 12xx by 7xx. So I increased it to the maximum my monitor could handle, which is 1600 x 900. I then realized that my current graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce G310), couldn't run it at the max. The game became all choppy and my scores deteriorated. That's why I'm looking for a new graphics card.

Unfortunately, my 580s has slim casing. So I'm looking for a good enough low profile graphics card to run high quality FPSs with smooth graphics. I really can't find much... So I'm just looking for a few tips about which graphics card to get and which is the best one to solve my problem.

My budget isn't really the amount of money, just that the graphics card is a good enough one for the price given.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

megagabobe1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
sup man, i think you can go for a gtx 460, they are very little, Height 4.376 inches (111 mm)
Length 8.25 inches (210 mm)

i have a case that only supports micro atx mobos and i was able to fit a hd 5850 with no problems.

The 5770 will destroy a GT220 or GT240. Keep in mind, the GT220 and GT240 are basically step up models from the GT210 (which is the predecessor of the G310 I think). Anyhow, the low profile GT220/240 are quite a bit smaller than an ATI 5770. Unless you get a specific low profile ATI 5770. Keep in mind, that will draw more power than a lesser card like the GT220/240.

What you probably should do though, is look up benchmark tests with the GT220/240 and see if you can find some that play Bad Company 2 and see if it even does what you want it to do in the first place.

There are no low profile GT 240s as far as I know. Also while I believe a low profile Powercolor HD5770 was spotted at a trade show how far it is from market is unknown and it might take a while.
The best low profile card you can currently buy is this one;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187061
However it is the older high power version of the 9800GT with a power connector. Your current 250w PSU is not a good choice to run that card so it would need to be replaced.
This card however was recently announced and is supposed to be "available soon";
http://www.techpowerup.com/126931/MSI_Intros_Low-Profile_Radeon_HD_5670_Graphics_Card.html
It is about on par with that 9800GT but is DX11 compatible and uses much less power. It should be ok on your current power supply so the best plan may be to just wait until it is available. Perhaps send MSI support an email asking them when it is due.

The specs page for his computer doesn't say specifically but his system is i5 based so the odds of the PCIE port being 1.x are close to zero.

slimes

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
http://www.techspot.com/article/255-battlefield-bad-company2-performance/page4.html

I think I need at least an HD 5770 to run this game smoothly at max quality. So right now I have many questions.

1. What kind of PSU do you need to be able to run it?
2. How can you tell how many watts a PSU has? Or does anybody know how much mine would have?
3. Are there any specific places to buy a graphics card like this?
4. In the specifications of the product when looking at it on the website, how can you tell if it is low profile or not?

As I said earlier your power supply is 250w.
The low profile cards are skinnier, it should be easy to spot. Even with replacing the power supply the best you will be able to do is that 9800GT I linked which while better than the HD5570 is still in the same general performance area. If you want a card that will actually be legitimately good for that resolution there is really nothing you can do besides replacing your case as well as the power supply.

infernox_01

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
i think ur psu has a tfx form factor. the most you can get in the uk is a 400w psu but its made by a unreliable company. there are more efficient options for 300w tfx psu's. seasonic and fsp make some of them. ive read that the low profile 9800gt comes with a 2x4pin molex to 6pin pcie adaptor in the box so find a psu that has at least 2 molex cables.

another option could be the low profile gts250. it does have 10-20% less performance then the normal gts250 but i think its the same situation with the 9800gt. it would be more risky since it uses more power.

infernox_01

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010

its just how the psu is shaped. tfx is a thin power supply that will look like this in your computer.

C36d10.jpg