Sign in with
Your question

External Hard drive problem

Last response: in Storage
December 18, 2012 3:02:20 AM

Hello,
I am using Iomega 1TB external hard drive. It worked completely fine in the morning and when I was going to remove the drive from the laptopnI got the message that the ""Windows can't stop your 'Generic volume' device because a program is still using it." But in spite of that I removed the drive. But later in the afternoon when I tried to connect the hard drive my laptop no longer recognizes it. I can feel the vibration and I can see the little light glow but the laptop does not recognizes it. I am worried if I'll lose the data stored in it. Is there any solution to this? Should I take it to the service center to get it repaired? Or is there anything that I can by myself.

Thanks.
a c 79 G Storage
December 18, 2012 6:16:22 AM

Disconnecting a drive when you see "Windows can't stop your device" message is not usually harmful because the default removal policy setting in Windows does not require you to use the "Safely remove hardware" utility (unless you changed the default).

However, you must still ensure that the drive's activity light is not flashing when you unplug it.

Sometimes Windows fails to assign a letter to the drive when you plug it in. This means it can't be seen in Windows Explorer, but it can usually be seen in Disk Management where you can fix the problem.

So head over to the Disk Management console in Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management.
Find the ribbon that represents the Iomega drive in the bottom-right panel.
Right-click and choose:
"Change Drive Letter & Paths".
Click "Add"
Choose a letter.
Click 'OK'
m
l
!