Sign in with
Your question

Bypassing an HDD altogether

Last response: in Storage
December 18, 2012 3:43:45 AM

Hello,
I bought a used Lenovo X1 that the seller said had only a 160gb SSD. Turns out it has a 160SSD and a 320 HDD. I bought it because I wanted all SSD, faster and no moving parts. I have not received it yet, but once I do, I want to upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 8. Is it possible, and better, ie. faster, to bypass, or remove the HDD altogether and just run off the SSD? How? Thanks very much
a c 129 G Storage
December 18, 2012 4:17:11 AM

fullcircuitsound said:
Hello,
I bought a used Lenovo X1 that the seller said had only a 160gb SSD. Turns out it has a 160SSD and a 320 HDD. I bought it because I wanted all SSD, faster and no moving parts. I have not received it yet, but once I do, I want to upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 8. Is it possible, and better, ie. faster, to bypass, or remove the HDD altogether and just run off the SSD? How? Thanks very much

you dont need to remove the hard drive unless it goes bad. the ssd most of the space going to be used for the os and a few programs. you need the hard drive as a data drive for most of your games and slower apps. my desktop is set up as 120 intel ssd as the boot os and most of my games are on the hard drive. with ssd you need to leave a lot of room for trim and garbage clean up..fill an ssd up to much and it slows down.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 18, 2012 4:27:16 AM

I am assuming he already has windows on the ssd; then nothing will ever go on the hdd unless you put it there yourself. It would just be extra storage. The hdd should also turn itself off when not in use.
m
l
!