Software to print contact sheet with very detailed EXIF data

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 3, 2005 3:03:05 AM

Hi everyone,

I've searched all the Internet sites and previous ng posts but have not
found any software to do what I want.

I took a lot of pictures over the holidays of my Christmas tree and of
people in a low light room using various settings on my camera. There were
just candles, a single lamp, and a Christmas tree that was all lit up. I
wanted to find the best combination of settings.

Now I want an easy way to compare all the settings of the best photos.

I really like the ZoomBrowser / PhotoRecord feature that prints some of the
EXIF data on a contact sheet of prints. It includes basic stuff like shutter
speed, aperture setting, exposure compensation, focal length, and flash.

But it's missing a lot of important data. In particular I would like to find
software that also prints the following on contact sheets:

Shooting Mode such as Program, Night, Auto, etc
Light Metering such Evaluative, Spot, etc
ISO Speed such as Auto, 50, etc
White Balance such as Auto, Tungsten, etc
AF Mode such as Manual Focus, Auto
Photo Effect such as Vibrant, Low Sharpening, etc

Does anyone know of any software that would print these items along with the
thumbnail images?

I have so many images to evaluate that copying and pasting the EXIF is not
an option. And I know most people would be happy with settling for the ones
that came out great. But I want to know all the settings I used so I can
repeat this in similar circumstances.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Renee
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 3:03:06 AM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:03:05 GMT, "Renee" <rr@invalid.org> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I've searched all the Internet sites and previous ng posts but have not
>found any software to do what I want.
>
>I took a lot of pictures over the holidays of my Christmas tree and of
>people in a low light room using various settings on my camera. There were
>just candles, a single lamp, and a Christmas tree that was all lit up. I
>wanted to find the best combination of settings.
>
>Now I want an easy way to compare all the settings of the best photos.
>
>I really like the ZoomBrowser / PhotoRecord feature that prints some of the
>EXIF data on a contact sheet of prints. It includes basic stuff like shutter
>speed, aperture setting, exposure compensation, focal length, and flash.
>
>But it's missing a lot of important data. In particular I would like to find
>software that also prints the following on contact sheets:
>
>Shooting Mode such as Program, Night, Auto, etc
>Light Metering such Evaluative, Spot, etc
>ISO Speed such as Auto, 50, etc
>White Balance such as Auto, Tungsten, etc
>AF Mode such as Manual Focus, Auto
>Photo Effect such as Vibrant, Low Sharpening, etc
>
>Does anyone know of any software that would print these items along with the
>thumbnail images?
>
>I have so many images to evaluate that copying and pasting the EXIF is not
>an option. And I know most people would be happy with settling for the ones
>that came out great. But I want to know all the settings I used so I can
>repeat this in similar circumstances.
>
>Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
>
>Renee

http://www.tawbaware.com/thumber.htm

It's clunky in a way- you use the program to generate an html page of
thumbnails. But you can select pretty well any piece of the exif
information that you want to be included under the thumbnail. It's
been a while since I used it; I think that finding and selecting the
exif selection was a bit of search through some submenu. Maybe the
interface has been cleaned up since the 2.xx version.
January 3, 2005 8:27:47 AM

"Dan Daniel" <ddandan.remove@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:03:05 GMT, "Renee" <rr@invalid.org> wrote:
>
>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>I've searched all the Internet sites and previous ng posts but have not
>>found any software to do what I want.

<snip>

>>In particular I would like to find
>>software that also prints the following on contact sheets:
>>
>>Shooting Mode such as Program, Night, Auto, etc
>>Light Metering such Evaluative, Spot, etc
>>ISO Speed such as Auto, 50, etc
>>White Balance such as Auto, Tungsten, etc
>>AF Mode such as Manual Focus, Auto
>>Photo Effect such as Vibrant, Low Sharpening, etc
>>
>>Renee
>>

> http://www.tawbaware.com/thumber.htm
>
> It's clunky in a way- you use the program to generate an html page of
> thumbnails. But you can select pretty well any piece of the exif
> information that you want to be included under the thumbnail. It's
> been a while since I used it; I think that finding and selecting the
> exif selection was a bit of search through some submenu. Maybe the
> interface has been cleaned up since the 2.xx version.

Thank you, Dan! This sounds like what I might be looking for so I'm going to
give it a try. I'll let you know how it works out.

Renee
January 3, 2005 9:12:21 AM

"Renee" <rr@invalid.org> wrote in message

> "Dan Daniel" <ddandan.remove@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:03:05 GMT, "Renee" <rr@invalid.org> wrote:
>>
>>>In particular I would like to find
>>>software that also prints the following on contact sheets:
>>>
>>>Shooting Mode such as Program, Night, Auto, etc
>>>Light Metering such Evaluative, Spot, etc
>>>ISO Speed such as Auto, 50, etc
>>>White Balance such as Auto, Tungsten, etc
>>>AF Mode such as Manual Focus, Auto
>>>Photo Effect such as Vibrant, Low Sharpening, etc
>>>
>>>Renee
>>>

>> http://www.tawbaware.com/thumber.htm
>>
>> It's clunky in a way- you use the program to generate an html page of
>> thumbnails. But you can select pretty well any piece of the exif
>> information that you want to be included under the thumbnail. It's
>> been a while since I used it; I think that finding and selecting the
>> exif selection was a bit of search through some submenu. Maybe the
>> interface has been cleaned up since the 2.xx version.
>
> Thank you, Dan! This sounds like what I might be looking for so I'm going
> to give it a try. I'll let you know how it works out.
>
> Renee

It's a very nice program and the html page looks great. But it's too bad it
doesn't quite do the job. The thumbnails include Light Metering and ISO. But
I'm looking for a little more detail. The thumbnails don't include Shooting
Mode, White Balance, AF Mode, or Photo Effect. AEB (exposure bracketing)
setting is another I'm looking for.

I also tried entering the custom fields for Canon such as "Flash =",
"Flash=", and "Flash:" but none of them work. I guess that's because the
EXIF data is not in APP12 format.

Renee
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 9:12:22 AM

"Renee" <rr@invalid.org> schrieb
> I also tried entering the custom fields for Canon such as "Flash =",
> "Flash=", and "Flash:" but none of them work. I guess that's because the
> EXIF data is not in APP12 format.
Just a thought, what about renaming the files with all the specific info you
like to see?
The file names will be rather large but with this you could use lots of
software that prints the file name in the index print.

--
Regards
J├╝rgen

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 06:12:21 GMT, "Renee" <rr@invalid.org> wrote:

>"Renee" <rr@invalid.org> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dan Daniel" <ddandan.remove@pacbell.net> wrote in message

>>> http://www.tawbaware.com/thumber.htm
>>>
>>> It's clunky in a way- you use the program to generate an html page of
>>> thumbnails. But you can select pretty well any piece of the exif
>>> information that you want to be included under the thumbnail. It's
>>> been a while since I used it; I think that finding and selecting the
>>> exif selection was a bit of search through some submenu. Maybe the
>>> interface has been cleaned up since the 2.xx version.
>>
>> Thank you, Dan! This sounds like what I might be looking for so I'm going
>> to give it a try. I'll let you know how it works out.
>>
>> Renee
>>

>It's a very nice program and the html page looks great. But it's too bad it
>doesn't quite do the job. The thumbnails include Light Metering and ISO. But
>I'm looking for a little more detail. The thumbnails don't include Shooting
>Mode, White Balance, AF Mode, or Photo Effect. AEB (exposure bracketing)
>setting is another I'm looking for.
>
>I also tried entering the custom fields for Canon such as "Flash =",
>"Flash=", and "Flash:" but none of them work. I guess that's because the
>EXIF data is not in APP12 format.
>
>Renee

Huh? I used to be able to print info like that. Maybe they removed
that feature? Too bad. I hope you find something that works for you.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 12:12:58 PM

Thumbsplus is superb for contact sheets

http://www.cerious.com/

Gaz.

> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 06:12:21 GMT, "Renee" <rr@invalid.org> wrote:
>

>>"Renee" <rr@invalid.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Dan Daniel" <ddandan.remove@pacbell.net> wrote in message

>>> Thank you, Dan! This sounds like what I might be looking for so I'm
>>> going
>>> to give it a try. I'll let you know how it works out.
>>>
>>> Renee
>>>

>>It's a very nice program and the html page looks great. But it's too bad
>>it
>>doesn't quite do the job. The thumbnails include Light Metering and ISO.
>>But
>>I'm looking for a little more detail. The thumbnails don't include
>>Shooting
>>Mode, White Balance, AF Mode, or Photo Effect. AEB (exposure bracketing)
>>setting is another I'm looking for.
>>
>>I also tried entering the custom fields for Canon such as "Flash =",
>>"Flash=", and "Flash:" but none of them work. I guess that's because the
>>EXIF data is not in APP12 format.
>>
>>Renee
>>

> Huh? I used to be able to print info like that. Maybe they removed
> that feature? Too bad. I hope you find something that works for you.
January 3, 2005 2:48:05 PM

Renee wrote:

> I really like the ZoomBrowser / PhotoRecord feature that prints some of the
> EXIF data on a contact sheet of prints. It includes basic stuff like shutter
> speed, aperture setting, exposure compensation, focal length, and flash.
>
> But it's missing a lot of important data. In particular I would like to find
> software that also prints the following on contact sheets:
>
> Shooting Mode such as Program, Night, Auto, etc
> Light Metering such Evaluative, Spot, etc
> ISO Speed such as Auto, 50, etc
> White Balance such as Auto, Tungsten, etc
> AF Mode such as Manual Focus, Auto
> Photo Effect such as Vibrant, Low Sharpening, etc

There are some customizable aspects in BreezeBrowser. You probably could
get it to output an html contact sheet with that info. I know it'll
display all those in various display modes & those can be customized &
formatted.
January 4, 2005 6:21:09 AM

I just finished evaluating this software and you are right, Gaz. It is
terrific! It does everything I want and more. Thank you.

And thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply.

Renee

!