Sign in with
Your question

Quick question about SSDs.

Last response: in Storage
December 18, 2012 5:35:50 AM

Hi,

Just wanted to ask a quick question about SSDs. Do you have to create a partition on an SSD before installing windows? If you don't can you still use the remaining space on the SSD after the install for other programs and files?
Sorry if I haven't worded this very well.

Thanks.

More about : quick question ssds

December 18, 2012 5:47:26 AM

You install windows on the SSD you leave the storage drive blank. You can create a partition on a SSD however its probably easier on you if you didn't.
December 18, 2012 5:53:25 AM

If I installed windows to an SSD and there was still some space left on that SSD after the install, could I just install other program's and put files in that space?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 18, 2012 5:57:24 AM

You could yes. I would leave however room for windows updates and other things if you had say a 128 gigabyte SSD you could probably put a few programs on there and Windows and be just fine.
December 18, 2012 5:59:43 AM

I think I know what answer you are after.

Windows takes around 15-20GB of space, so if you have a 120GB SSD, you will have around 90-100GB of free space available for your games and programs.

It is saver to install Windows on it's own partition (e.g. 50GB or so) and keep all your data e.g. documents, pictures, music on a different partition or drive. So that when Windows fails/crashes you can just reload and all of your data should still eb save on the other partition/drive
December 18, 2012 6:06:39 AM

You could also do that yes. If you wanted to create a small partition on the drive to ensure you would have room for the os and updates and you would have a for sure amount of room on your ssd for other things that would be a good way to go.
What size SSD were you looking into getting.
a b G Storage
December 18, 2012 1:21:57 PM

You do not have to create a partition on an SSD before installing windows.

Yes, you can still use the remaining space on the SSD after the install for other programs and files.

Now if you want to create a partition on the SSD you should do it prior the OS Installation -- some SSDs come with programs that will let you to do so. If you try to create a partition on the SSD after the installation you might lose all the information that was there, to include the OS -- if I am not mistaken.
December 18, 2012 6:53:52 PM

Well what we are talking about is creating a partition so he can set aside windows space and space he can use for other things. I mean in theory yes you don't have to and its easier if you don't but there is no harm in doing so .
!