Sign in with
Your question

Black screen after post, please help!

Last response: in Systems
September 8, 2010 10:49:05 PM

Hi all, looking for some advice here before I start buying new parts.

On a really hot night a couple weeks ago my computer just shut down all of the sudden. I got it to launch into windows a couple times, backed up my stuff, but after a day or two it goes to a black screen after it posts. I've tried two hard drives, one with XP one with 7. In XP I get a "Windows" loading screen but then it goes black after 10 seconds or so. In 7 I get a black screen right after BIOS.

I resat my CPU with some new thermal grease and blew out the whole system with canned air. Didn't work. In my BIOS config I'm getting a flat 30C as my CPU temp. I don't have any parts for swapping. I've tried swapping all 4 of my RAM sticks individually, no luck there either.

Can someone tell me which component is likely to be the culprit here? I'm tempted to buy a whole new MB and just start from scratch, but if I could get my system up and running again I'd like to hold that off for another year.

Thanks for any help or insights!

System:

Asus P5NE-SLI MB
Intel Core2 Duo 2.66
4x1 Corsair XMS DDR2
Asus 8800GT 512G 128-bit
Antec 550W Earthwatts

More about : black screen post

a c 104 B Homebuilt system
September 8, 2010 11:38:44 PM

Have you checked the GPU temperature?
Was windows installed on both HDD in that computer?
September 9, 2010 12:06:51 AM

I should also mention that I've tried booting from a Windows install disk with no luck.

rolli, to answer your questions,

In BIOS, my GPU temp starts at 30 and will go up a couple degrees over the course of a minute or two. So no worries there.

I have XP installed on one HDD and Win7 installed on the other.

Thanks
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2010 12:59:36 AM

Have you attempted to boot into Safe Mode in either OS?
September 9, 2010 2:55:58 AM

I can't get into 'safe mode' in either OS. F8 just brings me to a BIOS boot menu rather than the Windows Advanced Boot Options, and safe-mode isn't an option there.

I think the fact that I can't even reinstall on either HDD from a Windows installation disk means I have a serious hardware issue. I don't know what safe-mode could do to help me. I'm just trying to diagnose my system to find the bad part. So frustrating. I think I'm just going to bring it into a shop. Or order a whole new core system.
September 10, 2010 1:52:07 AM

Have you reset BIOS?
September 10, 2010 5:05:37 PM

I didn't re-flash, but I reset the default settings. Should I reflash?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2010 6:19:48 PM

If you have BIOS Version 1406 already installed, then no.

Clearing the CMOS and loading default settings should be the starting point.
September 10, 2010 8:31:33 PM

pretzelkins said:
I should also mention that I've tried booting from a Windows install disk with no luck.

rolli, to answer your questions,

In BIOS, my GPU temp starts at 30 and will go up a couple degrees over the course of a minute or two. So no worries there.

I have XP installed on one HDD and Win7 installed on the other.

Thanks

Does your BIOS report GPU temp (graphics card)? You sure you are not reading CPU temp.
September 10, 2010 10:12:59 PM

So I did a swap out with a friend's GPU. Same problem. It's not the GPU.

The machine runs fine it just won't load Windows. I was thinking maybe the SATA controller was messed up but I can boot from an Ubuntu CD on my SATA controlled DVD drive.

This is really baffling me. I have a hard time believing that both my HDDs died at the exact same time. I guessing it's some issue with my motherboard or my RAM. I originally had to customize the RAM settings in BIOS to get the system working well so maybe a compatibility issue is finally manifesting itself? Truly stumped here.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2010 11:40:26 PM

Are any of the hard disk drives still being recognized in the BIOS Setup?
!