What am i doing wrong?

spike9208

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Hi,

Can anyone give me some advice on what im doing wrong?
i have recently installed the phenom x4 955 cpu on my asus m2n-sli deluxe board
but i cant get programs like cpu-z and other cpu temp montors all report that each core is only running at 800 x 2?

I have the latest bios update for mobo 5001 and have set the volt to 1.25 and the multi x 16 the bios and reports that its a 3.2 cpu and have cleared the cmos to
when i right click on my comp in windows for info it displays the cpu as 3.2 but gives the cpu a 3.7 overall score i had x2 6400 in before and it indexed at 5.9

but these software utils dont see it as this and reports each core as 800 x 2, i didnt re-insall window 7 enterprise (64bit) after installin new cpu, but i dont think that should be a problem?

I know its running slower as encoding avi are taking longer thab before,

Any advice would be most gratefully received

Cheers

Have you got cool n quiet turned on in the bios.

Open cpu-z then run something like Prime95, if your cpu shoots up you know cnq is working ok.

Turn it off in the bios to have your cpu running full speed, but also your fan might speed up=more noise.

Hope this helps.

spike9208

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Yes that option is turned off in the bios, once im back home ill d/l prime 95 and see what happens so if im opening applications with the speed increase as more load goes on?

loneninja

Distinguished
It's either cool n quiet, but if it's not clocking back up under full load that shouldn't be the issue.

Upon looking at the cpu support list for your motherboard, I see Athlon II/ Phenom II are only supported under a Beta Bios, and with a max wattage of 95W. It's possible that your 125W 955 isn't supported, and most boards that don't support Phenom II will lock the processor at 800mhz or refuse to boot.

Is your processor properly identified in your BIOS?

spike9208

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010

Well, can't be cnq then if its turned off.

The cpu isn't listed as being supported but I have read your link but what Spike says could well be true.

Have you tried loading it with auto's rather than manual settings.

Yes if you open up cpu-z and run p95 or occt you should see the freq jump up to full speed.

Whats psu are you using?

spike9208

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
coolermaster 750w

other system spec are 2 w/d sata hdd - raid 0

onboard sound

nvidia gtx 275 card

2 dvd drives

as for the loading on auto rather than manual not 100% sure what you mean?

thanks for the help

I meant what loneninja said not spike, your spike. :pt1cable:

PSU's got enough juice then.

I mean instead of manually setting your voltages and multiplier leave them on auto's, leave everything in the bios on auto's to see if it boots.