Asrock 890gx-pro3 bios loads too long

paolo_skat

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
good day,

i would just like to know if there is a way for me to lower down the wait time of this freakin mobo's bios load....

with my previous mobo, a gigabyte 880gm-ud2h, it boots the bios and goes to the windows load screen within
4-8 seconds, now, i had to change mobos due to some problems with the previous one, now with this asrock 890gx-pro3, the just for the bios to load, most of the time, i have to wait 10-18 seconds before the beep comes, it sucks,

any ideas how to fix this? thank you so much!

Solution

I have this board and am pretty happy with it although I have noticed it seems to take forever to get to the Windows splash screen. That said, once it gets to the splash screen it gets to the desktop pretty quickly. In my case, I think the reason the bios screen is on so long is because I have a large external USB drive that is slowing down the startup. I can't be bothered to compare times with and without the external drive.

Before you give up on this...

paolo_skat

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
i can't find an option for that, just checked my bios recently, and i also updated the bios to 1.30 already, but still, it takes time for the bios to load, is it just really like this, or is there a way to go around this, coz, if not, i might just switch over to intel...... whew!

channeledbymodem

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

I have this board and am pretty happy with it although I have noticed it seems to take forever to get to the Windows splash screen. That said, once it gets to the splash screen it gets to the desktop pretty quickly. In my case, I think the reason the bios screen is on so long is because I have a large external USB drive that is slowing down the startup. I can't be bothered to compare times with and without the external drive.

Before you give up on this board, which I am more than satisfied with overall, try Asrock's "Instant Boot" feature. Basically, the minute and a half my pc takes to get to the desktop without Instant Boot is divided up between shut down and start up. In other words, "Instant Boot" prolongs the shut down phase so that your pc starts the next time as if it were awaking from "sleep." Except that the pc is "off" and if power is cut off you don't lose any data.

Bottom line: start up with Instant Boot goes from 1.5 minutes to 30 seconds. Some people say they can start in less than 5 seconds (my system takes longer than that just awakening from conventional sleep).

I don't think replacing this board with an Intel board is the answer. Different hw, different problems.

Solution

channeledbymodem

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

If this question was addressed to me: I am using the IGP 4290 graphics.

paolo_skat

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
i am using an HD 6870 for graphics,

and 1 more observation that i had was, when i turn off the avr,
and do like a fresh boot, it takes time, but when i do a restart,
or if i don't turn off the avr and turn off and start the computer after a couple
of minutes, the wait time is less....

so i guess it's really just like this, i can say that i almost already
tried everything..... i think i just got used to my gigabyte 880 chipset board before, which boots the bios pretty fast with no issues....

i was actually planning (Plan B) to switch over to intel for a future proof build. Because Plan A was supposedly getting a phenom II x4 955/965 and OC it to hopefully 3.6ghz-4ghz, but i was just feeling disappointed
with the board, although it looks sharp, overall performance is alright,
the let down was just with the bios...

i just wanted to know what the reason really is... hmmmm....

@channeledbymodem: i've tried the instant boot before with another asrock board
i've tried, i think i can't get used to it... hehehe

TRENDING THREADS