Solved

Power hook up to video card

MOBO
GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

POWER:
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active

VIDEO:
XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Trying to ensure I used the correct cables from my power supply to my video card.

On the video card itself is 2--6 pin slots!! With my power supply, there were NO 6 pin cables! What I have is 8 pin, BUT that 8 pin has 6 grouped together, with 2 off to the side, so one is able to plug them into the video card--and the 2 separate ones just hang to the side. Is this ok???

The video card did come with 2--6 pin cables, BUT they are far too short.

So would the set up I mentioned above be acceptable?? Or is it best to head to microcentre and get the correct 6 pin cables????

thanks
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power hook video card
  1. Best answer
    You probably just have one 6+2 pin adapter on your power supply; it's ok if the two hang off - there are cards that also use 8 pins.

What you need is the Molex (4-pins horizontal) to 6-pin adapter (Most high end cards come with these - is that what came with your card?). Plug the 4-pin side into one of the power supply cables and the 6-pin end to the other 6 pin power slot on your graphics card. Your power supply is big enough to handle that card (easily), so you should be good to go!
  2. Cool!! As long as that 6+2 is fine, Im happy!!

AND a huge thanks to this site, wife and I had our new computer build up in a few hours! thanks all.
  3. Best answer selected by flames9.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Graphics Cards Power Systems