Power hook up to video card

flames9

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
MOBO
GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

POWER:
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active

VIDEO:
XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Trying to ensure I used the correct cables from my power supply to my video card.

On the video card itself is 2--6 pin slots!! With my power supply, there were NO 6 pin cables! What I have is 8 pin, BUT that 8 pin has 6 grouped together, with 2 off to the side, so one is able to plug them into the video card--and the 2 separate ones just hang to the side. Is this ok???

The video card did come with 2--6 pin cables, BUT they are far too short.

So would the set up I mentioned above be acceptable?? Or is it best to head to microcentre and get the correct 6 pin cables????

thanks

Solution
You probably just have one 6+2 pin adapter on your power supply; it's ok if the two hang off - there are cards that also use 8 pins.

What you need is the Molex (4-pins horizontal) to 6-pin adapter (Most high end cards come with these - is that what came with your card?). Plug the 4-pin side into one of the power supply cables and the 6-pin end to the other 6 pin power slot on your graphics card. Your power supply is big enough to handle that card (easily), so you should be good to go!
You probably just have one 6+2 pin adapter on your power supply; it's ok if the two hang off - there are cards that also use 8 pins.

What you need is the Molex (4-pins horizontal) to 6-pin adapter (Most high end cards come with these - is that what came with your card?). Plug the 4-pin side into one of the power supply cables and the 6-pin end to the other 6 pin power slot on your graphics card. Your power supply is big enough to handle that card (easily), so you should be good to go!

Solution