SSD and HDD Best Setup

numskull50

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Hello,

I am doing my first build in a while using a 60Gb Mushkin SSD and and 600GB VelociRaptor with a Asrock Extreme 3 Z77 MB. What would be the best way to set this up? My original plan was to get two SSDs and put them in a raid 0, but one of the drives came in damaged and a replacement would be a few months away, so I ordered the VR. Would it be best to install the OS on the SSD and use the HDD for games and storage or would it be better to use the Intel Smart Response Cacheing and install everything on the HDD and use the SSD for Cache.

Thanks for your Help

That depends on what you want to use the system for. Long story short, if the software you really want to enjoy SSD speeds will fit into 15gb or less, then install the OS on the SSD along with that software (assuming you're using windows 7). If you want a speed bump for more than 15gb of software/games, then use the SSD as a cache - though I believe intel's cache implementation will only use up to 32gb as cache, the remaning capacity won't be used (my memory may be faulty).

good luck!

numskull50

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Its a computer I am bulding for my Brother; It is going to be a discount gaming Rig and most of his games are from Steam. Would I see any benefit installing the OS on the SSD and running the games off the HD over using the SSD as cache in this instance. My last home built rig was with an X2 so the new SSD are outside of what I am used to.