Lost on Sandy Bridge Mobos

atypicallemon

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
I am still lost at looking at the boards and reading different articles. I still cannot tell the difference between the h67/p67/z68. I know this question has been asked but haven't really been able to find anything helpful really.Would like more of the pros/cons of each and what each one has that the other one doesn't Have been looking at these boards for 3 days and am still unable to really find the differences. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Here is the basic information on our chipsets anything outside of this is most likely a board level change.

This should help http://ark.intel.com/compare/52812,52807,52806,52810,52816 but here is some clearer information.

H61: Entry level very basic set up. These will be the lowest cost boards. They do support the IGP (Intergraded Graphic on processor). The H61 will not allow you to overclock a “K” series unlocked processors.

H67: This is the general use chipset. This is the board that should be used in most system. The H67 does support the IGP. H67 will not allow overclocking and it will support a board level of features. This board may have support for RAID.

Q67: A business board the only thing that you really need to know about...

jsanthara

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
The boards in question are quite similar (especially the P67 and H67).

H67: No overclocking, can utilize on-die graphics, integrated graphics, 1333 MHz limit.

P67: Overclocking!, can NOT utilize on-die graphics, no integrated graphics (requires a discrete video card).

Z68: Overclocking!, CAN utilize on-die graphics.

So basically the Z68 has the advantages of the H67 and P67 with none of the disadvantages.

If you have been looking into these boards for three days, then you probably know all of this, but honestly this is pretty much the deal.

jsanthara

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
There are a number of tiny differences between any chipset, but for most people the very minor details are not important. Whether or not it is important to you depends on your needs.

I'm going to assume you are looking into these boards because you are thinking of building a computer soon. So tell me, what do you want/need out of your new computer?

Here is the basic information on our chipsets anything outside of this is most likely a board level change.

This should help http://ark.intel.com/compare/52812,52807,52806,52810,52816 but here is some clearer information.

H61: Entry level very basic set up. These will be the lowest cost boards. They do support the IGP (Intergraded Graphic on processor). The H61 will not allow you to overclock a “K” series unlocked processors.

H67: This is the general use chipset. This is the board that should be used in most system. The H67 does support the IGP. H67 will not allow overclocking and it will support a board level of features. This board may have support for RAID.

Q67: A business board the only thing that you really need to know about this is this is the board to get if you need support for VT-d. Q67 will not allow overclocking and it will support the IGP. This board may have support for RAID.

P67: The P67 boards are the only ones that cannot support the IGP at all. These are designed to be performance level boards and they do allow overclocking of the unlocked processors. This board may have support for RAID.

Z68: This chipset is just like the P67 with 2 changes. First is support for Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) which allows you to do some SSD caching. The second feature of the Z68 that is different from the P67 is that it does support the IGP (at least most of the boards do). This board will allow overclocking of the unlocked processors. This board may have support for RAID.

If you are a gamer get a P67 or Z68 board.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Solution

atypicallemon

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
thanks for the reply that sums up most of my questions on it deciding to go with the z68 it might be overkill but it should be fine. so far my new build is a 2500k, gigabyte ud4, 90gb ocz ssd, 1tb seagate, pc&c psu, CM mid tower, paired with two evga 6950's