Is networking attached storage what i need here? reliable?

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-GoFlex-Home-STAM2000100/dp/B003STVG80/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355845019&sr=1-6&keywords=seagate+network+attached+storage

for years i've used the typical USB port to my external drive to back up files with an image created by paragon. However i have a brand new laptop with a 256 SSD split into 2 partitions and a 750 HDD as 1 partition.

my ideal situation is this: first make a wired backup (assume that is faster) then do either overnight automatic incremental backups or manual ones as i see fit. what i dont want to happen is me download a 4 gig video file and have the network overwhelmed with an automatic backup. I'm assuming 4 gigs would take quite a while to transfer wirelessly?

i've 'fortunately' never had to restore a backup but i do know i want something with selective restore for just a particular file if i need it.

I only recently found out about NAS and am wondering how reliable it is from a connection standpoint and do the programs that come with the hard drive work well enough for my purposes or do you recommend another?

at this time i dont plan to backup my PC in this way since i have a 2nd internal drive specifically for that purpose but down the road, you never know
9 answers Last reply
More about networking attached storage here reliable
  1. A NAS just uses hard drives, so the reliability is the same as hard drives in your computer. If the NAS is set to run RAID other than raid 0, then you will also have redundancy.

As for backups with selective restore, this is determined by the backup software, not the storage device. Backup software should allow you to create a backup image or a simple file backup. At the very least, software that creates images only should allow you to mount the image and extract the individual files. I don't know if Paragon does this, but Acronis True Image Home and other backup software can do this.
  2. understood, so even if dont like what software is on there, i can just use something else then? i was just reading a review where at least for seagate you apparently need to log into their server to do anything and of course i dont want that.

i just want to use 'some' software to back up to the drive and have it be reasonably fast and i dont mind paying for software to do this. i wasnt aware if i was locked into using their software but now that i know it's just a regular drive i can format and use whatever program i want ;)
  3. Some NAS's do have custom backup software, other's don't. Check the manufacturer's web site for info. Most times you ca use your own backup software. being that there is an exception to every rule I don't want to go out on a limb and say all NAS's will allow you to use your own software.
  4. one thing i dont understand is reviews that state :

"A few gotchas here as well. The registration failed several times before the drive was able to contact the WD website and send along my info."

i found the same thing with seagate. is it mandatory for you to register a drive with the mfg in order to be able to use it as a backup device? do all your files then become accessible to the manufacturer?

i dont understand the need to register on the websites
  5. I've never used WD or Seagate NAS's. I use Thecus and there is no registration at all. You can always buy a NAS enclosure and add your own drives - something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817198044
  6. so those use typical internal drives then. interesting. definitely a greater cost than the premade drives but maybe it would be more reliable because all those reviews point to trouble for me.

i'm assuming by definition the enclosures all hook up via ethernet to a router and you can have a continuous backup?

what software do you use for your backups?
  7. They all use typical internal drives, it just that in the self built NAS you get to pick which drives you want in it. Depending on the NAS, you may void the warranty if you try to replace drives. Of course this isn't the case with self built ones. A NAS can be attached anywhere on the network - a router or a switch.

I don't know if you would want continuous backup as not all software supports that, but you can use it to backup data or store any photos, music, or whatever on it.

I use Acronis True Image Home (2012).
  8. You also have the option of a small home server for not much more than a decent Nas. $50 case, $50 motherbd, $50 processor, $30 ram, $50 Windows home server. $90 HDD.

And WHS is wonderful at unattended backups.
  9. after doing a lot of research on enclosures and even some NAS prebuilt kits, i'm leaning toward just buying a router with USB, buying a USB 3 drive, then for the 1st full backup doing a wired backup

then attach it to the router and let it automatically do the incrementals overnight or when i'm away so as not to clog up my surfing etc.

basically the cost of a drive was the same whether i did internal or external and so it came down to spending 100 for a new router or 100 for something like a dual dlink NAS box. and something is just telling me to get the router vs trying to set up a NAS box even though it's probably about the same work to set both up...i think?
Ask a new question

Read More

Backup Storage Product