Thinkpad A31 with Win2K SP4 hangs FREQUENTLY

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
December 21, 2004 4:20:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops, microsoft.public.win2000 (More info?)

I have an IBM Thinkpad A31 laptop with Win2K Pro SP4 (including all
security updates and latest drivers) which hangs VERY frequently.
Sometimes it will only run for a minute or so before it freezes. It
doesn't even produce a blue screen like Win2K usually does, it just
locks solid. I've never even seen Win2K do this before. It seems
totally random, not tied to any specific program or activity. I heard
reports about problems with the trackpoint, so I disabled that in the
bios, but it made no difference. I also use the restore last known
good configuration option in the boot menu for Win2K, but that didn't
help either. Setting my video hardware accelleration down to the
next-to-lowest setting also didn't work. Anyone know what the heck
might be going on here? The laptop is basically useless at this point.
Why the hell isn't Win2K at least giving me an error message? Nothing
shows up in the event log, so I have no idea how to figure this out.
Any help anyone can offer would be GREATLY appreciated.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 21, 2004 5:18:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops, microsoft.public.win2000, microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

BTW, it even froze while in safe mode. Safe mode shuts down damn near
everything - what could possibly have still been enabled that could
cause it to completely freeze?

seanr wrote:
> I have an IBM Thinkpad A31 laptop with Win2K Pro SP4 (including all
> security updates and latest drivers) which hangs VERY frequently.
> Sometimes it will only run for a minute or so before it freezes. It
> doesn't even produce a blue screen like Win2K usually does, it just
> locks solid. I've never even seen Win2K do this before. It seems
> totally random, not tied to any specific program or activity. I
heard
> reports about problems with the trackpoint, so I disabled that in the
> bios, but it made no difference. I also use the restore last known
> good configuration option in the boot menu for Win2K, but that didn't
> help either. Setting my video hardware accelleration down to the
> next-to-lowest setting also didn't work. Anyone know what the heck
> might be going on here? The laptop is basically useless at this
point.
> Why the hell isn't Win2K at least giving me an error message?
Nothing
> shows up in the event log, so I have no idea how to figure this out.
> Any help anyone can offer would be GREATLY appreciated.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 21, 2004 8:07:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

BTW, it also freezes in safe mode. What the heck could still be running
that would lock it up even in safe mode???

"seanr" <webolutionary@webolutionary.com> wrote in message
>I have an IBM Thinkpad A31 laptop with Win2K Pro SP4 (including all
> security updates and latest drivers) which hangs VERY frequently.
> Sometimes it will only run for a minute or so before it freezes. It
> doesn't even produce a blue screen like Win2K usually does, it just
> locks solid. I've never even seen Win2K do this before. It seems
> totally random, not tied to any specific program or activity. I heard
> reports about problems with the trackpoint, so I disabled that in the
> bios, but it made no difference. I also use the restore last known
> good configuration option in the boot menu for Win2K, but that didn't
> help either. Setting my video hardware accelleration down to the
> next-to-lowest setting also didn't work. Anyone know what the heck
> might be going on here? The laptop is basically useless at this point.
> Why the hell isn't Win2K at least giving me an error message? Nothing
> shows up in the event log, so I have no idea how to figure this out.
> Any help anyone can offer would be GREATLY appreciated.

Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 21, 2004 8:47:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops, microsoft.public.win2000 (More info?)

You seem to have an interrupt problem....try setting the interrupts in
your BIOS manually to 5,6,7,10,11, 14 respectfully....sometimes laptops
with the Plug-n-Pray not too friendly. hope this works.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 1:57:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win2000,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

seanr <webolutionary@webolutionary.com> wrote:
> BTW, it even froze while in safe mode. Safe mode shuts down damn near
> everything - what could possibly have still been enabled that could
> cause it to completely freeze?

Fan! It might be overheating.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 1:57:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

How can I tell for sure if that's what it is?

"JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message
> seanr <webolutionary@webolutionary.com> wrote:
> > BTW, it even froze while in safe mode. Safe mode shuts down damn near
> > everything - what could possibly have still been enabled that could
> > cause it to completely freeze?
>
> Fan! It might be overheating.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> James
>
> Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com

a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 10:16:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops, microsoft.public.win2000 (More info?)

Which ones are which? Mine are not all listed on one screen like they
are in some BIOS versions. All of the PCI ones are, but the paralel
port is seperate.
December 22, 2004 12:16:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

memory failing
possibly HD failing
power problems

sounds hardware related to me

"Sean Robertson" <webolutionary@webolutionary.com> wrote in
message news:41c89e21$1_4@127.0.0.1...

News ==----------
> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service
in the World!
> -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast
Downloads - 19 Servers =-----
December 22, 2004 9:50:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

for the fan look and listen, is it on all the time, is it
clean

memory you could try memtest86 (google is your friend)

Is you hard drive making funny noises ? does it always
appear to be working, do a scan disk to make sure it is not
failing (can be done from dos and boot disk)

"Sean Robertson" <webolutionary@webolutionary.com> wrote in
message news:41c8baef_3@127.0.0.1...
> How can I tell for sure if that's what it is?
>

> "JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in
message
> > seanr <webolutionary@webolutionary.com> wrote:
> > > BTW, it even froze while in safe mode. Safe mode
shuts down damn near
> > > everything - what could possibly have still been
enabled that could
> > > cause it to completely freeze?
> >
> > Fan! It might be overheating.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > James
> >
> > Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums:
http://forum.thinkpads.com

News ==----------
> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service
in the World!
> -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast
Downloads - 19 Servers =-----
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 27, 2004 6:52:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops, microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

I can officially rule out the HD. It was bad (bad sectors), but I've
replaced it and it's still freezing. The memory tested fine in PC
Doctor. It only freezes when it's actually in Windows, though. It has
gotten through Windows setup several times just fine and even stayed
fine with windows running for several hours but not being used. It
only froze when I started using it (in this case, plugged it into the
network and went to change my network settings).
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 27, 2004 7:07:08 PM

"seanr" <webolutionary@webolutionary.com> writes:
> I can officially rule out the HD. It was bad (bad sectors), but I've
> replaced it and it's still freezing. The memory tested fine in PC
> Doctor. It only freezes when it's actually in Windows, though.

Try memtest86 (www.memtest86.com). It's a free program, a bit of a
pain to run since you have to write it onto bootable media and then
boot it instead of an OS. But it exercises the memory harder than
an OS application can.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 3, 2005 7:50:11 PM

I installed Linux on the same mashine with no problems whatsoever. It runs
flawlessly. Only windows freezes. The distro of linux I got includes a
memory testing app (via a boot choice in GRUB) which I ran and it found no
errors.

Why the hell would WinXP not tell me what the heck the problem was? Damn
Bill Gates!

"Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote in message
> "seanr" <webolutionary@webolutionary.com> writes:
>> I can officially rule out the HD. It was bad (bad sectors), but I've
>> replaced it and it's still freezing. The memory tested fine in PC
>> Doctor. It only freezes when it's actually in Windows, though.
>
> Try memtest86 (www.memtest86.com). It's a free program, a bit of a
> pain to run since you have to write it onto bootable media and then
> boot it instead of an OS. But it exercises the memory harder than
> an OS application can.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 8, 2005 5:56:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win2000 (More info?)

Try and uninstall some useless programs e.g free trial programs or adware!

!