How do I rearrange drive letters?

My CD rom is showing up as Drive D: and my second drive partition is
showing up as Drive E:. I want to switch them so the CD rom is always the
last drive letter.

Thanks much

You can't guarantee that your CD-ROM will always be the last letter. But you
can change the letters assigned to drives.

Ted Zieglar

> You can't guarantee that your CD-ROM will always be the last letter. But
you
> can change the letters assigned to drives.
>
> Ted Zieglar

Thanks, but how?

J.V. wrote:
>> You can't guarantee that your CD-ROM will always be the
>> last letter. But you can change the letters assigned to
>> drives.
>>
>> Ted Zieglar
>>

> Thanks, but how?

Right click on My Computer and select Manage from the drop down
menu.
In the Storage section of Computer Management, click on Disk
Management.
In the lower pane, right click on the entry for your CD drive.
Select "Change Drive Letters and Paths..." from the menu.
In the box that pops up hit the Change button.
Change the drive letter to something other than D.
Click OK twice.
Now do the same for your second drive and change it's letter to
D.

If you want a little more insight into this issue take a look
at this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844/

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Thanks!

J.V. wrote:
> Thanks!

You're wecome.

Nepatsfan

> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
>> J.V. wrote:
>>> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Thanks, but how?
>>
>> Right click on My Computer and select Manage from the drop
>> down menu.
>> In the Storage section of Computer Management, click on Disk
>> Management.
>> In the lower pane, right click on the entry for your CD
>> drive. Select "Change Drive Letters and Paths..." from the
>> menu.
>> In the box that pops up hit the Change button.
>> Change the drive letter to something other than D.
>> Click OK twice.
>> Now do the same for your second drive and change it's
>> letter to D.
>>
>> If you want a little more insight into this issue take a
>> look at this article:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844/
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Nepatsfan

Naming it "z" pretty much guarantees it's last. That's what I always used
when I had zip drives as my writable media, and it make things a lot easier.

> You can't guarantee that your CD-ROM will always be the last letter. But
> you can change the letters assigned to drives.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "J.V." <oneofthesixbillion_remove@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> My CD rom is showing up as Drive D: and my second drive partition is
>> showing up as Drive E:. I want to switch them so the CD rom is always
>> the
>> last drive letter.
>>
>> Thanks much

Thanks for the post! It really helped me out!

"D.Currie" wrote:

> Naming it "z" pretty much guarantees it's last. That's what I always used
> when I had zip drives as my writable media, and it make things a lot easier.

> > You can't guarantee that your CD-ROM will always be the last letter. But
> > you can change the letters assigned to drives.
> >
> > Ted Zieglar
> >
> > "J.V." <oneofthesixbillion_remove@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> My CD rom is showing up as Drive D: and my second drive partition is
> >> showing up as Drive E:. I want to switch them so the CD rom is always
> >> the
> >> last drive letter.
> >>
> >> Thanks much

dl

Of course if you had installed apps, then reassigned drive letters, they may
no longer run

> Thanks!
>
> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
> > J.V. wrote:
> > > "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Thanks, but how?
> >
> > Right click on My Computer and select Manage from the drop down
> > menu.
> > In the Storage section of Computer Management, click on Disk
> > Management.
> > In the lower pane, right click on the entry for your CD drive.
> > Select "Change Drive Letters and Paths..." from the menu.
> > In the box that pops up hit the Change button.
> > Change the drive letter to something other than D.
> > Click OK twice.
> > Now do the same for your second drive and change it's letter to
> > D.
> >
> > If you want a little more insight into this issue take a look
> > at this article:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844/
> >
> > Good luck
> >
> > Nepatsfan