Hard drive failed, having problems recovering

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLLco

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Hello,

My hard drive recently failed on my laptop but the partition was still intact, so I made the recovery dvds and bought a new SSD not knowing that I couldn't recover to a smaller hard drive. I just want to get it functional again with Windows 7 and I have a product key so is there any reason I shouldn't just get a windows installation disk or are there important drivers on my recovery disks that necessitate me purchasing Acronis?

dingo07

Distinguished
first of all - if there's data that you MUST have on the failed drive, i would NOT power it on and try to retrieve the data. Every Second it's powerd up you risk losing data.

Since you have a new SSD, just install windows fresh on the SSD and reinstall all your progs. THEN you can determine Whether you want to risk trying to recover the data from the failed drive. If it's a mechanical fail, you lose data every second like I mentioned above.

All you need once the SSD is the new drive, is a cable like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

Status
Not open for further replies.