Gateway FX 6800

ksweet

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
I am hoping someone will be able to recommend some solutions I can try to fix the issues I am having with my Gateway FX 6800-01e.
I recently restored the system using the factory restore disks which I made from the software stored in the system. At that time I was having a lot of software issues, freezing, programs not loading etc.
After I restored the system the problems didnt go away and I noticed some error messages in the bios page that loaded when I turned the machine on.
These are the messages that came up:
CMOS Date/Time not set
CMOS Check Sum Error
AHCI Port 4 IDE Hard Disk
SATA Port ST 375063AS SD46
S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status BAD
AHCI Port 4 Device Error
I tried to restore the machine again since the previous restore didnt fix the software issues and the machine read the DVD drive and began the restore process. It wiped my HD and Partitions and then said it was loading files, however I left it on that screen overnight and both progress bars remained at 0%.
Now I have a dead machine with no software at all. It turns on, runs the bios, and will read the DVD rom but gets hung up at the page where the files are supposed to reload.
Can anyone help???
Thanks

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
One of your Hard drives is bad. Likely the one you are attempting to install to. That is what the SMART Status BAD means. You will need to get a new hard drive (SATA hard drive) and install to that. Sorry for the bad news but, hope you got your answer!