Sign in with
Your question

Budget HTPC Build Help

Last response: in Systems
September 9, 2010 5:56:16 AM

Putting together my first htpc w/ spare parts I have and looking for opinions. It'll be used for streaming, some web browsing, playing dvds/dvr, emulator gaming, etc. Id like to keep everything below $350, I have no preference of brand, but I do like the case a lot so I'm pretty set on that.

Win7 Home Premium 32x $0
Intel E7200 w/ E5200 Heatsink $0
Corsair 2x1GB CM2X1024-6400C4 $0
SilverStone LC02 "Clone" w/ 220w psu $35 ebay
EVERCOOL 80x15mm + 2x Scythe 60x25 Mini Kaze $27 jab-tech
Gigabyte G41M-ES2L $51 ewiz
Laptop SATA DVD/CD R/W Drive $25
Samsung 1TB SpinPoint F3 $60 ebay
PowerCooler Go! 5450 512MK3-SH w/ low profile bracket $25 AMIR newegg
PCI-E 1x Ribbon Riser Cable + PCI-E 16x Ribbon Riser Cable $18 ebay
Internal USB IR Receiver w/ MCE Remote $25 ebay
AVerMedia Duet (White Box) $57 ebay

Total = $323 AMIR

**Updated w/ Total Cost**

Ordered everything, just waiting on it to come in.

More about : budget htpc build

September 9, 2010 1:28:10 PM

A188 user here.

Yeah, I too had the problem with the tuner disappearing after S3 resume that you hinted at. I RMA'd the tuner with Avermedia and the replacement works just fine. Just chiming in to validate the rumors you've heard about the A188. It is a gamble.

FYI, Dvico also makes a dual ATSC tuner and don't forget to consider the HDHomerun so you have more options.

I suggest you go for the HVR-2250. It costs more but it seems to be the best of the dual tuners. If you want to research tuners further, here is the best source that I found to get in the know: http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/
m
l
September 10, 2010 3:14:11 AM

Anyone have a suggestion on a good bios matx mobo before I purchase the g41m-es2l?
m
l
Related resources
September 12, 2010 9:04:32 AM

ordered everything just waiting on it to come in
m
l
November 20, 2010 4:05:15 AM

rwpritchett said:
A188 user here.

Yeah, I too had the problem with the tuner disappearing after S3 resume that you hinted at. I RMA'd the tuner with Avermedia and the replacement works just fine. Just chiming in to validate the rumors you've heard about the A188. It is a gamble.

FYI, Dvico also makes a dual ATSC tuner and don't forget to consider the HDHomerun so you have more options.

I suggest you go for the HVR-2250. It costs more but it seems to be the best of the dual tuners. If you want to research tuners further, here is the best source that I found to get in the know: http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/

I know it has been awhile since there was any activity on this thread, but I have the same tuner as rwpritchett and I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have been using ATSC and it works just fine. Recently, due to reception problems and finally running a cable line to my PC, I have attached it to my Time Warner cable line to get Clear QAM. The picture is still fantastic but it freezes every 5 minutes or so. To get it back I can just change the channel then switch back, but I would like to use it for recordings again and that won't work then. Anyone else have this problem or know how to solve it?
m
l
!