Sign in with
Your question

Poweredge 4600 memory error

Last response: in Memory
July 28, 2011 4:59:36 PM

i just recently bought ram for my powerdge 4600 and i think its pc2100. recently i have been trying to open programs like registry mechanic, remote desktop, and system mechanic and its been giving me this error 0xc0000005. people have been saying its the ram cause its faulty so please help me community
July 29, 2011 2:24:56 AM

It is probably the memory speed/timings/voltages settings. Try setting those to the correct configuration and see if the problems still occurs. if you need assistance with that, look through the forum on setting memory timings.
July 29, 2011 2:39:23 AM

puttsy said:
It is probably the memory speed/timings/voltages settings. Try setting those to the correct configuration and see if the problems still occurs. if you need assistance with that, look through the forum on setting memory timings.

can you please tell me how to do that
Related resources
July 30, 2011 12:57:44 AM

Boot into the BIOS. There should be a splash screen immediately after turning the machine on that offers options "F2 for Setup, F8 for boot menu" or similar options. I am not familiar with your system in particular however, it should be a fairly standard setup. (I assume you have been through the general BIOS configuration if you are, in fact A+ certified as your profile pic. attests". After entering the BIOS though, There should be something like "Standard Options" and "Advanced Configuration". Under advanced config (or similar) there should be "Integrated peripherals" or other setting that should allow manual memory configuration. Look for something that states "DRAM ___________" where ___ is something indicative of setting/options. If there is a BIOS update for your motherboard (look for Dell downloads for your machine), that may offer better compatibility.

Sorry I can't be more exact. Every machine is a tad bit different.
July 30, 2011 1:16:41 AM

puttsy said:
Boot into the BIOS. There should be a splash screen immediately after turning the machine on that offers options "F2 for Setup, F8 for boot menu" or similar options. I am not familiar with your system in particular however, it should be a fairly standard setup. (I assume you have been through the general BIOS configuration if you are, in fact A+ certified as your profile pic. attests". After entering the BIOS though, There should be something like "Standard Options" and "Advanced Configuration". Under advanced config (or similar) there should be "Integrated peripherals" or other setting that should allow manual memory configuration. Look for something that states "DRAM ___________" where ___ is something indicative of setting/options. If there is a BIOS update for your motherboard (look for Dell downloads for your machine), that may offer better compatibility.

Sorry I can't be more exact. Every machine is a tad bit different.

i understand what your saying and let me recheck the bios cause i don't think my system supports that option. i thought i might have had to change something software wise cause the ram shows up at 8GB in system properties but when i open the task manager i think it comes up with 4GB's for some reason im kinda puzzled
a c 81 } Memory
July 30, 2011 1:51:56 AM

athornfam2 said:
i just recently bought ram for my powerdge 4600 and i think its pc2100. recently i have been trying to open programs like registry mechanic, remote desktop, and system mechanic and its been giving me this error 0xc0000005. people have been saying its the ram cause its faulty so please help me community

What RAM did you buy? Registered ECC RAM?
a c 81 } Memory
July 30, 2011 2:18:29 AM

It probably is the correct type of RAM. Does each module have 9 or 18 chips? Do you have issues if you insert only 2 modules (try all 4 before giving up)? The RAM either is compatible or it isn't.
Quote:
i thought i might have had to change something software wise cause the ram shows up at 8GB in system properties but when i open the task manager i think it comes up with 4GB's for some reason im kinda puzzled
How many modules are installed? Since you bought 4 x 1GB modules, you should see 4GB in system properties. According to the specs, the maximum is 6GB (1GB per memory slot); therefore you can't have 8GB of memory.
July 30, 2011 3:39:36 AM

GhislainG said:
It probably is the correct type of RAM. Does each module have 9 or 18 chips? Do you have issues if you insert only 2 modules (try all 4 before giving up)? The RAM either is compatible or it isn't.
Quote:
i thought i might have had to change something software wise cause the ram shows up at 8GB in system properties but when i open the task manager i think it comes up with 4GB's for some reason im kinda puzzled
How many modules are installed? Since you bought 4 x 1GB modules, you should see 4GB in system properties. According to the specs, the maximum is 6GB (1GB per memory slot); therefore you can't have 8GB of memory.

the dell poweredge 4600 can hold a maximum of 12 GB's right now i have 8GB. i think i might have put the ram in the wrong way. i have a set of 4 1GB ram sticks on the top riser card and then i got 4 1GB's on the 2nd riser out of the 6 slots
August 7, 2011 2:30:11 AM

The reason your operating system is only showing the 4 gigs is due to the fact that it is likely a 32-bit OS. Threre is really nothing you can do to see above 4 gigs nor use more than 4 gigs unless you install a 64 bit OS OR, install a server OS. Even 32 bit server OS's have much lower visible/useable memory amounts but, you should be fine with only 8GB (as if 8 GB isn't a LOT of RAM anyway though!!)
August 7, 2011 4:13:04 AM

puttsy said:
The reason your operating system is only showing the 4 gigs is due to the fact that it is likely a 32-bit OS. Threre is really nothing you can do to see above 4 gigs nor use more than 4 gigs unless you install a 64 bit OS OR, install a server OS. Even 32 bit server OS's have much lower visible/useable memory amounts but, you should be fine with only 8GB (as if 8 GB isn't a LOT of RAM anyway though!!)

the thing that concerns me a lot is that it says i have 8Gb's in system properties but not in task manager, second i installed windows server 2008 enterprise edition 32x and it says that the max is 64Gb's of ram, third my system can handle up to 24Gb's
!