Using tv as monitor forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambler143

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Hello,

I am using a Toshiba 42HL167 42" flat panel TV as a monitor for my computer. I am running windows XP home edition. I don't seem to be having any resolution issues, I can see web pages and read them just fine but my colors are crappy. Purples are pink and reds are nearly black. My 2 color options under display properties are 32 bit and 16 bit and neither choice seems to make much difference. Changing the screen resolution does nothing as well. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks in advance for any and all help

if you are using a standard vga cable, switch that for a dvi or hdmi cable. Make sure the cable isn't faulty. Is it a plasma TV or an LCD? Plasma tv's have problems producing incorrect correct colours and making them dithered and speckly, quite frankly I can't stand them.

gambler143

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
It's an LCD tv and I am using a VGA cable. The picture itself is good and everything is readable, it's just the colors that are off. I may have to go to hdmi but I wanted to see if there was anything I could do with what I had. Thank you for your reply.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
You'd probably have better results with an hdmi cable. The problem with VGA is that it only supplies RGB information and the colors could be a bit off (though not as drastic as your case), until you adjust the TV settings or on the Control Panel.

Your cable might also just be the culprit, and since you'd probably buy a new cable, go for HDMI.

gambler143

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

The only problem there is since tv picture is fine, I'm scared of trying to adjust for computer picture. I think I am just going to get an hdmi cable. Thank you for your reply.

leon2006

Distinguished
Provide the details of your PC (Specs) to be able to assess its capability.

HDMI port/cable @ 1080P is the best setup for your display. What resolution are you setting it.

VGA is an analog interface and degrades with lenght and other factors.

HDMI is digital and immune from signal interference between the GPU and TV.

Also check your HDTV manual to make sure that when you use your HDMI port, The HDTV is set for PC interface mode.

Normal HDTV and BlueRay are recorded at 24HZ 1080P. Some HDTV reprocess the video to enhance the quality of the video. You don't need that feature with PC driving HDTV. PC/GPU are very fluid or dynamic in nature. The frame rate changes with the task the pc is doing (PC normal task or 3D game). The HDTV has to be in PC-interface mode.

I have 3 HDTV (70 inch, 52 inch, 50 inch) connected to 3 different PC. All are link through HDMI and set to 1080P. I have no issues with it.

Text are great same as PC games. The cards that i use (4890 CF, GTX 280, GT 8800 OC 512).

Status
Not open for further replies.