Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Powering GTX 460 to the OCZ 600w PSU

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 9, 2010 6:44:56 AM

I am confused... Sorry noob here.

So the card requires 2 6-pin PCIe connectors but the PSU came with one 6 pin PCIe and one 6+2 pin PCIe...

The card came with a couple 6pin to two 3pin molex adapters, but i want to avoid using those since all my hardware runs on SATA.

So my question is do i plug both of those 6pin PCI cords and have the extra 2pins just hang there? Or will one PCI cord suffice?

I can't figure out the amps, volts, etc....... Thanks for your help in advance.

what i got:

GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-768I GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
September 9, 2010 6:48:19 AM

Yep the 6+2 can be used just as a 6 pin PCIe connector Plug in both 6 pin connectors to GPU
m
0
l
September 9, 2010 6:51:53 AM

batuchka said:
Yep the 6+2 can be used just as a 6 pin PCIe connector Plug in both 6 pin connectors to GPU


I looked it up and there are 25A on 12v rails... so i am guessing i need to plug both 6 pin and 6+2 pin connector?

Then my question is how is this PSU SLI certified if i am going to be using both red 8pin sockets for one card? That only leaves me with 4 black 6pin sockets on the PSU.

Thanks
m
0
l
Related resources
September 9, 2010 6:58:15 AM

You need to fill both 6 pins on the card in order to have it work. Yes, you just leave the 2 pins hanging there.
m
0
l
September 9, 2010 7:00:42 AM

karma831 said:
You need to fill both 6 pins on the card in order to have it work. Yes, you just leave the 2 pins hanging there.


Okay thanks. I got that. I just hooked it up...

That leaves no more PCIe slots on the PSU so it is NOT SLI ready... Oh well i was not planning on SLI anyways, just got me confused. Thank you.
m
0
l
September 9, 2010 7:04:02 AM

Klimentiy said:
Okay thanks. I got that. I just hooked it up...

That leaves no more PCIe slots on the PSU so it is NOT SLI ready... Oh well i was not planning on SLI anyways, just got me confused. Thank you.


Hmms...I'm pretty sure it is SLI ready...Does it not have any more slots on the PSU to plug-in additional PCIe connectors? It is modular so you can plug in whatever you need and leave out what you don't.
m
0
l
September 9, 2010 7:07:54 AM

karma831 said:
Hmms...I'm pretty sure it is SLI ready...Does it not have any more slots on the PSU to plug-in additional PCIe connectors? It is modular so you can plug in whatever you need and leave out what you don't.


Nope.

2 eight pin red slots and 4 six pin black slots, comes with 2 PCIe cables, and way to many SATA, molex, floppy connectors.

One single cable has 3 SATA, or 3 MOLEX with one floppy at the end.

I have a single HDD and a single ODD so all i need is one SATA cable which still leaves me with one SATA connector available on the power cord. I have no use for MOLEX/floppy cords.

Wish they would have added extra PCIe slots/cables instead
m
0
l
September 9, 2010 7:10:24 AM

I also have one more question..... On the LED and power/reset button cables running from the case front plate it has a "G" and a "triangle" on the connectors.... So i am guess "G" is for ground and means negative while a triangle is positive? Thanks
m
0
l
!