Slave flash for cheap digital cameras?

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 3, 2005 4:39:01 AM

Practically all of my indoor (flash aided) shots with my Kodak DX4530 are
too dark. I now accept that given ISO and lack of manual over-rides, this
will always be the case. The camera takes great o/door shots ...and good
unaided daylight indoor pix.

My question to the group, is has anyone used the relatively cheap ($59 on
ebay) slave flash units made by Bower or Phoenix? These units *do not*
require a hot shoe .....and are mounted on the accessory shoe of the
enclosed mounting bracket, which is screwed on to the tripod mount of the
camera. Alternatively, they can evidently be set up on a mini tripod and be
triggered by the camera's flash.

My understanding is that these are pretty much compatible with any point and
shoot digital camera. I'm quite interested in whether the little extra
"boost" will make these pictures tolerable w/out having to resort to PC
software enhancement.

Thanks,
Keith
heydon@gmail.com
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 5:23:11 AM

These should work as long as you don't use redeye reduction mode, or the
camera prefires the flash for exposure check or whatever before the main
exposure.
John

"PNWestposter" <nothinghere@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Practically all of my indoor (flash aided) shots with my Kodak DX4530 are
> too dark. I now accept that given ISO and lack of manual over-rides, this
> will always be the case. The camera takes great o/door shots ...and good
> unaided daylight indoor pix.
>
> My question to the group, is has anyone used the relatively cheap ($59 on
> ebay) slave flash units made by Bower or Phoenix? These units *do not*
> require a hot shoe .....and are mounted on the accessory shoe of the
> enclosed mounting bracket, which is screwed on to the tripod mount of the
> camera. Alternatively, they can evidently be set up on a mini tripod and
> be
> triggered by the camera's flash.
>
> My understanding is that these are pretty much compatible with any point
> and
> shoot digital camera. I'm quite interested in whether the little extra
> "boost" will make these pictures tolerable w/out having to resort to PC
> software enhancement.
>
> Thanks,
> Keith
> heydon@gmail.com

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 5:43:13 AM

You want to get the ones specifically for digitals that fire a preflash if
you camera does this. They cost a bit more but are worth it. I keep one with
a tiny tripod in my bag in case I want to light up areas that are beyond the
reach of my on camera flash.

"PNWestposter" <nothinghere@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Practically all of my indoor (flash aided) shots with my Kodak DX4530 are
> too dark. I now accept that given ISO and lack of manual over-rides, this
> will always be the case. The camera takes great o/door shots ...and good
> unaided daylight indoor pix.
>
> My question to the group, is has anyone used the relatively cheap ($59 on
> ebay) slave flash units made by Bower or Phoenix? These units *do not*
> require a hot shoe .....and are mounted on the accessory shoe of the
> enclosed mounting bracket, which is screwed on to the tripod mount of the
> camera. Alternatively, they can evidently be set up on a mini tripod and
be
> triggered by the camera's flash.
>
> My understanding is that these are pretty much compatible with any point
and
> shoot digital camera. I'm quite interested in whether the little extra
> "boost" will make these pictures tolerable w/out having to resort to PC
> software enhancement.
>
> Thanks,
> Keith
> heydon@gmail.com

January 4, 2005 5:34:42 PM

Yes, I use this sort of system - sometimes with 2 flashguns. A tip -
tape a piece of exposed negative film over the camera flash - this
allows through IR to trigger the slaves but cuts out the light from
the flash - which stops it casting shadows behind the subject.

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 01:39:01 GMT, "PNWestposter" <nothinghere@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>Practically all of my indoor (flash aided) shots with my Kodak DX4530 are
>too dark. I now accept that given ISO and lack of manual over-rides, this
>will always be the case. The camera takes great o/door shots ...and good
>unaided daylight indoor pix.
>
>My question to the group, is has anyone used the relatively cheap ($59 on
>ebay) slave flash units made by Bower or Phoenix? These units *do not*
>require a hot shoe .....and are mounted on the accessory shoe of the
>enclosed mounting bracket, which is screwed on to the tripod mount of the
>camera. Alternatively, they can evidently be set up on a mini tripod and be
>triggered by the camera's flash.
>
>My understanding is that these are pretty much compatible with any point and
>shoot digital camera. I'm quite interested in whether the little extra
>"boost" will make these pictures tolerable w/out having to resort to PC
>software enhancement.
>
>Thanks,
>Keith
>heydon@gmail.com

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 8:59:54 PM

Hi Keith,
I'm considering the same thing myself. If you made the leap, would you
post your experience.
Thanks!
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:03:11 PM

Hi Keith,
I'm considering the same thing myself. If you made the leap, would you
post your experience.
Thanks!
January 21, 2005 5:20:34 AM

Ritz Camera has a bare bones slave flash for 20 bucks.

Steve

!