Possible Blown Capacitors - Need advice

emmerikxxii

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Hello,

I recently transferred my motherboard and other components into a new case. The machine POST'd and started up just fine. A few minutes in I heard two sounds that to me sounded like rather quiet pops. I smelled a faint plasticy smell that I assumed was electrical burn and proceeded to freak out. I thought I blew some capacitors. Upon further inspection I found no bulging capacitors. I can't check the entirety of the Mobo because it's a Sabertooth p67 and Asus informed that that removal of the Thermal Armor would void my warranty. However my video card, PSU and exposed parts of the Motherboard are free of damaged caps. Also, there is no smell. I inspected every component of the machine and none of them have a lingering smell of a fried capacitor. I remember this smell being quite noticeable from past experiences with blown caps, though it's been quite some time.

Currently I am using:

Intel i5-2500k CPU at 3.3GHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 6950
4Gb G-skill 1600Mhz Ram
650W Coolermaster PSU
300GB 10k RPM WD VelociRaptor HDD
1155 Asus Sabertooth P67 board

As of this post, the machine works just fine. AI Suite II and HWmonitor both report normal temperatures and voltages for all components. I've ran some stress-tests, benchmarks and memory tests and all are problem free. I haven't had any errors. AI Suite II gave me one pop-up warning but it disappeared before I even got a chance to read it. It's possible that the sound may have been one of the HDD enclosures that I did not properly secure because when I opened the case it had taken a little tumble to the bottom of the case. It doesn't explain the smell though.

Can anyone give me some advice, or perhaps some other options to make sure my components are safe?

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Get a new power supply.

More often than not, loud noises accompanied by burning smells are caused by a faulty power supply. In the transition, a screw or other metal object may have fallen into the PSU. The capacitors on your components are likely all "solid state" caps so they won't show obvious signs if they fail...but they rarely fail so that is very probably NOT the issue on those components) Caps may have blown in your PSU if you want to be thinking like that, but it's best just to say your PSU died.

Let us know how it goes. And DO NOT try and power up your system with the old PSU as that may cause greater issues...

emmerikxxii

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
I wouldn't even call it loud. The pops were rather quiet. Maybe even so that they'd be considered snaps. I have tested the power supply and I am getting good readings for 3.3, 5 and 12V. The computer never crashed and has yet to. I haven't had any problems since I heard the pops. I am beginning to wonder if nothing is wrong after all and I am just paranoid.