Sign in with
Your question

Better screen, or better video card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 4:05:29 AM

Hello,
I am looking at purchasing a Dell XPS Studio 16". There is the option of the following:

RGBLED Screen (VERY nice) with ATI 4670

WLED Screen (Normal, still nice) with ATI 5730

I am interested in gaming, GTA IV, Fallout 3, L4D2, TF2, etc, and was wondering whether the nice screen is worth the inferior video card. The cost is the same. What would you say?

More about : screen video card

a c 194 U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 4:09:59 AM

A nice screen will last you much longer than that video card, plus you can replace the video card for a superior one for $150, the screen is bound to cost more.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 4:13:44 AM

hunter315 said:
A nice screen will last you much longer than that video card, plus you can replace the video card for a superior one for $150, the screen is bound to cost more.

Do you mean that I can physically replace the card on the laptop, or that there is an upgrade available upon purchasing? I cannot get the combination of 5730 and RGBLED if that's what you meant.
m
l
Related resources
a c 194 U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 4:15:45 AM

damn, spaced for a bit there and missed the fact that they were laptops, sorry about that, ignore my last post.

Since its a laptop i would go for the 5730 with the slightly less nice screen since you wont be able to swap the GPU. The 5730 will perform a fair bit better than the 4670 but one main advantage is it will be lower power so you will get better battery life out of it.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 4:20:40 AM

Yeah, the power situation is interesting too. It's just that with everything I've read, the RGBLED screen is just WONDERFUL, but yeah, and the 5730 will be more future proof, too.
m
l
a c 259 U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 4:42:40 AM

I vote for the better screen. You will see and touch it every day. Gaming will still be decent, I think. Have you found any benchmarks comparing the FPS of the games you want to play?
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 5:55:48 AM

Get the laptop with the HD 5730.

Why?

It will last you longer as a gaming laptop. The HD 4670 is a bit weaker than the the HD 5730. The HD 5730 comes with a "normal" screen, but will last you longers. The HD 4670 comes with a "nice screen", but you're gonna wanna upgrade soon rather than later so that "nice, shiny" screen will not be with you for a while.

If possible and if available, upgrade the HD 5730 to something a bit higher. It may cost an extra $100 or so, but it will give you extra time to save up money for your next gaming laptop (or desktop).

m
l
a c 259 U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 1:23:12 PM

If gaming will be a problem with the weaker video chip, find a way to get both the goood screen AND the better video.
If you don't get what you want, you paid too much for it.
m
l
!