Sign in with
Your question
Solved

F: Drive "Access Denied" (2TB HDD)

Last response: in Storage
December 18, 2012 8:46:51 PM

First of all, thank you for taking you´re time and reading this.

HDD MODEL: Samsung HD204UI
PARTITION: NTFS

This is my current situation.

I´m unable to access my HDD, last months, the ratio speed of the HDD has been from 30MB to a 500kb/s !, this happens when copying files greater than a 1 GB as an example, it started with the 30mB/s speed rate but then it slowed to 500kb/s average at 20% of the file or at random parts of copying the file.

I was copying a file with xcopy command line in windows, but then suddenly my HDD turned off.

I´m using this HDD with some cheap china cables (SATA TO USB) I bought in Dealextreme a while ago, but nowadays they are sometimes to loose, either the data cable or power cable, that make the HDD suddenly disconnect or in worst cases turn off.

I used getbackdata to recover some files, it seems I can acces all my files from the software "Getbackdata" and also from the software "Diskgenius".

What I can´t seem to understand is why it is not accesible to read from the Windows explorer making me deal with the only option in Windows wich is Formatting the device, Wich files do I need to repair so I can access again my HDD, It really is a nuisance backing up more than 1 TB of data and formatting my HDD again.

I think the HDD is ok since I can access my files (I really don´t know a lot about HDD filesystems in NTFS), How can I try to repair my HDD guys, any tutorial or useful link will be appreciated.

PS: I also used "Test disk", and tried its options, but then again I could not manage to repair the HDD.

Thanks in advanced.

Best solution

December 19, 2012 4:56:47 PM

If the device is foreign to the computer, you may have to take ownership of all the directories and files. Assuming it is an NTFS and not a device issue.

Related resources
December 19, 2012 5:09:50 PM

I used the partition wizard utility to see if I could acces the directories and from what I saw I could, as you said I researched the takeown option, and it worked. I can now acces my files.

I typed in CMD,
Quote:
takeown Drive letter.

Now my concern is on this report made by crystaldiskinfo, Heres the image:

m
l
December 19, 2012 7:54:42 PM

If it were me, I would find a new home for all the data you can read as soon as possible. You can continue troubleshooting and possible warranty replacement after you have your data safe on another location.

I would eliminate the cheap USB adapter from the equation while troubleshooting.
m
l
December 29, 2012 1:32:04 AM

Best answer selected by yudopplyr.
m
l
!