Bluetooth adapter....usb?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 1:56:40 PM

Is there an inexpensive bluetooth adapter I can use for both my laptop and
desktop? Plug into a usb port?

More about : bluetooth adapter usb

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 4:28:10 PM

John O'Keefe wrote:
> Is there an inexpensive bluetooth adapter I can use for both my
laptop and
> desktop? Plug into a usb port?

I would not use the same BT Dongle (adapter) for 2 systems, I tried
that and it really screws up the pairing sequence between devices as
the computer ID will be different but the hardware ID will be the same.

Also, check our software packages, you don't want some 3rd rate
software package, I'd get a belkin or some other high end company
(excluding MS as MS has their own driver set that is incompatable as
hell).

Also IBM may have good drivers too.

I personally use one from a company called Orange Micro but I'm not
very happy with its range.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 23, 2004 2:11:15 AM

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:56:40 GMT, "John O'Keefe" <faclach@comcast.net>
wrote :

>Is there an inexpensive bluetooth adapter I can use for both my laptop and
>desktop? Plug into a usb port?

There are usually lots on eBay. Or else buy any bluetooth accessory
(mouse or keyboard) and it will usually come with a USB adapter. I've
actually got a spare one, as my laptop came with bluetooth built-in,
and I wanted a bluetooth mouse, but couldn't find one that came
without an adapter! I eventually bought an MS Intellimouse Explorer
for Bluetooth, which came with the USB adapter for AU$145. Care to
buy my spare adapter???

--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

Peter Wilkins <wilkinsp_nospam@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>There are usually lots on eBay. Or else buy any bluetooth accessory
>(mouse or keyboard) and it will usually come with a USB adapter. I've
>actually got a spare one, as my laptop came with bluetooth built-in,
>and I wanted a bluetooth mouse, but couldn't find one that came
>without an adapter! I eventually bought an MS Intellimouse Explorer
>for Bluetooth, which came with the USB adapter for AU$145. Care to
>buy my spare adapter???

How does your MS BT IME work? I've got one, and it takes a second or
two to come back to life after going into sleep mode (10 minutes of
inactivity?) I've talked to MS about it, and they reccomend not using
the builtin BT adapter in my Dell Latitude d600, but using their
dongle instead. Sounds kinda silly, and I haven't had a chance to try
it yet, but I'm going to give it a shot next year, along with their
drivers...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 23, 2004 4:38:50 AM

William wrote:
> How does your MS BT IME work? I've got one, and it takes a second or
> two to come back to life after going into sleep mode (10 minutes of
> inactivity?) I've talked to MS about it, and they reccomend not
using
> the builtin BT adapter in my Dell Latitude d600, but using their
> dongle instead. Sounds kinda silly, and I haven't had a chance to
try
> it yet, but I'm going to give it a shot next year, along with their
> drivers...

I wouldn't use the MS drivers, the reason that I've seen for the BT to
come back to life if you are using WIDCOMM drivers (best out there) is
because it has to re-discover that the bluetooth device is there and
search for devices in range. It does this because it can't be sure
that its old list is still valid, so it stays off until it completes a
search.

I could be wrong in this, of course.

If you are saying that its 10 minutes of inactivity before you can use
it again, wow, that's impressive delay... I wouldn't think that my
above explination would work in that case.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 23, 2004 4:41:51 AM

William wrote:
> How does your MS BT IME work? I've got one, and it takes a second or
> two to come back to life after going into sleep mode (10 minutes of
> inactivity?) I've talked to MS about it, and they reccomend not
using
> the builtin BT adapter in my Dell Latitude d600, but using their
> dongle instead. Sounds kinda silly, and I haven't had a chance to
try
> it yet, but I'm going to give it a shot next year, along with their
> drivers...

I wouldn't use the MS drivers, the reason that I've seen for the BT to
come back to life if you are using WIDCOMM drivers (best out there) is
because it has to re-discover that the bluetooth device is there and
search for devices in range. It does this because it can't be sure
that its old list is still valid, so it stays off until it completes a
search.

I could be wrong in this, of course.

If you are saying that its 10 minutes of inactivity before you can use
it again, wow, that's impressive delay... I wouldn't think that my
above explination would work in that case.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 27, 2004 12:33:53 AM

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:04:11 -0500, William P.N. Smith wrote :

>Peter Wilkins <wilkinsp_nospam@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>>There are usually lots on eBay. Or else buy any bluetooth accessory
>>(mouse or keyboard) and it will usually come with a USB adapter. I've
>>actually got a spare one, as my laptop came with bluetooth built-in,
>>and I wanted a bluetooth mouse, but couldn't find one that came
>>without an adapter! I eventually bought an MS Intellimouse Explorer
>>for Bluetooth, which came with the USB adapter for AU$145. Care to
>>buy my spare adapter???
>
>How does your MS BT IME work? I've got one, and it takes a second or
>two to come back to life after going into sleep mode (10 minutes of
>inactivity?) I've talked to MS about it, and they reccomend not using
>the builtin BT adapter in my Dell Latitude d600, but using their
>dongle instead. Sounds kinda silly, and I haven't had a chance to try
>it yet, but I'm going to give it a shot next year, along with their
>drivers...

I have never plugged in the MS BT dongle - I just used the built-in
Toshiba BT and had no problems or delays at all. I just turned on the
RF power switch on my laptop, put a battery in the mouse, and the
Bluetooth devices window automatically found the mouse and gave me the
option of setting or not setting a passkey. MS documentation said not
to, so I didn't. I don't see any sleep mode for the Toshiba BT or for
the mouse - I just have the normal Toshiba power options in the
Toshiba Power Management Facility. The mouse is always on unless I
turn off the RF power switch or disable the BT service. I do get a
few seconds delay coming back from hibernation, but that's normal.

I'm very pleased with the BT IME, best mouse I've ever had, but it has
some disadvantages. I like the battery life, sideways scrolling on
the wheel, and the general performance, but I find the front thumb
button difficult to activate. The rear one is OK. It's also a bit
difficult to pick up and replace the mouse on the mousepad when making
large scrolling movements - my fingers slip sometimes unless I squeeze
the mouse hard.

Oh, my daughter has pinched my spare MS dongle so her bluetooth phone
can talk to her computer. Sorry about that.

--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

Peter Wilkins <wilkinsp_nospam@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>I have never plugged in the MS BT dongle - I just used the built-in
>Toshiba BT and had no problems or delays at all.

Maybe it's something about the Dell BT interface, as mine definately
takes a few moments to wake up when I start moving it after it goes to
sleep. I'll have to do some more fiddling.

Thanks for the feedback!
!