Need help composing a picture of fine crystal........

Hello,

I need some suggestions on how I could best take a picture of some fine
crystal pieces (5 total) that my Mom has. They are all only 1 to 2.5 inches
tall. She has them all sitting on top of a mirror, but there is no light
source near them. I have a few lights, Christmas lights, a flash light and
an interior design light that takes a 60 watt bulb.

I'd like to some how incorporate the color blue in the picture too. Perhaps
from the Christmas lights.

I've got a Canon A85 4.0 megapixel digital camera with a macro mode. But
I'm just not sure how to best setup the picture. Some how I'd like the get
a picture of the light reflecting off the crystal. And perhaps getting a
starburst effect. That I know how to do, just set my camera to Aperture
Piority mode and close the aperture, adjust exposure and ISO until I get
exactly the effect I'm looking for..

Any suggestions on how to best setup this picture?

Thanks,

Jeff
7 answers Last reply
More about need composing picture fine crystal

    "JMI" <ingramje@wctel.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I need some suggestions on how I could best take a picture of some fine
    > crystal pieces (5 total) that my Mom has. They are all only 1 to 2.5
    inches
    > tall. She has them all sitting on top of a mirror, but there is no light
    > source near them. I have a few lights, Christmas lights, a flash light
    and
    > an interior design light that takes a 60 watt bulb.
    >
    > I'd like to some how incorporate the color blue in the picture too.
    Perhaps
    > from the Christmas lights.
    >
    > I've got a Canon A85 4.0 megapixel digital camera with a macro mode. But
    > I'm just not sure how to best setup the picture. Some how I'd like the
    get
    > a picture of the light reflecting off the crystal. And perhaps getting a
    > starburst effect. That I know how to do, just set my camera to Aperture
    > Piority mode and close the aperture, adjust exposure and ISO until I get
    > exactly the effect I'm looking for..
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to best setup this picture?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

    If you want sparkle, you need intense, bright lights...such as halogen track
    lights...placed fairly close to, or focussed tightly on the piece. Then you
    can rotate either the lights or the piece to find points of reflection that
    are to your liking.

    You need a couple spot lights to get sparkling reflections of the crystal.
    You can use a star filter over the lens or create that with software.
    John

    "JMI" <ingramje@wctel.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I need some suggestions on how I could best take a picture of some fine
    > crystal pieces (5 total) that my Mom has. They are all only 1 to 2.5
    > inches tall. She has them all sitting on top of a mirror, but there is no
    > light source near them. I have a few lights, Christmas lights, a flash
    > light and an interior design light that takes a 60 watt bulb.
    >
    > I'd like to some how incorporate the color blue in the picture too.
    > Perhaps from the Christmas lights.
    >
    > I've got a Canon A85 4.0 megapixel digital camera with a macro mode. But
    > I'm just not sure how to best setup the picture. Some how I'd like the
    > get a picture of the light reflecting off the crystal. And perhaps
    > getting a starburst effect. That I know how to do, just set my camera to
    > Aperture Piority mode and close the aperture, adjust exposure and ISO
    > until I get exactly the effect I'm looking for..
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to best setup this picture?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

    Thanks for the response! I can do the starburst effect with my camera. I
    know because that's what I did with our Christmas tree this year.

    Do spot lights use a different kind of bulb? I ask because I have light
    that takes a standard 60 watt light blub.

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    "JohnR66" <nospam@att.net> wrote in message
    > You need a couple spot lights to get sparkling reflections of the crystal.
    > You can use a star filter over the lens or create that with software.
    > John
    >

    > "JMI" <ingramje@wctel.net> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I need some suggestions on how I could best take a picture of some fine
    >> crystal pieces (5 total) that my Mom has. They are all only 1 to 2.5
    >> inches tall. She has them all sitting on top of a mirror, but there is no
    >> light source near them. I have a few lights, Christmas lights, a flash
    >> light and an interior design light that takes a 60 watt bulb.
    >>
    >> I'd like to some how incorporate the color blue in the picture too.
    >> Perhaps from the Christmas lights.
    >>
    >> I've got a Canon A85 4.0 megapixel digital camera with a macro mode.
    >> But I'm just not sure how to best setup the picture. Some how I'd like
    >> the get a picture of the light reflecting off the crystal. And perhaps
    >> getting a starburst effect. That I know how to do, just set my camera to
    >> Aperture Piority mode and close the aperture, adjust exposure and ISO
    >> until I get exactly the effect I'm looking for..
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on how to best setup this picture?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jeff

    Using a normal incandescent bulb will be quite yellow...so set your white
    balance. When I shoot stuff like that I like to use a shooting tent.
    Something white...I like a shower curtain...and build a frame to shape it
    around the piece. Put the lights outside the tent...except for the ones you
    want to add color....I don't know if in or out is better as I haven't tried
    that.

    > Thanks for the response! I can do the starburst effect with my camera. I
    > know because that's what I did with our Christmas tree this year.
    >
    > Do spot lights use a different kind of bulb? I ask because I have light
    > that takes a standard 60 watt light blub.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff
    >

    > "JohnR66" <nospam@att.net> wrote in message
    > > You need a couple spot lights to get sparkling reflections of the
    crystal.
    > > You can use a star filter over the lens or create that with software.
    > > John
    > >

    > > "JMI" <ingramje@wctel.net> wrote in message
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> I need some suggestions on how I could best take a picture of some fine
    > >> crystal pieces (5 total) that my Mom has. They are all only 1 to 2.5
    > >> inches tall. She has them all sitting on top of a mirror, but there is
    no
    > >> light source near them. I have a few lights, Christmas lights, a flash
    > >> light and an interior design light that takes a 60 watt bulb.
    > >>
    > >> I'd like to some how incorporate the color blue in the picture too.
    > >> Perhaps from the Christmas lights.
    > >>
    > >> I've got a Canon A85 4.0 megapixel digital camera with a macro mode.
    > >> But I'm just not sure how to best setup the picture. Some how I'd like
    > >> the get a picture of the light reflecting off the crystal. And perhaps
    > >> getting a starburst effect. That I know how to do, just set my camera
    > >> Aperture Piority mode and close the aperture, adjust exposure and ISO
    > >> until I get exactly the effect I'm looking for..
    > >>
    > >> Any suggestions on how to best setup this picture?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >>
    > >> Jeff

    For starters ... there are several excellent tutorials "on the web."

    Web Photo School - Techniques for Shooting Jewelry
    http://www.webphotoschool.com/Lesson_Library/Free_Lessons/Techniques_for_Sh
    ooting_Jewelry/index.html

    Tabletop Studio
    http://www.tabletopstudio.com/documents/HowTo_page.htm

    http://www.tabletopstudio.com/documents/glass_photography.htm

    http://www.tabletopstudio.com/documents/glassbead_photography.htm

    Adorama
    http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=academy_articles&sid=1104777007973980
    9

    You can probably find quite a few more using your friendly local search
    engine.

    In article <Dx2Cd.9702$PY6.6680@trndny02>, palmiter_gene@verizon.net says...

    >Using a normal incandescent bulb will be quite yellow...so set your white
    >balance. When I shoot stuff like that I like to use a shooting tent.
    >Something white...I like a shower curtain...and build a frame to shape it
    >around the piece. Put the lights outside the tent...except for the ones you
    >want to add color....I don't know if in or out is better as I haven't tried
    >that.

    That is a start, diffused white light (or balanced light) a white card to
    reflect that onto the glass from one side and two black cards on the other
    sides. make sure they don't mix on the mirror. I like a hotter light, a
    construction light for instance (1000W Totalights are my favorite) but then you
    have to worry about setting the diffuser on fire (Rosco diffusion materials
    solve that). Good luck
    Tom

    > "JMI" <ingramje@wctel.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I need some suggestions on how I could best take a picture of some fine
    >>crystal pieces (5 total) that my Mom has. They are all only 1 to 2.5
    >
    > inches
    >
    >>tall. She has them all sitting on top of a mirror, but there is no light
    >>source near them. I have a few lights, Christmas lights, a flash light
    >
    > and
    >
    >>an interior design light that takes a 60 watt bulb.
    >>
    >>I'd like to some how incorporate the color blue in the picture too.
    >
    > Perhaps
    >
    >>from the Christmas lights.
    >>
    >>I've got a Canon A85 4.0 megapixel digital camera with a macro mode.
    >
    > But
    >
    >>I'm just not sure how to best setup the picture. Some how I'd like the
    >
    > get
    >
    >>a picture of the light reflecting off the crystal. And perhaps getting a
    >>starburst effect. That I know how to do, just set my camera to Aperture
    >>Piority mode and close the aperture, adjust exposure and ISO until I get
    >>exactly the effect I'm looking for..
    >>
    >>Any suggestions on how to best setup this picture?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Jeff

    If you want to see excellent pictures of fine crystal, check out:
    http://www.vanrossen.com/GlassArt.html He is also great at jewelry.

    I don't know his techniques, but I have done some e-mail with him. He
    says that it's way to complicated to explain in e-mail. He does seem to
    use a lot more spot lights than most recommend for this type of
    photography. It does look good though.

    Clyde

Light Crystal Cameras