nuclearsharkhead

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Yea so I spent the whole morning and about half this afternoon going back and forth btwn the APB forums and replacing two motherboards back and forth wondering why it wouldn't turn on. Then I realized I still hadn't plugged in the tiny "power switch" wire and did so. I deserve a round of applause, but alas the journey is not over!

In the process of moving mobos I also had to transplant two CPUs a number of times, bending a bajillion pins on both, and driving me crazy. I had to spend time setting them straight using an extremely tiny flathead screwdriver, under glaring LED light so I could see the pins, in two separate instances in the same day. But they survived! I think. >__>;;

CURRENT PREDICAMENT: The new mobo has no idea that my OS exists, so apparently I have to reinstall Windows 7 64-bit. Luckily I have a boot disc at hand... but the single DVD-ROM drive I have won't open when I press it. How do I fix this? The DVD-ROM driver is plugged into SATA 4 and the internal hard drive is plugged into SATA 3.

Stunner77

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Hi nuclear, I will give a few options for you to try although it sounds as if your ROM drive is dead and or your psu is not powering it.

Always the first thing to try is use a different dvd-rom drive if you have one.

Try a different power plug from the psu to get it to power on.

Try a different sata port (although it not opening is different than it not being recognized) if it has power from the psu it should open.

It might be stuck most ROM drives have a small pin-hole sized manual opening hole try and put something in it to open it up and see if that fixes your problem.

g/l