Your question

Asus Radeon HD 5770 Temperature Concerns

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 3, 2010 6:20:20 AM

Hey TH Community,

I just finished building my first PC. The specs are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
MotherBoard: Asus M4A87TD EVO
GPU: Asus Radeon HD 5770 (EAH5000 Series)
RAM: G-Skill 4GB 1600MHz Ram

I also installed StarCraft II. I played a couple of games at Ultra Settings (The highest) and then checked my GPU temperature with CPUID. It reads 94 C.
It's idling at 49-55 C as I write this. Should I be concerned?
I read some posts by other users on TH and most of them are reporting an idle time of around 27-39 C.

StarCraft 2 isn't considered a game that requires powerful hardware, but
I played only two games and it jumped to 94 C, so I'm a bit scared that it won't be able to handle long hours of gaming.

Any experts or enthusiast gamer out there who can tell me
1. How much heat can this card handle?
2. What should I do to help keep it cool? I don't want to just burn out my card, its new and it wasn't cheap.

Thanks
-Majinn
August 3, 2010 6:50:19 AM

well from what i know the 5xxx series run very cool and the temps that you are getting are deffinetly not normal. you card is hotter than fermi lol
possible problems:
1.the card might be defective
2. the case might not have good airflow (what case do you have?)
3. the thermal paste might have powdered it self

solutions:
1. rma the card
2. get a better case or add more fans
3. open up the gpu stock cooler and reapply thermal paste ( this might aviod your warranty so check with the manufacure)
4. replace the stock cooler with a after market cooler
sorry for my spelling, my english is not soo perfect.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 7:03:11 AM

Much too hot for a 5770. I suggest you apply the Sc2 fix mentioned above ASAP, although it may be too late. Apparently quite a few people have fried their cards this way.
m
l
Related resources
August 3, 2010 8:21:47 AM

Quote:
94 is hot for 5770.My 5850 hardly crosses 80c.Are u getting high temp only playing starcraft2 becoz it has a bug which overheats gpu and burns it.Though it can be fixed www.tomshardware.com/news/starcraft-overheating,10984.h... if u get high temp in other games then u need to worry about.

Sorry, but I don't think that link you gave me works.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 8:29:53 AM

Even the idle temperatures are high.Does your case have good airflow?Is your PSU blowing hot air on your 5770?
m
l
August 3, 2010 8:30:15 AM

deagle_94 said:
well from what i know the 5xxx series run very cool and the temps that you are getting are deffinetly not normal. you card is hotter than fermi lol
possible problems:
1.the card might be defective
2. the case might not have good airflow (what case do you have?)
3. the thermal paste might have powdered it self

solutions:
1. rma the card
2. get a better case or add more fans
3. open up the gpu stock cooler and reapply thermal paste ( this might aviod your warranty so check with the manufacure)
4. replace the stock cooler with a after market cooler
sorry for my spelling, my english is not soo perfect.

I'm using this case:
Ultra X-Blaster Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
m
l
August 3, 2010 10:56:45 AM

majinn said:
I'm using this case:
Ultra X-Blaster Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

sorry to tell you bro but this case does not have good airflow. try other games. or try the patch that the other people are talking about. if that dont fix it reformat windows and start from new. try torture test ur gpu and see if it over heats,fails or works. and if all fails just rma the card to the manufacture but make sure u talk to them first
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 1:26:11 PM

49-55C is not that bad. My 4890s idle at ~60C and hit 90s when I'm playing games.
The 5770 should run cooler than 4890s but that temperature is OK. ATI cards are designed to run hot ~ 90sC at full load.

I haven been playing starcraftII for extended hours and didn't even bother to get the new patch.

The case is not ideal for todays hardware. If you stay at low 90sC(@ full load) it should be OK. 5770 is almost 80W less in power consumption compare to the 4890 so it should work.

Run furmark and prime95 and measure CPU, GPU temps. Measure it for at least ~ 4 hours and that will give you a good profile of your temp.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 1:31:18 PM

You should look at increasing the airflow in your case (eg install more fans), as your idle temperatures are too high let alone the peak temperatures.
m
l
August 4, 2010 2:30:16 AM

Does anyone know if its at all possible to adjust the fan speed of this particular card?
I've taken all the advice given to me so far,

1. I installed a rear fan
2. I've found the StarCraft patch, and done it.
3. I've ran FutureMark's 3D Vantage. My results are here:
http://service.futuremark.com/home.action?resultId=2387...
4. I've run prime95 for a really long time, and my system is stable. (CPU temp under manufacturer's recommended temperatures)
5. I've re-ran StarCraft 2, and my temperature is 76C-80C under StarCraft 2's load and it's idling at 54C. From what people are saying on TH's forums, I don't think 54C at idle is normal.

Any other advice/suggestions?

I bought this card off Newegg and sent in the Original UPC and Serial Number Barcode Label for the mail-in rebate, so according to their policies, my warranty on this card is voided. They say if you remove the original UPC or Bar Code, your warranty is voided. I sure hope I'm not stuck with this. Having to buy a new card and not being able to do anything with this one would sting. Do they still let me RMA it?

thanks,

m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 2:40:24 AM

use CCC set the fan up in overdrive simple. i also have a 5770 and i think its a pile of crap
m
l
August 4, 2010 2:49:58 AM

cia24 said:
use CCC set the fan up in overdrive simple. i also have a 5770 and i think its a pile of crap

I'm not familiar with CCC or Overdrive. Could you be more specific?
m
l
August 4, 2010 2:52:25 AM

cia24 said:

Oh, Cata Control Center =P
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 3:37:50 AM

majinn said:
I'm not familiar with CCC or Overdrive. Could you be more specific?

That sounds quite high -- My Sapphire 5770 card with the Egg shape cooler runs 38C at Idle with a 60% Fan Speed (noise at that speed is lower than my CPU cooler Fans!) set in CCC - Here's a screen of CCC and where to setup the fanspeed :

m
l
August 4, 2010 4:14:20 AM

Here's what mine looks like:

m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 4:28:29 AM

Ahh you never mentioned that you were Ocing it by that much ! - you've got it OC'd quite a bit which also makes the idle speed run much higher so the card never really cools off ! -- Note your Current value GPU and Memory Clock of 400Mhz. and 1435Mhz. vs mine which lowers to 157 and 300 Mhz. at idle - that will make the card Idle much hotter - like it is running under load even when it is sitting idle.
m
l
August 4, 2010 5:03:15 AM

JDFan said:
Ahh you never mentioned that you were Ocing it by that much ! - you've got it OC'd quite a bit which also makes the idle speed run much higher so the card never really cools off ! -- Note your Current value GPU and Memory Clock of 400Mhz. and 1435Mhz. vs mine which lowers to 157 and 300 Mhz. at idle - that will make the card Idle much hotter - like it is running under load even when it is sitting idle.

WHAT? I overclocked it? All I did was use its Auto-Tune feature. How do I change it back??
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 5:17:42 AM

majinn said:
WHAT? I overclocked it? All I did was use its Auto-Tune feature. How do I change it back??

At the bottom of that page select the Defaults button and it will set it back to the default speed of the card -- right now it is OC'd by quite a bit you probably hit the AutoTUne button which will use it's automated Ocing utility to find the maximum OC that the card can run.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 5:20:42 AM

how do you get a max of 1200 in CCC??????
m
l
August 4, 2010 8:57:58 AM

Quote:
u donot need to worry to much about ur idle as long as u keep ur load under 85 u r good.

Well, even after defaulting all the overclocked speeds back to 157Mhz GPU Speed and 300Mhz Memory clock, it's still idling around 44-51ish, and with StarCraft II it reaches 90 C easily.

I'm starting to think this card is defective and can't cool itself properly. But I can't return it because I've sent the UPC and serial number bar code to Asus for the mail-in rebate, which voids my newegg return policy warranty.

Anyone else got advice? This is on my mind for 2 days and counting..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 2:44:58 PM

As dipankar mentioned try increasing the fan speed (they tend to be set pretty low and do not increase until the card is pretty hot so increasing the speed at lower levels will help (I also have found around 60% to be the best balance between noise level and efficiency of cooling)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 2:54:50 PM

ah here it it is paste this into your variables.txt in Documents, StarCraft 2

frameratecap=60
frameratecapGlue=30
m
l
August 4, 2010 3:03:06 PM

My 5770 idles around 49-51c, but when I play games, it only peaks at around 69. Your's is definetly overheating a little when you play games. I have pretty decent airflow.
m
l
August 4, 2010 4:09:53 PM

I have a possible reason for ur problem. I was reading about these cards, comparing it to sapphire vapor x, and I found a number of problems with the heatsink while reading reviews on newegg. It seems like a number of these heatsinks have dimples or unevened surfaces, causing a significantly higher all around (idle and load) temperatures.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=14...

I guess when they work, they work well, but if you got a faulty heatsink, ur screwed.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 4:44:53 PM

I believe the idle temperatures mentioned for this card are high as the idle temperatures for my two 5850s (hotter card) is 38-40C. The max temperature reached under full load is 45C-50C. This is using the stock cooling on these cards Could there be a larger problem with these cards?
m
l
August 4, 2010 6:23:35 PM

You know your Newegg warranty is Void but your warranty with Asus isn't. I'd register the card and contact their support online if I was you. If they won't help and it is an issue with an uneven heatsink or dimples like rparker said, you could take the heatsink off and lap it. (check google for a guide on lapping a heatsink.) Or you could just try applying new thermal paste. Either one of those will most likely void your warranty though. Try adding more case fans first and adjusting the fan speed on your card.
m
l
August 5, 2010 12:40:48 AM

Let me first acknowledge and thank EVERYONE who have posted on this thread and helping me. I've been following this thread every waking minute, and it's well appreciated through this distressing issue. You all could otherwise be volunteering your time helping with the Gulf spill clean up ;) 

In any event, let me try to reply to everyone:

Quote:
What about temp in other games.u need to speed up the fan to 63percent while playing games.

I've only installed StarCraft II. I don't think it makes sense to install Crysis or any other GPU-intensive game if I can't even handle a relatively weak game like SC2. If it makes any difference, I have FutureMark's 3D Vantage, and have ran it several times. I've even posted the results on this thread in a previous post above. Running 3D Vantage, however have proved to push the Temperatures surpassing 93 C+ very easily. The Fan Speed is already up to 80%

JDFan said:
As dipankar mentioned try increasing the fan speed (they tend to be set pretty low and do not increase until the card is pretty hot so increasing the speed at lower levels will help (I also have found around 60% to be the best balance between noise level and efficiency of cooling)

I've already cranked it up to 80%. I've tried 100%, but that's a noise level that's just unbearable to anyone :) 
With 80% however, It's still idling at around 46-49ish C.

plznote said:
ah here it it is paste this into your variables.txt in Documents, StarCraft 2

frameratecap=60
frameratecapGlue=30

This fix has already been posted and I've tried it. It's not working.

cowgod2007 said:
My 5770 idles around 49-51c, but when I play games, it only peaks at around 69. Your's is definetly overheating a little when you play games. I have pretty decent airflow.

I've read a lot of post and articles on the Radeon HD 5770, and the HD 5XXX series in general. These cards are designed to run very cool and generally idles at 20-37ish C. I would love to be peaking at 69C. I suppose your card is one of the cards that do :) 
Regarding airflow, I've added fans and have even tried testing it without the side panel. The problem still persist :( 

rparker said:
I have a possible reason for ur problem. I was reading about these cards, comparing it to sapphire vapor x, and I found a number of problems with the heatsink while reading reviews on newegg. It seems like a number of these heatsinks have dimples or unevened surfaces, causing a significantly higher all around (idle and load) temperatures.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=14...

I guess when they work, they work well, but if you got a faulty heatsink, ur screwed.

That's an interesting point. I'll read more into that. Thanks. But am I really screwed? Could I still contact the manufacturer and get some help?

deweycd said:
I believe the idle temperatures mentioned for this card are high as the idle temperatures for my two 5850s (hotter card) is 38-40C. The max temperature reached under full load is 45C-50C. This is using the stock cooling on these cards Could there be a larger problem with these cards?

I'm so glad you posted that. Now there's a relative comparison for others to see the gravity of the issue. The 5770 cards shouldn't be heating up more than the 5850. Under full load, your 5850s reaches 45C-50C and my 5770 climbs to 93C+ playing StarCraft 2 suggests that there's really something wrong.

Andon48 said:
You know your Newegg warranty is Void but your warranty with Asus isn't. I'd register the card and contact their support online if I was you. If they won't help and it is an issue with an uneven heatsink or dimples like rparker said, you could take the heatsink off and lap it. (check google for a guide on lapping a heatsink.) Or you could just try applying new thermal paste. Either one of those will most likely void your warranty though. Try adding more case fans first and adjusting the fan speed on your card.

I think you might be right about the warranty with Asus. I'll have to check that. If it further voids my Asus warranty too, I think I'm better off not lapping it or apply new thermal paste. Regarding the case fans and GPU Card fan speed, I've added case fans and knocked my card fan speed up to 80% already. It's not doing much to remedy the issue.

m
l
August 10, 2010 8:08:56 PM

Hi,

I just want to let you know that I also have an egg-shaped 5770 but by HIS.

idle (157MHz by 300MHz) @ ~50C and ~55% fan speed
load (960MHz by 1375MHz) @ ~80C and ~90% fan speed - playing Starcraft II without fix

Please note that I only used CCC for overclocking and did not up any voltages as well as I left the fan speed at AUTO (90% fan speed does sound like a mini jet engine but I can deal with it).

Noteables:

Antec Nine Hundred case with side fan blowing at video card, two front fans, back fan, and top fan. The case is located on top of a table in a corner of a room and not enclosed.

Enermax 720W PSU that has a fan directing (i assume hot) air towards the video card which some say may help cool it but I think it is only providing at best warm air if not hot air because its a PSU exhaust fan ...

m
l
August 10, 2010 8:10:21 PM

Oh I forgot to mention the ambient temperature is ~30C
m
l
August 12, 2010 9:45:12 PM

Andon48 said:

So after everything, (even allowing the BestBuy guy sold me a Graphics Card Cooler Fan) I've decided to take make use of the 3-year manufacturer warranty that came with it. ASUS told me to send it in, and they'll test it and find what defects it may have. In the meantime, I suppose I'll have to wait for the results to give a "best answer".

Other thoughts: UPS charged me $24.36 to ship it to ASUS for the RMA....in effect nullifying the $20 mail-rebate that came with the card. Lovely, isn't it? I suppose any MIR is useless if it'll cost more money to fix a defective product...DO you guys think MIR are just incentives for customer to buy bad products? Because I see more items on Newegg with bad reviews (Less than 60% 5-Eggs) with MIR offer than those with 60%+ 5-Eggs ratings.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2010 1:45:36 PM

majinn said:
So after everything, (even allowing the BestBuy guy sold me a Graphics Card Cooler Fan)
Other thoughts: UPS charged me $24.36 to ship it to ASUS for the RMA....in effect nullifying the $20 mail-rebate that came with the card. Lovely, isn't it? I suppose any MIR is useless if it'll cost more money to fix a defective product...DO you guys think MIR are just incentives for customer to buy bad products? Because I see more items on Newegg with bad reviews (Less than 60% 5-Eggs) with MIR offer than those with 60%+ 5-Eggs ratings.

MIRs are designed to let sellers advertise a lower price without actually having to sell the item at that lower price -- figure a certain % of the rebates will never be filed, more will be denied for either not completing the rebate properly or failing to mail it in time, more will be lost in the mail,etc., etc. meaning only a fairly small percentage will actually be redeemed. (estimates place it around 40% that never get filed !)

Then for those that are redeemed the process takes 4 to 6 months to actually get the rebate check - meaning they have that extra money to float in the companies bank account collecting interest and inflating the companies profit on paper to make it look more profitable and hopefully increase their stock price. Also a good portion of the rebate checks that are finally returned to the customer will never be cashed (either because the customer loses the check or fails to cash it within the expiration period.)

Then finally as you have just found out the retailer that is offering the rebate also saves $ because they no longer have to offer returns or warranties on the product because you no longer can return it to them due to the original box no longer containing the UPC symbol - so it is really a very good method for retailers to make more money selling items and offering large rebates to make the consumer think they are getting a better deal than they are !!

There is a pretty good article on MIRs located here that makes interesting reading and explains why they are so popular with companies !
m
l
March 16, 2011 7:37:07 PM

majinn said:
Hey TH Community,

I just finished building my first PC. The specs are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
MotherBoard: Asus M4A87TD EVO
GPU: Asus Radeon HD 5770 (EAH5000 Series)
RAM: G-Skill 4GB 1600MHz Ram

I also installed StarCraft II. I played a couple of games at Ultra Settings (The highest) and then checked my GPU temperature with CPUID. It reads 94 C.
It's idling at 49-55 C as I write this. Should I be concerned?
I read some posts by other users on TH and most of them are reporting an idle time of around 27-39 C.

StarCraft 2 isn't considered a game that requires powerful hardware, but
I played only two games and it jumped to 94 C, so I'm a bit scared that it won't be able to handle long hours of gaming.

Any experts or enthusiast gamer out there who can tell me
1. How much heat can this card handle?
2. What should I do to help keep it cool? I don't want to just burn out my card, its new and it wasn't cheap.

Thanks
-Majinn

k well first off. 94c is too high. the MAX ive read is around 100. but if you get anywhere up there your card is probably on the verge of being destroyed. 49-55c is good. i think for the most part you should stay under 80 at least. id try to keep it under 70 during games. im running on a pentium D. havent overclocked very high fan is a little over 70% and my gpu is only 60c. i havent tried gta 4 or anything really demanding wit these settings. but im only running 870 and 1245 right now. and check this link

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/10/12/amd_ati_radeo...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2011 10:54:49 AM

ashinkusher420 said:
k well first off. 94c is too high. the MAX ive read is around 100. but if you get anywhere up there your card is probably on the verge of being destroyed. 49-55c is good. i think for the most part you should stay under 80 at least. id try to keep it under 70 during games. im running on a pentium D. havent overclocked very high fan is a little over 70% and my gpu is only 60c. i havent tried gta 4 or anything really demanding wit these settings. but im only running 870 and 1245 right now. and check this link

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/10/12/amd_ati_radeo...

Look at the dates. This thread is more than 6 months old.
m
l
!