Sign in with
Your question

Dv6500 motherboard/heat sink - or fail alert.

Last response: in Motherboards
July 28, 2011 10:38:46 PM

When I turn my laptop on, my screen is black, but always when I start it, it goes to login-page, i can even log in...Its vista, so I recognize the sound. I have fingerprint log-in which also makes a sound when desktop is loaded.

What I want to know is if the technician might be right that my motherboard or its heat sink is broken? Or perhaps there is something wrong with my screen? As u see am not good with hard-ware stuff!
They suggested some heat-sink cure but it costs around 80 USD + they said it probably wont last long, max 6 months. Computer is popular HP dv6500 over-heater.

Can someone comment what it might be. To me it seems screen is broken cuz I it loads to desktop. If the motherboard or heat sink would be broken would it even do that? Also if the heat-sink is only broken wouldnt it be replaceable?
July 29, 2011 12:11:13 AM

If the computer is still functioning correctly, aside from the display working, then I don't see how it could be an overheating issue...

This may be obvious, but since it's a laptop, have you tried to brighten the screen using the Fn keys?

If that doesn't work, try running the laptop in safe mode (should be F8 on startup) and see if you get a display. If none of that works, report back.
Related resources
July 29, 2011 9:54:41 AM

Nothing like that works. Like i tried to say. I have nothing on screen, even no back light, as I start I get the full black screen. Technicians said something motherboard/heat sink problem related to overheating. But as far I see I can turn it on and even log-in cuz I know the sounds it makes when those operations are finished. I thought something is wrong with screen but they said screen is working fine.
July 29, 2011 1:46:57 PM

Look at you screen from an angle and see if you see anything. Also move the laptop's scrren on its hinge. You can try to connect a monitor to the laptop. Press the FN anf PF4 keys to switch between the monitor and the laptop's screen. If you see anything on the screen the backlight may have failed or the invertor. How old is your DV6500 and does int have an NVIDIA graphics adapter that was prone to failure?
July 29, 2011 4:56:57 PM

howardp6 said:
Look at you screen from an angle and see if you see anything. Also move the laptop's scrren on its hinge. You can try to connect a monitor to the laptop. Press the FN anf PF4 keys to switch between the monitor and the laptop's screen. If you see anything on the screen the backlight may have failed or the invertor. How old is your DV6500 and does int have an NVIDIA graphics adapter that was prone to failure?

Have tried to see something with bright light, move the hings, screen looks okey. Its almost 4 years old, ye its nVidia. Most ppl think its heat-sink problem.. will see new technician today.
a c 103 V Motherboard
July 29, 2011 5:45:15 PM

woxdin said:
Have tried to see something with bright light, move the hings, screen looks okey. Its almost 4 years old, ye its nVidia. Most ppl think its heat-sink problem.. will see new technician today.

I suspected as much. There are a lot of angry people who, not unlike yourself, bought one of these HP models with the NVidia integrated graphics. If memory serves me correctly, the problem turned out be the mobo would get so hot, that some of the solder on the NVidia chipset came undone, thus making it appear (no pun intended) as there is no display adapter.

HP knows about this problem, and offered to extend the warranty to a few people who complained in time, but considering that your model is nearly four years old, I wouldn't hold my breath with the hopes that HP is going to play nice.

While you have the new tech look at it, ask about extracting your data from the HDD, because you'll likely have to replace the mobo, which may turn out to be more expensive than buying a new laptop.
July 29, 2011 6:25:23 PM

You probably not going to get a motherboard for a four year old laptop. In the NVidia settlement NVidia paid for replacement laptops. The replacement was a single core AMD CPU with 2GBs of DD3 memory. The reason the laptops were replaced is that the HP motherboard was not available, so I doubt you can get a replacement motherboard and if you could it would not be cost effective. HP did extend the warranty, but it also issued a BIOS to run the fans at full speed, which would extend the life until the the laptops were out of warranty.
!