Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ASRock H61M-VS - A couple issues

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • ASrock
Last response: in Motherboards
Share
July 28, 2011 10:39:01 PM

Hi all,

Just built a new machine using an ASRock H61M-VS with an Intel i3-2100. All is going well except for the following two mobo issues.

1:)  The auto-detected RAM timings were incorrect. Is this common? This worries me that maybe all the autodetect voltage settings are incorrect. I don't know much about configuring the voltages so I'm not sure. I was able to manually set the timings to the correct values.

2:)  If I boot the machine with a flash drive inserted the machine stalls at POST. Removing the drive lets it continue. Disabling "Legacy USB support" in the UEFI resolves this issue. Anybody else experience something like this? I'm using the latest bios version for thsi board.

Thanks!

More about : asrock h61m couple issues

July 29, 2011 1:23:18 AM

fmcsimmons said:

1) The auto-detected RAM timings were incorrect. Is this common? This worries me that maybe all the autodetect voltage settings are incorrect. I don't know much about configuring the voltages so I'm not sure. I was able to manually set the timings to the correct values.


How do you know they're incorrect?

fmcsimmons said:

2) If I boot the machine with a flash drive inserted the machine stalls at POST. Removing the drive lets it continue. Disabling "Legacy USB support" in the UEFI resolves this issue. Anybody else experience something like this? I'm using the latest bios version for thsi board.


No, that's normal. The reason why it does this is because the computer is trying to detect an OS on the flash drive. It can't find one, so it stalls. When you disable it, the port is no longer active so it can't recognize the flash drive and continues as normal. To fix though, simply change the boot sequence. Go into your BIOS and under Boot Sequence make the USB the last on the list.
m
0
l
July 29, 2011 2:28:58 AM

The ram timings listed on Newegg and the Ram packaging differ from that in the UEFI.

The boot sequence has the HDD first so that's not the issue. Also, disabling legacy usb support does not disable the usb port as I can still access it inside Windows.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 29, 2011 3:19:15 AM

fmcsimmons said:
The ram timings listed on Newegg and the Ram packaging differ from that in the UEFI.

The boot sequence has the HDD first so that's not the issue. Also, disabling legacy usb support does not disable the usb port as I can still access it inside Windows.


The reason you can still access the flash drive when inside Windows even though USBLS is disabled is because Windows is an environment that does support USB. If one is trying to boot from USB (meaning, before an OS is loaded), they must have USBLS enabled first, otherwise that environment (DOS) doesn't support it. This is why the computer will proceed with it turned off, but not while turned on.

Also, if you have your HDD listed first, trying disabling "Boot from other devices" in your BIOS. That should take care of the problem.
m
0
l
July 29, 2011 3:40:31 AM

Thanks for the response. I tried plugging in another flash drive and the issue does not appear. The flash drive that triggers this is fairly old (2006-07) so perhaps that has something to do with it?
m
0
l
July 29, 2011 3:50:34 AM

fmcsimmons said:
Thanks for the response. I tried plugging in another flash drive and the issue does not appear. The flash drive that triggers this is fairly old (2006-07) so perhaps that has something to do with it?


I have a pretty basic question...do you need for the flash drive to be in the PC during start up? Because, the easiest - and quickest - solution would be to just not put it in until after boot. :pt1cable: 

And as for the age of the stick, I'm not sure if that would make a difference...maybe you have some PnP application on that stick which is causing the issue, whereas on the other you don't? Not really sure though, hmmm...
m
0
l
!