micellis

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Hi, I'm new to here, been checking this place for ages for info and things, but finally have a question about a build.

Well, my dad and myself have decided its time for a new PC build. Current Setup is as follows

Athlon x2 4000+ 2.1 Ghz Dual Core

Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 2gb

Foxconn Mobo (I actually have no idea about the model number, although it is an AM2+ ddr2 board)

EVGA 8800GT

Coolermaster 350W PSU (yeah pushing it here with the GPU)

Various HDDs (1tb RAID 5, various other storage)

Windows 7 Pro x86

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently my Newegg wishlist looks like this:

MSI NF750-G55

AMD Phenom II 955 BE

Antec Earthwatts 750W PSU

Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 (2x1gb)

I'm going AMD on this build, Unless... I can find an intel setup that is around the same cost. I would say $600 all said.

Any suggestions? Changes? I plan on keeping the 8800GT for now. I am open to GPU suggestions from either ATI or Nvidia. I don't prefer either brand, I've owned both. The 8800 GT was free i can't complain =)

Thanks!

Edit: I guess I should add I'm looking at Maxing out TF2 at decent framerates, My dad plays alot of Dragons Age and Fallout 3 also. I would love to be able to max out or play BFBC2 at high detail as well.

I can't afford an i7 at the moment, most I can go is the i5 750

Hmm for the cheapest/biggest gain upgrade i would check BIOS for that AM2+ mobo of yours, hit a cheap Rana 440/445 and perhaps hit a GTX 460 with an 80+ 500-600W PSU? Have helped mucho AM2+ platform peeps with AM2 X2s just like you move over to Rana, Propus, Deneb since the platform could take these in and not much gained from DDR2-->DDR3 anyways

micellis

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Yeah I'd thought about that, but the motherboard has been having some problems, one of the PCIe slots doesn't work, and One of the RAM sticks is giving alot of errors. So We're just looking at a new fresh build.

at that rate, I'd get the things that won't change much first: a Case & PSU, maybe (There are nice combos with Antec 300 case with various wattage PSUs, you'd do ok with a 450-600W PSU), then save up to get everything else at once. Prices *always* drop, and New processors are expected to be announced in Dec/Jan/Feb, which should cause drops in the current processor prices

sp12

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
For gaming? Not a whole lot of difference to justify the i5's higher price.

I agree with Sqrl, do not buy parts piecemeal, Case/PSU/OD/HD are probably pretty safe, but you'll want the ram, CPU, GPU, and mobo to be purchased together.

micellis

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Yeah from what I have looked at, the synthetic benchmarks actually show the Phenom Outperform the i5 in gaming. Do you think it'd be better to save money on the setup and go AMD and just get a better GPU? My 8800 gt is starting to show its age.