Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 3, 2010 6:43:36 AM

I am looking for suggestions on upgrading my video card. I am currently running
XP, Pentium D Duo core 3.2 Ghz
2GB ram
not sure of motherboard
my power source is 300w
Current card is nVidia gefore 7300 LE
Yeah I know my system is old and hey I got the best I could afford at that time.

I want to be able to play games like Dragon Age at mid to high settings with little to no lag. Currently I can play DAO but on lowest settings and it is choppy but playable.

I am looking to pay a maxium of $200 but keep in mind this is most likely going to have to include upgrading my power source as well. I would rather keep it in the $125-$150 range and not upgrade the power source but I do like to game (I play mostly RPG's and WOW, Allods and such) and need to get the most out of my current system. I am hoping to upgrade entire PC in a year or two.
or.......
should I just deal with what I have until I can upgrade entire PC?

More about : upgrade video card

a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 6:55:41 AM

Dragon Age is one of those games that really like quad cores, and I don't think you'll get a very good game play experience with your current cpu with any graphics card. Your also going to be cpu limited with anything beyond a 5570/5670 in just about any game on the market. A video card upgrade will help you alot, that 7300LE is horribly weak, but your cpu just can't cut it on a number of newer games, so you'll get better visuals but still have a low frame rate due to the processor.

Personally I would get the better video card now as it'll help, but than replace the rest of the system as soon as you can because you'll see a dramatic difference once you do.

If you've got a microcenter/frys near you, they both run really good cpu/motherboard deals. You could get an Athlon II and socket AM2+ motherboard that will run circles around your Pentium D and use your current ram(I'm assuming it's DDR2) for $100 or less. Than spend another $100-$150 if you can stretch your budget for a video card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 8:38:01 AM

If you are going to upgrade in a year, then that is your best bet in running the latest games properly, otherwise, anything above a 5670 will be bottlenecked by your CPU.
If you can get the PCIe 2.0 version 5670.It will enable you to run most of your games for now.
m
l
!