AMD Phenom II x4 970 or Intel i5-750

bookyle1

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Hi, I'm thinking about building a gaming system for myself.

It will be used mostly for gaming and school work, and some programming

I'm stuck on which processor to get.

The phenom 970 have a higher clock speed, but the i5-970 seems to perform better.

Please help

P.S. I probably will not over clock it

It depends what you are spending on graphics cards the AMD motherboards are cheaper and have more features even on the budget boards so you may be able to afford a better card with the AMD platform which would give you a better overall system, but the i5 is better.

1000FPS

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Actually just look at the benchmarks. A Phenom II x4 CPU clocked at about 3.5GHz is roughly as powerful as an i5 750 or 760. There's not much in it. I would personally get a Phenom II x4 955 and do a mild overclock. Seriously, you wont get better performance with the i5 in games unless you're using a very powerful graphics card and gaming at lowish resolutions. My friend has his 955 at 3.6GHz along with a GTX 480, and there is no bottlenecking to be seen

My comment was based on the fact that you stated
"Sorry but AMD will lose this so badly!
i5 all the way."

Which doesn't provide any useful information and sounds like what someone would say before a hockey game. I don't see how you owning a phenom IIx6 is relevant.

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
That shows that he is so unhappy with his cpu's performance.I donot blame him for that.I always knew those x6 are gimmiky.

:non: That is not true. Actually I couldn't be happier! but that won't change the fact that the Core i5 750 is way better than the Phenom II X4 970 it is about fact and objectivity! and I can't see how could that mean I am unhappy with my processor!

I own a Honda and if someone asks me which is faster a Honda or a Ferrari? my answer would be WHAT THE HECK? The Honda is going to lose that so badly! Would my answer make my car less interesting or will it indicate my dissatisfaction with my car? completely irrelevant! :??:

Zterling

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
Doesn't the i5-750 have TurboBoost and can OC to like 4.1GHz, but you can OC the i-5 to 3.2 to 3.6. OCing to 4.1 has a huge power increase though and will be scorchingly hot. Also the i5-750 runs cooler on an acceptable processing power level than the AMD x4.

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Ok just for the record, I have to admit that my first comment was a bit harsh and inaccurate. because the difference between these two processors was not that big, yes the core i5 750 is better overall even in gaming but not by that much!