fishinman111

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
I just bought an AZZA HURRICAN 2000 Case and put this motherboard into it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128502&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

My problem is the the front panel connections from the case don't match color wise or number of pins for the motherboard. For example the Power one is 2 pins ( pos and neg ) and on the board there might be 3 spots with that color. I plugged them in but my power supply won't be here until tuesday next week. Should I just match the colors even though the cables and the board say 2 different things? or what? This is my first build and the manual on the mother board and the manual on the case don't help a single bit. Thanks all

They're not colour coded, read the mobo manual for header pinout instructions,it WILL be in there,
and connect the relevent connectors to the stated pin,
also check the build guide/troubleshooter at the top of this section for tips :),
and relax man, youll be fine as long as you dont rush
Moto

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
As Motopsycho says, there's no colour code for these connectors - I have seen some cases where all the front panel cables are the same colour, and others where they seem to have chosen the colours at random. Sometimes they are single wires, sometimes they are connected in sets.

The only really critical wires are the power switch :) Your motherboard has one connector marked PW - that is the power switch. The connection marked PWR is the power LED (the thing that lights up when power is on).

All of this is covered on page 20 of the English version of the manual (I found the manual at http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z68a-d3h-b3_e.pdf ).

NOTE: you probably won't have anything to connect to MSG or CI - don't worry - just leave them unconnected. You may not have a hard disk LED or even a speaker (not every case does).

The Gigabyte boards pretty much use the same layout.

For the switches and the speaker, polarity is not important. For the LED's, the white wire goes to the minus terminal. If the LED's do not come on when they should, try reversing the connector. Putting the headers on backwards will not cause any damage. The LED's simply will not work.

If you have a two pin Power LED connector, you can put it on the two pins marked MSG (right beside the HDD LED). If you have a three pin connector, you can put on the three pins beside the speaker.

Look on page 26 of the manual.

Many cases do not come with a system speaker. It is a worthwhile addition. Many case also do not come with a front panel power LED. The Antecs do not. They use the illuminated fans as a power indicator.

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
You can always take an old case (one you don't use anymore, we all have a few at hand right?? We are techies after all ^^) and just cut the wires that has the connectors you need to plug onto the motherboard. You then cut your case wires that are not the same standard as the motherboard and twist them together. Don't forget rubber tape so that you don't blow up your computer ^^

The computer I am currently writting this as that "tweak" done since almost 4 years ago. I did this too with the computer of my brother, that had all single pins (very old standard) which is a mess to figure out what they serve. Since we couldn't figure at all were they had to go, we did the tweak then taped them all together so now it's so much simple for him when he needs to maintain his computer. ^^

Netmon

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013

YES AND NO. Yes the mother board manual shows "+/-" on the header pins. The problem is I've yet to SEE a set of CASE header pin-connectors that bother to put a little + or - on one side of the pin. HENCE THE VERY GOOD question about wire colors.
Some here have said it doesn't matter, ok cool, but if that's true then why, 1.) are the wires different colors, and 2.) Why would the MOBO manufacturers all be putting "+'s" and "-'s" on their diagrams?
YES YOU CAN just shove them on either way and if something isn't working flip that pin. But if you're a newbee who just spent $700or$800 on parts, facing a possible RMA nightmare, I think I'd want KNOW I was putting that pin on correctly the first time. OR MAYBE you just want to minimize # of trips to that part of the board.
I will say this, if you're trying to make-do with an older case, more than say 5 or 6 years, that can greatly exasperate this particular problem. Do yourself a favor and buy a new, major-brand case to go with your new mobo.