Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cyberpower build in the $2K range - comments please

Last response: in Systems
September 9, 2010 6:48:06 PM

Looking to buy a Cyberpower machine in the $2000-2100 range. Just don't have the time to build it myself so I'm willing to part with a bit more $. However, been so long since I purchases a machine I'm not current on the tech. Any comments on my initial attempt at a config would be appreciated. Primarily the machine is used for gaming (Dragon Age, Dirt 2, 3, F1 2010, Battlefield 2 and Total War/Shogun 2 type of games). The rest of the time its just used for movies, and low end things like surfing, word processing, etc.

Here's what I have so far:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366 No Overclocking

MOTHERBOARD:* (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Dolby Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, IEEE1394a, 4 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

MEMORY:6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)

VIDEO 1:ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card

VIDEO2:ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card

CASE: Coolermaster HAF-X Gaming Full Tower Case w/ 1x230mm Red LED Fan, 1x200mm Fans, 2xFront USB 3.0 Port [+131]
I was also lookinig at the Storm Sniper case and that saves about $60 but it seems to be tougher to liquid cool (not sure I even want to go that route vs. air or TEC tho).

CASE FANS: Maximum Enermax 120MM Case Cooling Fans for selected case (Maximum Silent Operation) [+29] (1,000 RPM Black Color with No LED Enlobal Magnetic Barometric Bearing 17 dBA)

COOLING:Asetek 570LX Liquid Cooling system w/ 240MM Radiator and Dual Fans (Extreme Overclocking Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) [+43]

POWERSUPPLY:* 950 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-950TX 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+94]

HDD:1.5TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)

CD:24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

FLASHMEDIA:Ultra ULT40123 MD3 5.25" USB Multi Function Media Dashboard LCD Fan Controller (Black Color) [+28]

NOISEREDUCE1:p ower Supply Gasket [+5] and Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]

SOUND:HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

USBX:NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module + USB Bluetooth 2.X EDR Dongle with Led Light Thumb Size [+29]

CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]

Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]

_PRICE:( +2117) + Free Ship

Couple disclaimers: I think I've got overkill on the power supply but I like the Corsairs, and the 950W is less than the 850s with the rebates and such. Am I overdoing it?

Is the professional wiring and thermal compound worth it? Particularly in a big case like this? I do like the cleaner look...

I tend to be a stickler for noise and low temps so any comments there would be particularly appreciated. I'd be willing to bump up the cost a bit to get a TEC cooler if someone thinks its worth it but I have no experience with anything but simple air cooling. Otherwise I'm gonna go with the liquid cooling for the first time. The TECs would just be a bit of an interesting science project.

Thanks for the help guys!
September 9, 2010 6:53:12 PM

Do you know what you get when you combine the words rip and off next to eachother ? You found the pinnacle of it right there
m
l
September 9, 2010 10:00:34 PM

obsidian86 said:
Do you know what you get when you combine the words rip and off next to eachother ? You found the pinnacle of it right there

Yeah...build it yourself and save some money. :D 
m
l
Related resources
September 9, 2010 10:46:50 PM

Nope, this doesn't make sense.. A PC BUILD ONLY TAKES 2 HOURS OR LESS I'm POSITIVE you have 2 hours of your life to put into your PC...
m
l

Best solution

September 10, 2010 1:09:28 AM

+1 for the above 3 posts. Even on my first build, I only spent about 3 hours. I can do it in about 30 minutes now lol. (PS: This is just basic systems, not WCing,etc)

Also, blowing $2k on a PC right now is not exactly a good idea considering Sandy Bridge and ATI 6xxx cards are just around the corner.
September 20, 2010 3:23:45 AM

Best answer selected by essered.
m
l
!