Sign in with
Your question

Please confirm compatibility before i order

Last response: in Systems
September 9, 2010 7:24:32 PM

Hi, as the title says if you could just confirm that these parts are all compatible with each other.

Here is my build which i am about to order from scan (total £411.83)

Motherboard: ASUS P7H55M/USB3
Link: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asus-P7H55-M-USB3-Intel-H55-S-1156-PCI-E-20-(x16)-DDR3-2200(OC)-SATA-6Gb-s-USB-30-mATX

CPU: Intel i5 661
Link: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Intel-Core-i5-661-Dual-Core-Clarkdale-32nm-333GHz-4MB-Cache-87W-Integrated-GPU-900MHz-Retail

RAM: Corsair Dominator (2x2GB 1600)
Link: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/4GB-(2x2GB)-Corsair-Dominator-DDR3-PC3-12800-(1600)-Non-ECC-Unbuffered-CAS-9-9-9-24-DHX-165v

PSU: Corsair 400W
Link: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/400W-Corsair-CMPSU-400CXUK-Power-Series-PSU-ATX-PS-2-80plus-Efficiency-UK-Version

Optical Drive: Pioneer DVD/CD dual layer
Link: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Pioneer-DVR-S18LBK-22x-DVDR-12x-DVDDL-DVDplusRW-x8-RW-x6-RAM-x12-SATA-Black-Retail-Labelflash

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM
Link: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/500GB-Seagate-ST3500418AS-Barracuda-720012-SATA-3Gb-s-7200rpm-16MB-Cache-11-ms

Case: ASUS TA-8H3
Link: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asus-TA-8H3-Black-Mid-Tower-Case-Headphone-Mic-In-2x-USB-20-ATX-Micro-ATX-Without-PSU

Thank you to anyone who replies you are helping me out alot.
I am currently on scans website with the above compiled shopping cart but my own paranoia is getting the better of me and i can't bring my self to proceed to checkout. I'm almost sure the parts are compatible ( almost sure because i worry the HDD won't fit in case and have only just added the optical drive) but i can't afford the time it takes to return the parts as i leave my current address in a week.
September 9, 2010 7:26:26 PM

Also, i might add any input on these parts would be great too. Btw this is not a gaming build so Intel's IGP will suffice
September 9, 2010 8:45:59 PM

I would recommend against the i5-661; it's just a higher clocked i3-530. By making 2 simple changes in your BIOS (Enabling manual mode and increasing the backclock) you can get equivalent performance out of an i3-530 for half the price (you don't need to tune any settings or to switch out the CPU cooler). You will need to overclock your system slightly anyway to make use of that DDR3 1600 ram.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Intel-Core-i3-530-Dual-C...

If you want a faster processor, get the i5-760 for less than the i5-661. It adds two more cores. It also can be overclocked significantly without changing the voltage or swapping out the cooler. With a slight overclock performance will be ~50% better than the i5-661.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Intel-i5-760-S1156-Lynnf...
Related resources
September 9, 2010 8:51:23 PM

i5-760 has no IGP though.
September 9, 2010 8:52:49 PM

sp12 said:
i5-760 has no IGP though.

Good point
September 9, 2010 9:29:04 PM

wielander said:
I would recommend against the i5-661; it's just a higher clocked i3-530. By making 2 simple changes in your BIOS (Enabling manual mode and increasing the backclock) you can get equivalent performance out of an i3-530 for half the price (you don't need to tune any settings or to switch out the CPU cooler). You will need to overclock your system slightly anyway to make use of that DDR3 1600 ram.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Intel-Core-i3-530-Dual-C...

If you want a faster processor, get the i5-760 for less than the i5-661. It adds two more cores. It also can be overclocked significantly without changing the voltage or swapping out the cooler. With a slight overclock performance will be ~50% better than the i5-661.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Intel-i5-760-S1156-Lynnf...

Hi you've crossed out what you said about the i5 760 how come? I have contemplated having the 750 taking £14 off my budget however the mobo would increase by £20 and also a video card £40. However, i rationalised that i do not need the additional processing speed the 750 gives me and also will not play any games on this pc only 1080p which the IGP is sufficent enough for this also i have no problems with the mobo and its connectors. Maybe i am wrong in assuming it will be better or is needed to have a P55 board with the 750 and the h55 will work fine,what do you think about this? ( its not that much extra then for 2 more cores). Although i have looked at benchmarks and the 750 doesn't blow 661 away and i do not need this additional power. I went with the 900 graphics instead of 733 just to be safe really.

It would be nice to shave £80 off my budget (could pay for the buffalo usb3.0 external HD) but i would like the i5 so this pc lasts longer and isn't out of date so fast ( i maybe wrong but these are my thoughts). Even if the price is not justified i will still want an i5 (HA!). I will not overclock or alter any settings. Your comment about the 1600 ram ( i actually pciked this because the 1333 i wanted was out of stock so i thought why not) worries me why do i have to change the settings and oc?
September 9, 2010 9:37:37 PM

You don't need to overclock, but you can't run the memory at DDR3 1600 unless you overclock (DDR3 1333 is the maximum setting because ram frequency is tied to cpu frequency).
September 9, 2010 9:45:56 PM

obsidian86 said:
its good but an amd alternative might be better

Asus M4A88T-M/USB3 AMD 880G AM3 Motherboard
Corsair Power Series 400
Asus TA-8H3, Black Mid Tower Case
500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Hard Drive - HDD
Corsair Memory Dominator 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3
Pioneer DVR-S18LBK 22x DVD±R,
AMD CPU Phenom II 965 Black Quad Core Processor

i would have gone with the amd 955 but seems to be out of stock

Net Total £320.05

Carriage £12.47

VAT £58.19

Total £390.71

Thank you for compiling that ( if you have done) but without sounding like an absolute prick i think i'm going to stick with intel. I did realise when researching i could get a similar maybe better with an AMD setup but i never considered AMD and had researched alot about intel and didn't want to be back at step 1 again so scraped the idea. Also the CPU doesn't have an IGP so adding that to the budget would bring it to par with the intel build ( sorry if the 955 does which is why you would have went for it). There isn't many reasons for me not go with AMD but i'm just not going to. Sorry AMD.
September 9, 2010 9:47:14 PM

Without overclocking you really aren't getting your money's worth on an Intel build. :??:  You're either missing out on ~25% of the performance of one of the lower clocked processors, or you're getting ripped off on a higher clocked one that's the same on the inside.

I'm not talking about difficult, time consuming, risky overclocking. It's as simple as just setting a higher frequency in the BIOS. I run my i3-530 at 3.52 GHz at the stock voltages. I have upgraded the CPU cooler so that I can run it higher, but it was fine at this speed with the stock cooler.
September 9, 2010 9:50:07 PM

wielander said:
You don't need to overclock, but you can't run the memory at DDR3 1600 unless you overclock (DDR3 1333 is the maximum setting because ram frequency is tied to cpu frequency).

Oh right i will be sure to pick 1333 then. Could i use a H55 with the 750 or will i need or best to have a P55 what do you think about this? Would a dedicated card need a larger PSU?
September 9, 2010 9:51:47 PM

AMD build actually has an IGP, it's in the motherboard.
September 9, 2010 9:58:25 PM

LP2010 said:
Oh right i will be sure to pick 1333 then. Could i use a H55 with the 750 or will i need or best to have a P55 what do you think about this? Would a dedicated card need a larger PSU?

The DDR3 1600 is still better ram, and it will run at DDR3 1333. It won't be any faster than the DDR3 1333 unless you try lower latencies, but that's more involved than the simple overclocking I'm talking about. :p 

The i5-750 will work with an H55 motherboard. A low end dedicated graphics card would add an almost negligible amount of power consumption to your system. Pretty much any dedicated card is better than the integrated graphics. Unless you're spend more than £75 on the graphics card, I wouldn't worry about the power consumption.
September 9, 2010 10:06:52 PM

wielander said:
Without overclocking you really aren't getting your money's worth on an Intel build. :??:  You're either missing out on ~25% of the performance of one of the lower clocked processors, or you're getting ripped off on a higher clocked one that's the same on the inside.

I'm not talking about difficult, time consuming, risky overclocking. It's as simple as just setting a higher frequency in the BIOS. I run my i3-530 at 3.52 GHz at the stock voltages. I have upgraded the CPU cooler so that I can run it higher, but it was fine at this speed with the stock cooler.

I hoped for a 'yeah looks good to me' comment when i first made this thread, with your views on the 661 i'm questioning it too. I thought i was complete and ready to go. You're starting to convince me though about setting altering.

So you're saying i'm getting ripped off because i am buying an odd model ( the extra graphics etc). Also, you ran the i3-530 at 3.52 with the stock cooler? How do i know this won't eventually (months maybe a year or two) cause the chip to burn up or whatever happens when its not cooled properly? Do you monitor its temp? ( As you can see i don't know much about OCing) I don't want to have to buy a liquid cooling system and will stick to the stock. So running a i3 at 3.52 would mean that it effectively processes faster than the i5 661 (3.33). I forget if the i3 has turbo boosting ( i think not)would this affect its performs at that clocked level without turbo?

Do you play 1080p ( mkv files, which is generally what i will have) with the IGP or do you have a dedicated card for that (i'm sure you're a gamer though)? What are the i3's CPU levels when running HD

This computer will be used for browsing, HD films and ms office (uni work) so i'm not going to stress a i5 i just wanted to have a fast pc which i would appreciate and would last. I looked at i3 but thought i would 'push the boat out'
September 9, 2010 10:10:35 PM

Chips don't really burn up. They're silicon. Silicon melts at several hundred degrees. You can damage some other parts of the chip at past ~120 degrees, but there are thermal shutdowns in place to prevent temps past ~100 anyways. If you start applying voltage, well then yes you can break your chips pretty easily.

i3 and i5 are the same architecture, so yes at a higher clock the i3 will beat it. The i5 can overclock as well, however.

I've played 1080p files on an old AMD 4200 IGP, but the bitrate was only like ~24mbs.

If that's all you're doing IMO I would step it down to an Athlon 2 X4 build with an 880 IGP.
September 9, 2010 10:13:44 PM

wielander said:
The DDR3 1600 is still better ram, and it will run at DDR3 1333. It won't be any faster than the DDR3 1333 unless you try lower latencies, but that's more involved than the simple overclocking I'm talking about. :p 

The i5-750 will work with an H55 motherboard. A low end dedicated graphics card would add an almost negligible amount of power consumption to your system. Pretty much any dedicated card is better than the integrated graphics. Unless you're spend more than £75 on the graphics card, I wouldn't worry about the power consumption.

Okay. So the P55 would not be needed. I await your reply to my last comment as the £80 off my budget would pay for my hard drive.

I'm so new to this and it's almost never ending unless you have an unlimited amount and just pick the extremes. I thought have a P55 then upgrade to I7- XXX but i guess in 3-5 years time all of this will be as old as a Pentium 4. ( I would like this pc to last me 3-5 years because of university and i doubt i will have the money to build another until after)
September 9, 2010 10:23:27 PM

sp12 said:
Chips don't really burn up. They're silicon. Silicon melts at several hundred degrees. You can damage some other parts of the chip at past ~120 degrees, but there are thermal shutdowns in place to prevent temps past ~100 anyways. If you start applying voltage, well then yes you can break your chips pretty easily.

i3 and i5 are the same architecture, so yes at a higher clock the i3 will beat it. The i5 can overclock as well, however.

I've played 1080p files on an old AMD 4200 IGP, but the bitrate was only like ~24mbs.

If that's all you're doing IMO I would step it down to an Athlon 2 X4 build with an 880 IGP.

Hi, i meant it more in a general sense as won't i break the chip by pushing its limits ( i mean its limits with the stock cooler)
I think i've played 1080 on a celeron laptop and my little atom plays 720 with kmplayer and coreavc well apart from fast intense scenes ( i guess i should be saying higher bitrate)
I know i'm sure i could have 1080p playback with a p4 dual core and a very good GPU but i really don't want to be building a machine that is already however many years old as i want this pc to last (3-5 years) and remain 'modern' and 'fast' for most of this. This is the reason for the mobo with usb 3.0. So maybe a i3 at 3.52 then 3 years later an i5 or a water cooling system and push the i3.
September 9, 2010 10:28:31 PM

So, people who are capable of OCing are really getting excellent value for money whilst others really aren't. As i could have the same speed chip for half the price just by a slight overclock which people really do not even know about or like me believe it is some crazy experiment which will see my computer burn into flames
September 9, 2010 10:31:56 PM

LP2010 said:
I hoped for a 'yeah looks good to me' comment when i first made this thread, with your views on the 661 i'm questioning it too. I thought i was complete and ready to go. You're starting to convince me though about setting altering.

So you're saying i'm getting ripped off because i am buying an odd model ( the extra graphics etc). Also, you ran the i3-530 at 3.52 with the stock cooler? How do i know this won't eventually (months maybe a year or two) cause the chip to burn up or whatever happens when its not cooled properly? Do you monitor its temp?

I use software to monitor the temperature. At 3.52 GHz under a continuous full CPU load with the stock cooler it would reach an equilibrium temperature of about 60C which is perfectly fine. It would probably never reach that temperature in normal conditions, either. If you clocked yours to match the i5-661, you wouldn't need to worry about temperatures at all.

sp12's comment covers the safety issue. Unless you're piling on voltage and running the CPU up to 4 GHz plus, you really don't need to worry about longevity.

LP2010 said:
( As you can see i don't know much about OCing) I don't want to have to buy a liquid cooling system and will stick to the stock. So running a i3 at 3.52 would mean that it effectively processes faster than the i5 661 (3.33). I forget if the i3 has turbo boosting ( i think not)would this affect its performs at that clocked level without turbo?

The i3-530 doesn't have turbo, but turbo generally doesn't make that big of a difference (it can only help temporarily and only on a single core). With the i3-530 3.52 GHz, they are comparable in performance.

LP2010 said:
Do you play 1080p ( mkv files, which is generally what i will have) with the IGP or do you have a dedicated card for that (i'm sure you're a gamer though)? What are the i3's CPU levels when running HD

This computer will be used for browsing, HD films and ms office (uni work) so i'm not going to stress a i5 i just wanted to have a fast pc which i would appreciate and would last. I looked at i3 but thought i would 'push the boat out'

I do use a dedicated video card, but it's the same for playing videos. The integrated HD graphics of the i3-530 include an HD decoder so the processor doesn't have to do the work. The processor isn't loaded at all by HD videos.
September 9, 2010 10:32:43 PM

LP2010 said:
So, people who are capable of OCing are really getting excellent value for money whilst others really aren't. As i could have the same speed chip for half the price just by a slight overclock which people really do not even know about or like me believe it is some crazy experiment which will see my computer burn into flames

Yes, exactly.

Note that I have a different version of the same motherboard, and this is all you would need to do.

1. Repeatedly press the "delete" key when the computer is starting up to enter the BIOS.

2. Press the right arrow to enter the "AI Tweaker" control panel.

3. Change "AI Overclock Tuner" setting from "Auto" to "Manual."

4. Change "BLCK Frequency" from "Auto" to "160."

5. Change "DRAM Frequency" from "Auto" to "DDR3-1333MHz" or "DDR3-1600MHz" to match your ram.

6. Open "DRAM Timing Control" and input the four latency numbers of your ram in order from the top ex. (9-9-9-30 = "CAS#"-"RAS# to CAS#"-"RAS# PRE time"-"RAS# ACT time")

7. Try it out; make sure that it's stable. If it crashes, go back to step 4 and lower it to ~155. Note: Even if it crashes, nothing will be harmed (the motherboard will automatically ask you if you want to revert to default settings or to fix the problem in the BIOS yourself).

You should perform those last three steps anyway to get the best performance out of your ram.
September 9, 2010 10:33:37 PM

I mean you're overspending for your needs. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/122?vs=143 The athlon is not only cheaper, but faster in threaded tasks.

None of the tasks you listed are really taxing. Spend the money on an SSD and you'd see much more realworld speedup.
September 9, 2010 11:04:30 PM

wielander said:
Yes, exactly.

Note that I have a different version of the same motherboard, and this is all you would need to do.

1. Repeatedly press the "delete" key when the computer is starting up to enter the BIOS.

2. Press the right arrow to enter the "AI Tweaker" control panel.

3. Change "AI Overclock Tuner" setting from "Auto" to "Manual."

4. Change "BLCK Frequency" from "Auto" to "160."

5. Change "DRAM Frequency" from "Auto" to "DDR3-1333MHz" or "DDR3-1600MHz" to match your ram.

6. Open "DRAM Timing Control" and input the four latency numbers of your ram in order from the top ex. (9-9-9-30 = "CAS#"-"RAS# to CAS#"-"RAS# PRE time"-"RAS# ACT time")

7. Try it out; make sure that it's stable. If it crashes, go back to step 4 and lower it to ~155. Note: Even if it crashes, nothing will be harmed (the motherboard will automatically ask you if you want to revert to default settings or to fix the problem in the BIOS yourself).

You should perform those last two steps anyway to get the best performance out of your ram.

So, this would change the i3 to run at 3.52 following your instructions? So, overclocking is just changing the settings in the BIOS fairly straight forward once you know the figures to add. I noticed only difference is that yours is missing a usb3.0 so your instructions are 100% relevant and great. This is the sort of software i need to check after the build that everything is running cool and okay.

I have been reading http://www.anandtech.com/show/2921/6 and the IGP was pushed. What are the steps to push the IGP to 900 or should i leave this (with my knowledge)?

I've been convinced and will now be able to buy an external HD with the money i'm saving. Thanks for getting me the most out of my budget.
September 9, 2010 11:09:06 PM

sp12 said:
I mean you're overspending for your needs. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/122?vs=143 The athlon is not only cheaper, but faster in threaded tasks.

None of the tasks you listed are really taxing. Spend the money on an SSD and you'd see much more realworld speedup.

Thats a good link cheers. Would of made things a lot faster when researching. I know i'm overspending for my needs but i just hope it means this pc will last longer. I can't give you many reasons like i said to the other guy i'm just goign to stick with intel.

I thought about an SSD because i thought about making the pc silent but i looked at the prices and i was completely shocked (i'm new)
September 9, 2010 11:20:31 PM

In general, it doesn't mean it will last longer. Computers double in power every 12 months for the same price. The X4 will be faster as time goes on and apps become increasingly threaded anyways though. The 4250 in the AMD mobo is also faster than the Intel HD in the i3. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/05/24/am...

Then again, if you want an Intel go for it. It uses less power and overclocks well.

An SSD's biggest benefit is making the system very responsive and snappy. AT has some great articles on it.
September 10, 2010 12:14:27 AM

LP2010 said:
I have been reading http://www.anandtech.com/show/2921/6 and the IGP was pushed. What are the steps to push the IGP to 900 or should i leave this (with my knowledge)?

I'm not sure how to overclock the IGP in the BIOS, but ASUS has a utility/driver that will manage the speed of the integrated graphics and automatically overclock them when needed, "ASUS GPU Boost":

"GPU Boost

Instant iGPU Level Up!
GPU Boost overclocks the integrated GPU in real time for the best graphics performance. User-friendly UI facilitates flexible frequency and voltage adjustments. Its ability to deliver multiple overclocking profiles also provides rapid and stable system-level upgrades."

It should be included on the driver disk that comes with the motherboard.
September 10, 2010 5:35:07 PM

wielander said:
I'm not sure how to overclock the IGP in the BIOS, but ASUS has a utility/driver that will manage the speed of the integrated graphics and automatically overclock them when needed, "ASUS GPU Boost":

"GPU Boost

Instant iGPU Level Up!
GPU Boost overclocks the integrated GPU in real time for the best graphics performance. User-friendly UI facilitates flexible frequency and voltage adjustments. Its ability to deliver multiple overclocking profiles also provides rapid and stable system-level upgrades."

It should be included on the driver disk that comes with the motherboard.

That sounds good. I think once i have set this pc up (which i should get tomorrow) i will see how the graphics perform if there are missed frames i think i will buy a dedicated card.

Are the instructions you gave me all i need to do to push the i3-530 up to 3.52GHz?
September 10, 2010 7:20:14 PM

Those are all of the steps.

When you've finished making the changes in the BIOS, click the right arrow a few times until the you're in the far right panel (the "Exit" panel)and select "Save Changes And Restart."

Your memory is rated at 1.65V (Because it's marketed towards overclockers), but by default it will be given 1.5V (this is actually safer for an Intel system). Usually memory ratings are a little lax; it may run at its rated speed and latencies at 1.5V. If the system doesn't boot after you make the changes, try lowering the memory's speed/frequency one level (the "DRAM Frequency" setting).
September 11, 2010 10:49:33 PM

wielander said:
Those are all of the steps.

When you've finished making the changes in the BIOS, click the right arrow a few times until the you're in the far right panel (the "Exit" panel)and select "Save Changes And Restart."

Your memory is rated at 1.65V (Because it's marketed towards overclockers), but by default it will be given 1.5V (this is actually safer for an Intel system). Usually memory ratings are a little lax; it may run at its rated speed and latencies at 1.5V. If the system doesn't boot after you make the changes, try lowering the memory's speed/frequency one level (the "DRAM Frequency" setting).

I've just built this, i made one mistake and it wouldn't turn on ( i thought i had broke something) the 2 pin power was vertical not horizontal. I think will try tomorrow but see what it is like at 2.93 tonight.

What should i be doing right now?
Installing drivers, but do i need to change any mobo settings immediately?
September 11, 2010 11:18:00 PM

LP2010 said:
I've just built this, i made one mistake and it wouldn't turn on ( i thought i had broke something) the 2 pin power was vertical not horizontal. I think will try tomorrow but see what it is like at 2.93 tonight.

What should i be doing right now?
Installing drivers, but do i need to change any mobo settings immediately?

There's no need to change the mobo settings right away; just have fun setting up your new computer (I may enjoy this sort of thing more than you :p ). You can try to overclock whenever you feel like it.
September 11, 2010 11:26:55 PM

wielander said:
There's no need to change the mobo settings right away; just have fun setting up your new computer (I may enjoy this sort of thing more than you :p ). You can try to overclock whenever you feel like it.

It has just crashed 5 times, only 2 made it into windows for seconds then loses all power after a minute or two in total

What could be wrong?
I have installed 3 drivers from the mobo disc lan audio chipset
September 11, 2010 11:31:30 PM

i've been using hdmi, now im using vga and it is staying on and im getting the rest of the drivers now, what do you think may be wrong?
September 12, 2010 12:30:14 PM

wielander said:
If switching to VGA fixed the problem, it might just need the latest graphics drivers?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&...

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&...

You can use this program, hardware monitor, to make sure it isn't overheating. It's a good program to have for overclocking.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/294902-13-just-finished-system-started-fine-lost-power

This person seems to think it may be the cpu fan ( the fan can move up and down a little but i don't see how it can't be in correctly) I dont have any thermal paste to reapply after taking it off so will have to wait for this. It lasted longer but did lose power after a while about 2 hours ( i swapped to hdmi for 40-50 minutes of this). If the problem is the fan the cpu will overheat ( i take it which is why it shuts down right) which i can will see on the software
September 12, 2010 1:42:20 PM

I didn't have the latest graphics driver but i have ran the pc on its side as i guess if the fan is not installed correctly and it isn't meant to be able to move like mine ( the fan can move up and down slightly) then tilting it on its side is moving the fan
September 12, 2010 1:53:39 PM

Im monitoring temps ( with pc on its side and vertical) and i can't seem to see much of a difference, i take it there would be a difference if the fan was moving. The temps seem to fluctuate on there own anyway ( core 0 MIN 34- MAX 54) ( core 2 32-51) what temps will i be seeing which would illustrate a fan problem
September 12, 2010 7:22:31 PM

Those maximum temperatures are a little high for a system that isn't under load. They aren't high enough to force the system to shut down, though. The minimum temperatures are normal/good.

If the push-pins are in, the fan is mounted correctly. You've tried pushing down solidly on each one, right. Rotating them in the direction the arrows point, after you push them in, is for removing the fan, not securing it.

While it's possible that this could be a problem with overheating, it isn't necessarily so. An unstable system may shut down at random.

Since your ram is rated for 1.65v, I would try increasing the voltage it's receiving. It probably isn't the problem, but it's worth a try.

1. Repeatedly press delete to enter BIOS.

2. Scroll right to "AI Tweaker".

3. Set "DRAM Frequency" to DDR3-1333MHz

4. Set "DRAM Timing Control" to 9-9-9-24-... (press escape when finished)

5. Set "IMC Voltage" to 1.25v (type it in) IMPORTANT

6. Set "DRAM Voltage" to 1.65v

7. Scroll right to "Power"

8. Select "Hardware Monitor"

9. Note temperatures and fan speeds (press escape when finished)

10. Scroll right to "Exit"

11. Select "Exit and Save Changes"

Good luck.
September 12, 2010 9:56:17 PM

wielander said:
Those maximum temperatures are a little high for a system that isn't under load. They aren't high enough to force the system to shut down, though. The minimum temperatures are normal/good.

If the push-pins are in, the fan is mounted correctly. You've tried pushing down solidly on each one, right. Rotating them in the direction the arrows point, after you push them in, is for removing the fan, not securing it.

While it's possible that this could be a problem with overheating, it isn't necessarily so. An unstable system may shut down at random.

Since your ram is rated for 1.65v, I would try increasing the voltage it's receiving. It probably isn't the problem, but it's worth a try.

1. Repeatedly press delete to enter BIOS.

2. Scroll right to "AI Tweaker".

3. Set "DRAM Frequency" to DDR3-1333MHz

4. Set "DRAM Timing Control" to 9-9-9-24-... (press escape when finished)

5. Set "IMC Voltage" to 1.25v (type it in) IMPORTANT

6. Set "DRAM Voltage" to 1.65v

7. Scroll right to "Power"

8. Select "Hardware Monitor"

9. Note temperatures and fan speeds (press escape when finished)

10. Scroll right to "Exit"

11. Select "Exit and Save Changes"

Good luck.

Earlier today temps rocketed at only 20-40% load i was seeing temps at 60 with a max of 82 and 79! I shut it down straight away
This is the problem ( I hope) as i have completely messed up the install of the fan not only have i rotated the push pins the opposite way ( the way the arrows point) the fan has to be rotated 90 degrees so the cable is closet to the fan connector (I read somewhere that this was vital) Im glad i didn't load the cpu it may have damaged the whole thing.

Hopefully tomorrow (when i get some thermal paste) i can make the changes and the temps will drop significantly.
!