Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help with Graphics card plz

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 3, 2010 1:22:15 PM

Hello i dont know much about computers an thought id try this, i just got starcraft 2 an it said my graphics card wasnt good so i had to run everything on low settings which sucks haha anyway i wanna buy a new one! but i have no clue what will fit what kinda are good or anything... so imma give you my specs an fill me in what i can do... i think i wouldnt wanna spend anymore than 200-300 or so

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
Model NC757AA-ABA a6757c
Total amount of system memory 7.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4
AMD Phenom(tm) 9159e Quad-Core Processor 1.80 GHZ


Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 596 GB
Disk partition (C:)  391 GB Free (583 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:)  2 GB Free (13 GB Total)
Media drive (E:)  CD/DVD

Graphics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Total available graphics memory 2159 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 128 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 2031 MB
Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.7574
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1200
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

Network
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
Network Adapter USB Wireless 802.11 b/g Adaptor
Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter

More about : graphics card plz

a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 1:35:32 PM

what power supply do you have?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 1:40:35 PM

yeah, if you tell us the size of your mPSU then we have an idea of how much more power you can still work with, but your CPU speed is under recommended, remember: a Dual core with a high frequency (3.16 E8500) will perform better than your quad core)

is overclocking your CPU an option? have you thought of it?

SC2 is very CPU intensive and your fequency is low, even though you need a better GPU
m
0
l
Related resources
August 3, 2010 1:44:00 PM

haha, buying a gpu for sc2? fail ... lol
jks, i bought a whole system for sc2, lol

anywayz for 200-300, definitely get a high-end GeForce GTX 460 1GB
Gigabyte or MSi are excellent for this particular good, but ASUS, EVGA are great as well.
W/e you do just stay away from Palit (they messed it up)
I'm having a hard time decided between MSI and GIGABYTE myself, lol.

Anywayz, this card can run SC2 on ultra (max) settings perfectly.
There's two versions: a 768B and 1GB.
The 1gb is around $30 more @ ~$230-$250, while the 768MB is @ $200, the performance is slightly better.

I say get the 1GB since it has more bandwidth and mem but i guess the 768MB has a better performance:cost ratio and you can save a bit of coin.

But yeah... definietly the GeForce 460, no doubt, great card. (but stay away from palit, lol)

Ur next bottleneck would by CPU.
m
0
l
August 3, 2010 2:29:44 PM

where do i find my power supply???? and i jsut took the side off an i have 2 pcie_x1 slots
m
0
l
August 3, 2010 2:34:30 PM

also i donno what a gpu is... sorry! =/ im stupid with computers lol
m
0
l
August 3, 2010 2:45:16 PM

ok i got 2 PCIe_x1 --- and one PCIe-x16
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 2:58:24 PM

7 gb of ram... what an odd amount for a system to have.
Your power supply is 250w. You will definitely need a new one for any decent video card. The bigger problem is your processor which is quite weak. Your motherboard(Narra3-GL8E) is actually AM2+ and it SHOULD be able to handle current AMD processors under 95w but unfortunately you have an HP and apparently they are too lazy to offer a BIOS update that will allow you to use them. Consider this a lesson on avoiding prebuilt computers from large manufacturers.
Anyway you will have to either live with your current processor or replace your motherboard as well. Really without a new CPU your system will have very limited gaming performance.
This would be a good choice;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
The processor is x3 but the motherboard can unlock the fourth core. The base speed and architecture are both much better than your current processor and the motherboard will allow you to OC for even better speeds.
For a video card and PSU these would be good choice;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This totals $375 which is over your budget but it is basically what you need to do to turn that system into a good one for gaming. On the plus side there is a $20 mail in rebate and the video card comes with a free game(that is actually good.)
m
0
l
a c 160 U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 3:48:43 PM

HP putting a 250 watt power supply in a quad-core systems, that is one of the silliest things I have seen. I think the biggest issue is just getting a video card and a new power supply, but you need to find one that will fit your case. The graphics card right now is your biggest issue, but you can't get anything decent that will work on a crappy power supply, even a lower end card.
m
0
l
August 3, 2010 5:22:21 PM

ok to make me computer badass i need .. graphics card, powersupply and then a better processor??? i dont think im buying hp again ever .. i got it liek 2 years ago so its all good, but after this update i should be good right lol and is it easy to put this crap in?
m
0
l
a c 160 U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 5:25:18 PM

Powersuply, graphics card, then see how it runs. The CPU is not that bad, slow for these days, but not bad. I would not mess around much in the system if you have not done this before, find someone who has and watch/help them. Installing components that connect to the motherboard the wrong way can leave you with a dead system. And installing a power supply the wrong way can leave you with some nice electrical scars.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 6:14:13 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Powersuply, graphics card, then see how it runs. The CPU is not that bad, slow for these days, but not bad. I would not mess around much in the system if you have not done this before, find someone who has and watch/help them. Installing components that connect to the motherboard the wrong way can leave you with a dead system. And installing a power supply the wrong way can leave you with some nice electrical scars.

His CPU is quite poor actually. Most games don't even use more than 2 cores and 1.8ghz is simply very low for current games.
From the rest of your post I'll assume you have never assembled a computer in your life. It's not some difficult dangerous process. It involves using a screwdriver and putting cards and cables into slots. Almost all the cards/cables literally cannot even be put into the wrong slot. By telling people this stuff you are giving out misinformation. If it is a result of someone handing misinformation to you then at least don't spread it around.
m
0
l
a c 160 U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 6:16:52 PM

jyjjy said:
His CPU is quite poor actually. Most games don't even use more than 2 cores and 1.8ghz is simply very low for current games.
From the rest of your post I'll assume you have never assembled a computer in your life. It's not some difficult dangerous process. It involves using a screwdriver and putting cards and cables into slots. Almost all the cards/cables literally cannot even be put into the wrong slot. By telling people this stuff you are giving out misinformation. If it is a result of someone handing misinformation to you then at least don't spread it around.


Um.. I have been building PCs since the late 80's thank you very much.

I would never tell someone who would not know what a GPU is to just go-ahead and pop open a case on their own, then listen to them post here how their system will no loger boot.

For the same reason I would not hand my 16yr old keys to my car and say, go drive a bit and let me know if you need any help afterward.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 6:20:57 PM

SeVeN MG said:
ok to make me computer badass i need .. graphics card, powersupply and then a better processor??? i dont think im buying hp again ever .. i got it liek 2 years ago so its all good, but after this update i should be good right lol and is it easy to put this crap in?

The worst part is your motherboard CAN handle AM3 chips. HP either just doesn't care enough about their customers to release a BIOS update or would actually prefer their computers to have limited upgradeability so they will need to buy a new one.
So yeah, replace the motherboard/CPU when you can if you can't afford it now. Hopefully this will also show you that you can assemble your own and then you'll never need to pay extra for some large company to sell you an inferior system. FYI when replacing a motherboard it is best to reinstall windows but there are ways around it if you really don't want to.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 6:30:22 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Um.. I have been building PCs since the late 80's thank you very much.
Then please describe how to install "components that connect to the motherboard the wrong way" that will hurt a system? And also tell me how I can get nasty electrical scars from "installing a PSU the wrong way" that doesn't literally involve purposely stripping the cables and trying to short circuit something.
Some of what you say may have had a grain of truth in the distant past when you say you started building computers but the process has been streamlined and simplified now to the point that anyone that can follow instructions can handle it and it is nearly impossible to make a large error other than perhaps leaving off the cpu fan/heatsink entirely or attaching it wrong. Even then current CPUs simply shutdown when they get too hot so that wouldn't even hurt anything.
m
0
l
a c 160 U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 6:43:57 PM

jyjjy said:
Then please describe how to install "components that connect to the motherboard the wrong way" that will hurt a system? And also tell me how I can get nasty electrical scars from "installing a PSU the wrong way" that doesn't literally involve purposely stripping the cables and trying to short circuit something.
Some of what you say may have had a grain of truth in the distant past when you say you started building computers but the process has been streamlined and simplified now to the point that anyone that can follow instructions can handle it and it is nearly impossible to make a large error other than perhaps leaving off the cpu fan/heatsink entirely or attaching it wrong. Even then current CPUs simply shutdown when they get too hot so that wouldn't even hurt anything.


There are all these pretty capacitors sitting around the expantion slots that can break off, you can force a card in a bit wrong and stip the connectors, back-plates may not line up right and people like to try to hammer them in anyway causing a half-connected component which shorts out, I have seen people try to put PCIe cards in PCI slots.

Oh, and someone here at work put in a $1,000 video card with a couple of heavy DVI connectios into a system with no bracing, frying the card soon as the case was moved a bit. If it can go wrong, I have seen it.

Granted the power supply part was a bit stretched ;)  but even that requires disconnecting some motherboards connectors that can require a bit of force to pop-out, if you put too much stress on the motherboard, bad things happen.

From my experience, it's better to minimize things that can go wrong, if the poster can find someone that has done this before, why do it on your own when it's new to you?
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 6:49:10 PM

Well of course having someone experienced available is always a good thing. Most of the stuff you describe though is just extremely careless or very dumb and sure, if someone is going to take that kind of attitude into the process then they certainly shouldn't bother.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 6:56:28 PM

I dunno, I would encourage people to learn and do things for themselves if it is reasonable rather than paying too much for others to do it for you. All of us started somewhere.
m
0
l
a c 160 U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 7:09:28 PM

jyjjy said:
I dunno, I would encourage people to learn and do things for themselves if it is reasonable rather than paying too much for others to do it for you. All of us started somewhere.


Not paying for it is the key also, techie frinds are needed :D  I hate when people talk to me about how they paid some guy $100 to do a virus scan.

Anyone that has worked for a while in tech support as a pro should not just toss things at people to do. Even if it seems easy to you, rising some-ones computer or data is not worth it.

If you check on my posts, I never just say "sure, go try it and see what happens", that's what the Geeksquad does. Well maybe sometimes when the question is really odd I say that, but then they really deserve what they get for trying to do silly things like deleting files for no good reason :na:  .

I've also not stopped working with computers since the 80's. I have worked on just about every computer system there is from old embeded computers in hospital equipment to next gen 3D modeling hardware used at biotech companies running on Silicon Graphics workstations. Like I said before, if someone can do something wrong to a computer, I have seen it done, and from that experience I say, don't try it at home if you can avoid it. Watch and learn first. I fully agree, learn to do on your own, but if possible, learn with someone at your side to save you from breaking something. For some people, the $300 they paid for a WalMart PC is a huge amount, and if we can keep them from having to spend another $300 to replace it due to not giving all the warnings we know about, this is why we post on here.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 7:09:51 PM

If he can't find a professional to help him, he could always just watch some videos on youtube that show you how to do it. It helped me out alot.
m
0
l
August 3, 2010 7:17:58 PM

thank you guys, im going to update, an i prob can do it myself, iv actully never took the side of my computer before and today i did it lol... and know it sounds silly to you guys but it was cool ahahaha

i thought there would be sodering involved an what not...

and stop fighting, you guys are awesome! :o 

but yea theres not really a budget for me, i just didnt really wanna spend more than 300 on a graphics card alone..... because there always seems to be a better one =/
m
0
l
a c 160 U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 7:23:22 PM

SeVeN MG said:
thank you guys, im going to update, an i prob can do it myself, iv actully never took the side of my computer before and today i did it lol... and know it sounds silly to you guys but it was cool ahahaha

i thought there would be sodering involved an what not...

and stop fighting, you guys are awesome!


I don't think we're fighting, just different views on our suggestions for people :lol: 
I did take a bit of offence to the "you never build a system" comment, but we're over that now, and you can't really know who has done what from posts.

If you have played Operation before, think of your PC as a combination Lego set and Operation. You want to click things in the right places, but avoid touching the other components around it.
m
0
l
August 3, 2010 7:34:59 PM

ill figure it out...as long as i dont break anything were good hahaha... and it would be my bad not yours anyway ..

the site the jyjjy guy post... is that a reliable site and safe? has anyone used it before? just checking, i dont wanna sound like a dick but hey its the internet.... ;) 
m
0
l
a c 160 U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 7:50:05 PM

SeVeN MG said:
ill figure it out...as long as i dont break anything were good hahaha... and it would be my bad not yours anyway ..

the site the jyjjy guy post... is that a reliable site and safe? has anyone used it before? just checking, i dont wanna sound like a dick but hey its the internet.... ;) 


Newegg = gold standard of tech shopping. I'd tell my grandmother to shop there, it's safe.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 12:57:56 AM

SeVeN MG said:
but yea theres not really a budget for me, i just didnt really wanna spend more than 300 on a graphics card alone..... because there always seems to be a better one =/

If you are willing to spend a little more you may also want to get a new case for the computer. The HP case is probably small and cramped and this way you will just have to take the ram and drives out of your old system and put it into the new one rather than actually swapping out the motherboard and power supply. This would be a good choice at a good price;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It's not necessary but at this point you are a hard drive away from leaving your old system functional so that is something to consider as well. If you would prefer to do that this would be a good choice for a hard drive for the new system;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It's the fastest hard drive available at a reasonable price.
m
0
l
August 4, 2010 2:50:04 PM

so you can pretty much just build a good computer for like 500 or so?? i spent like 800 on my ghetto machine!!! lol
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 5:50:31 PM

Indeed you can. It's always better to build your own. On top of saving money you can target the exact components that will do what you want and of a brand that is reliable rather than the random junk power supplies and gimped motherboards they throw in prebuilt systems.
A plus for you in particular is that it will be a learning experience. Take away some of the mystery behind computers and give you more confidence in dealing with them.
If you do want to leave the old system working then the only thing left out that I haven't mentioned is a DVD burner but they are just $20. Here is one in a combo that will let you get a better PSU that is modular(means you can unplug the cables you aren't using for a less cluttered case) for the same price as the other one I linked;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
Actually you don't need a burner for the old system to stay working so really it is optional but nice to have.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 5:56:52 PM

Oh yeah, in case you didn't realize it to leave the old system functional you shouldn't remove ALL of the ram. Your system has 7 gigs which is really very odd. They almost always come with an even number. Anyway 4gb is more than enough for a normal person. More than that isn't useful except for specific purposes like music production or video editing or animation rendering.
m
0
l
August 4, 2010 5:59:16 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Um.. I have been building PCs since the late 80's thank you very much.

I would never tell someone who would not know what a GPU is to just go-ahead and pop open a case on their own, then listen to them post here how their system will no loger boot.

For the same reason I would not hand my 16yr old keys to my car and say, go drive a bit and let me know if you need any help afterward.

he was talking to the op... he just quoted you to let you know that the cpu was in fact quite bad
m
0
l
!