Sign in with
Your question

HD 5850 installation problems

Last response: in Systems
September 9, 2010 8:52:29 PM

hi, i was recently advised by this forum, to purchase a new graphics card, the ATI HD 5850. i did so and it arrived today, i have installed the card and it works perfectly etc, but i have 1 concern that the plastic tab to hold the card in place would not fit, i don't know if this is a problem with my motherboard, or i am doing something wrong, I will be receiving a new mobo soon anyway, but i would like to know why it is not fitting.

i have included a picture, sorry about the quality, it seemed to be the best i could get.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/146/thisonex.jpg

any help is appreciated.

-Lixah
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2010 9:09:07 PM

As long as your card is properly seated and working you're fine.
The plastic tab is for locking the card in place.
If you have to remove the card at some point the lever must be depressed for the card to come out again.
The pci ones are chincy compared to the old agp locks.
September 9, 2010 9:10:34 PM

davcon said:
As long as your card is properly seated and working you're fine.
The plastic tab is for locking the card in place.
If you have to remove the card at some point the lever must be depressed for the card to come out again.

The tab is not pressed down at all, that is what im worried about, if i move my case or something, and it knocks the card out of place.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2010 9:16:46 PM

Many motherboards do not have a lock back there. Use the screw to hold it firm at the edge of the computer and you shouldnt have any problems. The screw should make it feel locked in solidly.
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2010 9:22:42 PM

lixah said:
The tab is not pressed down at all, that is what im worried about, if i move my case or something, and it knocks the card out of place.

Like dndhatcher says not all have them and i don't think it would even matter if the stupid thing broke.
It takes enough pressure/force to set the card anyways plus you lock/screw it in place anyways.
I wouldn't be too concerned.
September 9, 2010 9:29:54 PM

ok, thanks all for the quick responses, i won't worry about this too much then.

I do however have 1 more quick question :p  I have not hooked up my 'eSATA' port that is on the computer case (Antec 1200) does this go to a normal 'SATA' port on my mobo? or does this mobo not support it? i don't really know what im doing with it.

If it helps the mobo is; Gigabyte GA-EP41-UD3L

(soon to be replaced with a XFX 750i :D )

-Lixah
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2010 9:42:22 PM

You old motherboard does not have any eSATA. Many newer boards have a rear eSATA port but no header for a front eSATA that I can find.
September 9, 2010 9:43:22 PM

Ah ok, so i cannot make use of the case mounted eSATA on my old, nor my new mobo?
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2010 9:49:24 PM

Do you have an eSATA device?

Your "new" mobo has a read eSATA, but you will have to read the manual (or send them a support email) to see if there is an eSATA port for that front panel cable. eSATA is a SATA port that also does power transmission so I dont see how a standard SATA port could work.
September 9, 2010 9:54:27 PM

I do not, I was simply wanting to have my case working as intended :p  thanks for your help :) 
!