tresler79

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Hello,
My roommates hp p6610F hard drive broke. I have a hp p6110F. I moved the hard drive from mine into his. I ended up having to reformat the hard drive, but I am getting a configuration issue with it now, and can't go any further than that screen. I called customer service, they said I needed to buy a hard drive the same size as the newer one, and send out for a new windows start up. Is there any way I can use my older hard drive for the newer computer? I've been lied to before from hp's customer service so I decided to ask here first.

tresler79

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
It fits, no problems there. Ran the windows system restore from it though and after going through its motions it said something along the line of configuration error. Sorry should of wrote down the exact wording, but it basically said that, no error numbers, and that it won't operate until it's fixed and to call customer service.

tresler79

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

Yup, I reinstalled on the newer computer, since I was getting a hardware change error on it. After reinstalling though (from the hard drives partition) I got the above mentioned problem. Do I need to install from cd instead?

zdbc13

Distinguished
Yes, if you restore from another computer's hard drive restore partition it will have all the drivers for the other computer. Not good. Make sure you have all drivers handy for the new installation from CD or USB.