Sign in with
Your question

Best motherboard for audio / multimedia

Last response: in Motherboards
July 29, 2011 6:42:06 AM

Hello,
are motherboard ASUS P5G41T-MLX3 great for multimedia ?
a b V Motherboard
July 29, 2011 8:32:37 AM

There is no one "best" motherboard for multimedia. If you want a recommendation, describe what you want the machine to do. Most "multimedia" needs can be met by almost any PC.
m
l
July 29, 2011 8:36:21 AM

Mm, serious audio editing would probably require a discrete audio card, which means pretty much any MoBo with the required PCI slot will do...am I right?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 29, 2011 9:12:49 AM

My original guess at what the OP wanted was a multimedia presentation PC - that requires nothing special.

Not all audio interfaces are PCI. You can get some high-end audio gear that connects via USB or FireWire.

If you want to get really serious about recording and engineering sound, I'd start by looking at some of the M Audio products: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=...

Basic video editing doesn't require anything special either. High end video editing places serious demands on the machine, but that's a whole subject on its own :) 

I guess we need the OP to be more specific about what is meant by "multimedia" before we can make any serious recommendations.
m
l
July 29, 2011 4:24:43 PM

If you are building a media PC then the only thing that matters is if you want 5.1, 7.1, optical, coaxial, etc for connection to your Receiver.

Most motherboard manufacturers use the same audio chipset (Realtek) and they all just vary mostly by 5.1, 7.1 setups.

As for sound they all sound the same, I have an HTOmega Claro which honestly I can't tell the difference between one or the other, the Audio tuner is really what matters for sound quality assuming your using Coax or SPDIF connections.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 29, 2011 4:49:09 PM

I thought originally I was seeing a post from a few years ago?!

'I' wouldn't define any LGA 775 as 'great' for Multimedia, it's adequate. To get quality audio you'd need either a case that supports 'HD Audio', S/PDIF add-on card, or an older PCI sound card. Depending on your CPU/GPU Blu-Ray 'may' be a problem.

Since your MOBO is not list on ASUS's site I assume it's an OEM model; closet match -> http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5G41... ; specs, BIOS, drivers may not be compatible.

m
l
!