Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I built a desktop. Tell me what you think.

Tags:
  • Components
Last response: in Components
December 1, 2010 10:50:20 PM

So I've been into computers for quite some time. Building them and programming etc. I had a laptop for the last few years because of traveling, but decided to sell it and build another desktop. I built it based on a price per performance scale and also to do a bit of gaming with. With the components, case, monitor, and everything else, I spent about 1500 total. These are the specs. Do you think I got a good system for the money? Also, is this a pretty decent setup for gaming? Just want to get some other opinions. These are the specs.

Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156
MSI N470GTX Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5
OCZ Reaper 6GB (3x 2GB) DDR3 1600
OCZ Agility 2 Solid State Drive 60GB (booting Win 7)
Samsung BX2450 24" LED Monitor
Asus Motherboard (cant remember which but it matches specs of parts listed above)
Asus Blu-ray Player
Antec 850 watt PSU
other minor things I left out like wireless nic, 500gb WD drive, SB sound card, rat 9 mouse and microsoft explorer blutrack mouse

More about : built desktop

December 1, 2010 11:12:02 PM

What case did you put all of this into?? System overall looks good (though it be nice to know the motherboard & it's SLI support) for the budget at $1,500.

You wasted a little on the memory, as you would've been just fine at 4GB for dual-channel.
m
l
December 1, 2010 11:17:18 PM

The case is the Aerocool S9 case with green cathodes. I like the case because it reminds me of my old tower that I took the side off of and put a floor fan next to it. And while I can't remember the exact mobo specs I do know that it supports triple channel.
m
l

Best solution

December 2, 2010 7:36:25 AM

hello th0mas87,
U have a powerful rig with every aspect.
But if u asks before then i will recommend u the following specs:
.........................................................................................................
CPU:Intel Core i7 950.
As it is applicable on 1366LGA socket so it is far more future proof.
.........................................................................................................
Motherboard:ASUS P6T Deluxe V2.
It has three PCI-e slots n a very good cooling system especially with respect to graphic card.
RAM:4GB
It is quite enough with every aspect.No game demands more than this.
GPU:GTX 460 or Radeon HD 5770x2.
GTX 460 (superclocked version) because it is less expensive than GTX 470 whereas HD 5570 pair is an excellent pair n is able to beat a single high-end graphic card.
In this way u will also get 2GB of memory.
In GTX 460 latest chip is used so it competes with GTX 470.
Price difference between GTX 460 n GTX 470 is more as compared to their Performance difference.
Hard disk:I wll get SATA because SSD is far more expensive with respect to memory.Although the performance difference is much more.
Buddy but u still have a powerful rig.
So,no worries.
Best Of Luck.

December 9, 2010 2:06:51 AM

Best answer selected by th0mas87.
m
l
!