Sign in with
Your question

DVD Writer / Blu-ray Drive ?

Last response: in Storage
December 19, 2012 2:16:41 PM

Sup y'all, I'd like a little help here. I have started receiving pieces from my upcoming build and I totally forgot that I need something to run discs with. I never used DVDs too much so I'm not into these things. From the research I've done online, I have found out about these two, DVD Writers and Blu-ray Drives. I have no idea which one is better. Don't mind any price, I'll pay up any amount of money as long as it's worth it.

In case it helps, my GPU is a Sapphire 7970 VaporX and my CPU is a i7 3930k. Also I'd appreciate if you could post links to related products in order to help me out. Thanks.
a c 144 G Storage
December 19, 2012 2:22:03 PM

The blu-ray drive most use for the blu-ray movies, do you use the pc for video editing or games? If for games you just need the DVD, if you want to make the blu-ray or 3d blu-ray movies then go for the blu-ray but you also need the software for the blu-ray too.
December 19, 2012 4:42:31 PM

cin19 said:
The blu-ray drive most use for the blu-ray movies, do you use the pc for video editing or games? If for games you just need the DVD, if you want to make the blu-ray or 3d blu-ray movies then go for the blu-ray but you also need the software for the blu-ray too.

I intend to use the PC for both gaming and 3D rendering and I have no problem in acquiring the required tools in order to do this. Still waitin' for some names. :) 
Related resources
December 19, 2012 5:44:19 PM

There are three types of drives these days: "DVD-RW" drives that read/write only DVDs, "DVD/Blu-Ray" or "combo" drives that play both disc types but only write DVDs, and "Blu-Ray" or "BD-R" drives that will read and write to both DVD and BD (blank Blu-Ray) discs.

There is no downside really to going with the full-blown Blu-Ray route, but there is no need either unless you intend to record BD-R discs for backup or to play on your traditional Blu-Ray player. While it is nice to burn 25gb on a single BD-R disc, or 50gb on a dual-layer BD-R disc, the prices are still through the roof for blank media compared to what you expect to see for DVD spindles. Good quality single-layer BD-R media still costs at least a dollar per disc if purchased in a spindle, and usually closer to $3/disc in jewel case packs. That means an initial investment of anywhere from $30-$100 just on the media, although that should last quite some while.

The "combo" drives are nice if you want to be able to transfer data FROM a BD-R burned on another computer, or watch/rip movies from Blu-Ray format. These are phasing out though, as their price is no longer much different than the current cost of a BD-R drive.

DVD drives are really all anyone still needs, and good ones can be had on the cheap. This Asus drive is one that I have been using for over a year in one machine, and recently picked up a second for another. It is reliable, fairly quiet, and capable of burning dual-layer DVD's if you ever so desire. For $20, it's hard to go wrong http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 20, 2012 5:54:53 AM

ocmusicjunkie said:
There are three types of drives these days: "DVD-RW" drives that read/write only DVDs, "DVD/Blu-Ray" or "combo" drives that play both disc types but only write DVDs, and "Blu-Ray" or "BD-R" drives that will read and write to both DVD and BD (blank Blu-Ray) discs.

There is no downside really to going with the full-blown Blu-Ray route, but there is no need either unless you intend to record BD-R discs for backup or to play on your traditional Blu-Ray player. While it is nice to burn 25gb on a single BD-R disc, or 50gb on a dual-layer BD-R disc, the prices are still through the roof for blank media compared to what you expect to see for DVD spindles. Good quality single-layer BD-R media still costs at least a dollar per disc if purchased in a spindle, and usually closer to $3/disc in jewel case packs. That means an initial investment of anywhere from $30-$100 just on the media, although that should last quite some while.

The "combo" drives are nice if you want to be able to transfer data FROM a BD-R burned on another computer, or watch/rip movies from Blu-Ray format. These are phasing out though, as their price is no longer much different than the current cost of a BD-R drive.

DVD drives are really all anyone still needs, and good ones can be had on the cheap. This Asus drive is one that I have been using for over a year in one machine, and recently picked up a second for another. It is reliable, fairly quiet, and capable of burning dual-layer DVD's if you ever so desire. For $20, it's hard to go wrong http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for the info man. :) 
!