HTPC running XBMC Live (No OS)

ruofmot

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This Month

BUDGET RANGE: 200-300

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Streaming 720p Mkv content from Windows based PCs around my home network.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, OS, Monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: tigerdirect, newegg, amazon

PARTS PREFERENCES: N/A

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080, 47in 1080p LCD

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Right now I'm using the ps3 media server, and since the ps3 doesn't natively support the mkv container, my desktop has to transcode the file before sending it. When I fast forward and rewind, or skip scenes it will stutter and audio will go out of sync or it will loose connection.

From what I've read, I believe that XBMC Live will be able to stream this type of content flawlessly if the proper build is done. I basically need to know what type of cpu, gpu, and mobo I need to get so that it was meet my needs and be compatible with XBMC Live.

ruofmot

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Sorry, forgot about those things. I would need a PSU, I don't think I'd need a the optical drive- since I can install XBMC with a flash drive. Yes to the case, something that's not too large- so it can fit comfortably near the receiver.

Also, a generic question about XBMC. If the .mkv has 720 video and 5.1 sound in it, will the HTPC be able to send that to the receiver properly, or will I be running into some sort of issue.