Metro 2033 no DX11 + 1920 x 1080 for me? :(

:hello:

I just finished downloading Metro 2033 from Steam for the unbelievable price of £29.99 only to find that Metro 2033 won't seem to run in DX11 mode above the resolution of 1280 x 720, If I select DX9 I can then choose any resolution I want.

I've tried editing the user cfg file so that it forces the game to run in 1920 x 1080, However this doesn't do anything at all. :/

I've had the same problem with S.T.A.L.K.E.R CoP and 3DMark Vantage.

I have a horrible feeling it has something to do with me using a TV as a monitor, the TV's native resolution is something like 13xx X 7xx I think, but it can go up to 1920 x 1080.

Core i7 920 system
CF HD5850's
Toshiba REGZA 32" HDTV

Any ideas people? :heink:

It is always best to use the native resolution of an LCD screen. The native resolution is the actual number of pixels that make up the screen. If there are settings to go higher they are really pointless and will likely actually degrade image quality.

1920 x 1080 looks alot better than 1360 x 768 on my TV, There's also a noticeable performance hit so surely its not just stretching the resolution.

Metro 2033 doesn't have the option of 1360 x 768, so I couldn't select it even if I wanted to.

Any ideas on how to get DX11 + 1920 x 1080?

If your TV is 1080p (or i), then it will do 1920 x 1080 resolution. Just run it in DX9 mode if that works for you, you probably need to examine details a lot to notice the difference between DX9 and 11 anyway, and you'll be too busy actually playing to complain that this shadow in frame 12,900 is not quite as sharp as it can be.

Yeah I understand there might not be much visual difference, but I didn't pay £430 on DX11 GPU's to play in DX9....

Now Crossfire has kicked the bucket... (Randomly) Looks like I'll be starting another thread about my CF problems as well... *Facepalm*

Ummm...

If your TV's "native resolution" is 13xx X xxx then it is NOT capable of anything higher. It WILL NOT actually display a 1080p picture.

My brother had his XBOX360 and PS3 playing on a 720p TV with the "1080p" setting for a long time. It looked fine, so he did not realize the problem. However, when he later tried to hook his PC up to it, he quickly discovered it wasn't actually 1080p (he thought the TV was).

It doesn't work. The "native resolution" is the max the TV is capable of. Get yourself a 1080p TV, or 1080p monitor. Otherwise you're stuck playing @ 720p. The trick is, the image processor in your TV automatically cuts out lines of resolution to force the image to fit the display.

well, i am downloading the game right now to see if i can get DX10 working at 1080p and check the config files

about the crossfire, have you checked GPU-Z to see if the pcie lanes are above 2x, i had a problem were it dropped randomly and it was from the lanes all of a sudden dropping from x8 to x2 (fixed with a simple reseat of the GPU's)

@Jerreece, So my TV is a fake 1080i ? :/ This is not a good day! I was thinking about getting a monitor, however I created a thread here about selecting a good monitor and what to look for in a monitor but got no replies, even after 4 bumps and 100+ views... So I don't know what I'm looking for XD

@dipankar Thanks for the double post and your opinion on my DP .... Means alot man.

GPU-Z shows both cards running at X16 2.0

It depends on how much you have to spend really. This would be a decent choice;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

You know anything about contrast ratio's, response time, or input lag dipankar?
I think you may know less than me about monitors

My asus card is fail, crap overclocker, can't get the BIOS flashed and this is the message from the CCC crossfire diagnostic: "The CrossfireX internal bridge interconnects linking your CrossfireX graphics cards are not properly connected. Both bridge interconnects must be attached."

I've tried reseating the bridge, using 2 bridges and swapping them over...

Does it matter that its 2ms grey to grey?

What do you think about this? http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-124-SA&groupid=17&catid=510&subcat=

Maybe ur crossfire bridge is bad.

Contrast ratio higher the better led monitor has the highest dynamic range.More contrast ratio gives u deeper black and vibrant color.Response time less is better 2ms is the lowest i seen.Response time is how quickly the pixel changes its color.higher response time causes ghosting in movies and games.But u need sharp eyes to spot the difference between response time.Monitor has nothing to do with imput lag.Hope this help.

You can pretty much ignore contrast ratio, I don't know of any 2 manufacturers that use the same method to test theirs. Almost the same thing with pixel responce rates. Don't go by manufacturer specs, find some reviews done with calibrating tools.

Yeah I can tell by all the letters after the contrast ratio number, E.G 70000:1 ASCR (ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio)

TFT central seem to do some good reviewing.

Anyone know of a good monitor with freeview? I'm getting rid of my TV but would still like to watch TV every now and again and don't have the space for a 32" TV + a 22" monitor.

I'm not saying it's fake at all! LOL However, the "native resolution" is the maximum. So if it's 13xx X 7xx then it's a 720P.

720p = 1280 x 720 OR 1366 x 768
1080i = 1280 x 768 OR 1366 x 1080 (think this is what my 1080i Plasma TV is)
1080p = 1920 x 1080

The problem comes in when the TV only has so many horizontal and vertical pixels. It cannot display 1920 x 1080 pixels if it doesn't have them. So the image processor decides what to not display. :) The image gets resized and in some cases the aspect ratio is changed by squishing or stretching the image to fit properly.

Here's a half decent article that discusses it :)
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/televisions/whats-the-difference-between-1080-and-768-resolutions-for-lcd-tvs-49284122/