Klimentiy

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
First boot, everything is powered, except for HDD LED. As i start up the machine, it beeps once, the MSI 870 screen flashes then disappears and all i have is a blinking underscore "_" that moves down the black screen with the pressing of Delete key.

This is my first build... what i am doing wrong?

Board: MSI 870-g45
PCU: Phenom 555
PSU: OCZ 600w
GPU: GTX 460 768mb
HDD: Samsung F3 500Gb

Monitor: 1920x1080 connected thru DVI cable to GPU.

Please tell me my mobo is not damaged....... if i hold Delete key it just stats clicking... and the underscore moves down the the end of the screen on the left.... does not go anywhere past that point. The screen is pitch black.

Solution
The initial beep means that the graphics card has passed its Power On Self Test (POST) that is why you see video after that initial beep.

You can press the Delete key as soon as you hear that beep and wait until the BIOS Setup menu appears.

In the Advanced BIOS Features menu change the Full Screen Logo Display setting to [Disabled] save the changes and reboot.

This should allow you to see what is going on during the Power On Self Test of the motherboard before it transfers control to the Operating System.

Klimentiy

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010

Thanks man. You are that helped me out choose my PC components :)

Yes everything is powered. The CPU fan is spinning and all the power cables are connected. The RAM is DDR3 and the right type of RAM in the right slots.... The HDD is connected but how would it affect being able to enter the bios? I have HDD and ODD connected on the same cable to PSU and ODD is fully working. Thank you

I hear the first beep, and the MSI mobo screen flashed then it goes straight to pitch black with blinking underscore.

Klimentiy

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010

I just went through that sticky and i have done everything specified in it. The mobo manual has no "beep codes" description.

Windows 7 does not run when inserted in ODD...

I only get one SHORT beep with mobo flash screen then goes to pitch black.

I have tried booting with a single RAM stick alternating them, also done a CMOS flash, and checked for any shortages.... nothing works

Klimentiy

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010

Already did that. Pulled CMOS battery, tried starting up with everything uplugged except for ram, power cords to mobo, and cpu fan..... still only a short beep and does not enter bios. OS is not being read with hard drive plugged in, although i can clearly hear the ODD working and CD running.

Klimentiy

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
OKAY i just got to WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER. and it is loading, windows is being started..... So i got to the windows setup..... should i go ahead and install the windows then deal with the BIOS later?

p.s. This is weird, it took about good 3 minutes for windows boot manager window to pop up.

The initial beep means that the graphics card has passed its Power On Self Test (POST) that is why you see video after that initial beep.

You can press the Delete key as soon as you hear that beep and wait until the BIOS Setup menu appears.

In the Advanced BIOS Features menu change the Full Screen Logo Display setting to [Disabled] save the changes and reboot.

This should allow you to see what is going on during the Power On Self Test of the motherboard before it transfers control to the Operating System.

Solution

Klimentiy

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010

SHould i go ahead and install windows now then do that after?