Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Old MB & Modern RAID

Last response: in Motherboards
July 29, 2011 12:48:01 PM

Greetings;

I have a couple of very old servers sitting around and I wanted to use one to store some excess video files. Since it is just for storage speed is not critical, but I would not want to lose the files. And since that old server is rock solid (10+ years and going) I want to use one of them.

The one I am trying to use has a 1999 TYAN Thunder S1836 MB. I installed a SI Sil3114 SATA RAID controller and 4 SATA 2TB drives configured as RAID 5 storage. I am running Windows 2000 Advances Server.

The RAID card reports the RAID 5 is configured properly during boot. The DEVICE MANAGER also reports that the RAID card is installed properly, with the correct drivers, and is working properly.

However, there is always a however, the Disk Manager does not see the raid drive.

At first I thought a BIOS update might help but checking showed only one newer BIOS. Since my BIOS is dated 3/29/1999 and the latest is dated 9/2/1999 I fear that an update won’t help.

My question; is the most likely problem the old hardware or old OS?

Thanks,

Jim

More about : modern raid

Best solution

a c 716 V Motherboard
July 29, 2011 2:30:53 PM

RAID is driver/chipset specific Windows 2000 supports NTFS and I assume the HDDs are formatted NTFS. The 2TB/drive concerns me, while I appreciate theoretical limits - 2TB HDD weren't around in '1999'. Even the 3TB+ 'today' require BIOS fixes to run.

So running a 6TB RAID array might be the problem.

Q - have you tried to migrate the array to a 'newer' system to see if it's a Card or 'OS'/MOBO problem?

ref - http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?...
Note: The maximum allowable size of a RAID group that can be created by the SATARAID5 Manager is 144,115,188,075,855,872 bytes (which represents 248 bit addressability). However, some Linux platforms may limit the maximum size of a volume to 2TB, so the largest allowable size of a RAID group is 2,199,023,255,552 bytes.
July 29, 2011 7:20:40 PM

I didn’t make one thing very clear. The RAID controller is on an add-in card. I was supposing that the RAID card would take care of the 2 TB problem and just present a 8 TB (minus overhead equals a little less than 6 TB of usable space) to the OS. And that was what I don’t know; will the hardware/firmware support that size drive? Or is the limitation in the Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

Of course if anyone knows that that OS will support a RAID of that size it will mean that the hardware won’t.

Thanks for all help,

Jim
m
l
Related resources
August 5, 2011 12:16:03 AM

Best answer selected by jim6064.
m
l
!