Sign in with
Your question

What CPU does the upcoming i7 2600 compare to?

Last response: in CPUs
December 2, 2010 2:28:53 AM

Looking into getting the Sandy Bridge Core i7 2600 for FSX since it should give me somewhat of an upgrade over my current Q9550. Just wondering what chip this CPU could be compared to? For FSX, the higher the GHz per core, the better it seems to do. Also, the GPU does play some part in it as well. Mostly the CPU though. However, I'm not big into overclocking, so that's why I was looking at the i7 2600. It also has the TurboBoost feature which overclocks it for me when needed.
December 2, 2010 3:25:40 AM

Well, since SB isn't going to be released for another month or so. There isn't much info about it other then what has been posted around the internet. You will have to just wait for it to be launched and when Tom has benched it.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
December 2, 2010 3:39:09 AM

Based on Anandtech.com's preview, it should be more powerful than any current processor for gaming, so it really doesn't have an equal to compare it to.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2010 5:10:51 PM

Wow, a Q9550. Damn, those things are expensive...lol

The i7-2600 probably won't have anything to compare it to until AMD's Bulldozer is launched. That's when the real battle will begin. :sol: 
m
l
December 2, 2010 5:21:52 PM

Yeah, but by the time Bulldozer comes out, Sandy Bridge will be on LGA2011! That will be WWIII! :) 
m
l
December 2, 2010 10:28:25 PM

^^ Agreed I think AMD has crapped the bed again and will be well behind Intel. I am really hoping that AMD's Bulldozer will be competive with Sandy Bridge. But we will have to wait and see.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2010 2:34:45 AM

It's quite possible that you're right ern but fortunately with ATi's domination of the marketplace, AMD can actually afford to crap the bed in their attempts to catch Intel. At least, they're in a much better position to chase Intel now that ATi is doing so well. Remember, AMD survived the shitstorm of Athlon x2 and Phenom I when ATi was getting it's ass kicked lift and right by nVidia's 8800 series. Now that ATi is actually making money (hand over fist I might add), AMD will survive a whole lot better. :sol: 
m
l
January 11, 2011 6:25:31 AM

My i7-2600k runs really well. No complaints here.
The only thing that I've noticed is that the CPU clock speed jumps around alot. From 1.5MHz up to 3.7MHz. Must be some kinda CPU throttling going on.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 6:37:50 AM

shirodx said:
My i7-2600k runs really well. No complaints here.
The only thing that I've noticed is that the CPU clock speed jumps around alot. From 1.5MHz up to 3.7MHz. Must be some kinda CPU throttling going on.

That CPU speed jumping around has been a common feature of Intel and AMD CPUs for several years now. They drop down to well below rated speed when not under heavy use to save power and run cooler, while jumping up to full speed (or in the case of turbo-enabled CPUs, higher than full speed) under load.
m
l
January 11, 2011 8:12:35 AM

Ahh,
thanks for clearing that up.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2011 9:05:08 AM

I'm holdin out for LGA2011. Unless BullDozer magically has an IPC explosion compared to K10. =P
m
l
!