Aug 2, 2010
Recently built a new desktop:

- Q9400 Quad Core
- P45 motherboard
- 4gb DDR2 800ghz
- nVidia 9500 GT
- 250gb Seagate 7200 sata
- LITEON CD/DVD-RW Combo sata

Power supply: Logisys 600 watt, 80+, ATI CrossFire and nVidia SLI certified. It's the bright breen one herehttp://www.logisyscomputer.com/viewsku.asp?SKUID=PS600A12&DID=Mainhttp://www.logisyscomputer.com/viewsku.asp?SKUID=PS600A12&DID=Main.

First power supply was 100% non-functioning right out of the box, and they accepted the RMA. I spent $12 to send it back, then waited with my old Antec 350-watter whirring along, cool and quiet.

And now, get this: Tthe second power supply is also 100% non-functioning!! I e-mail the guy, I admit it's a bizarre twist of fate, but I'll need to RMA this one too. And I'm sorry, but I can't pick up the $12 shipping again (actually it's the law - end-user consumers are not liable for any expense for replacement/repair of a defective product). I mean, seriously ... this power supply was just $38 shipping included, and I'm supposed to spend $24 more to cure their problem?

That's when the guy started going sideways, saying crazy stuff like "this power supply is not compatible with your unit, with a Quad Core," and, “you need 600 watts continuous power, this unit is not made for that system.” He’s obviously smoking something, he has no clue about their own products. And then he let’s slip that he’s not a tech, just a manager. So I explain that “CrossFire” and “SLI-ready” means the power supply is certified to handle two power hungry PCIe graphics cards, more peripherals than I have, and probably some over-clocking too.

I guess I offended him, cause he says “sorry, not compatible, not compatible, talk to your retailer.” And that’s it.

What do I do, get on a plane and go kick his ass, or what?

Solution
The PSU calculator may have been totally right, and your system might only need 394W, but if it needs 360W of it to come from the 12V rail you are 60W short. Rated wattage on a PSU doesnt mean a damned thing, always look at the load table sticker.

broncobuff

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Cheap?!

Puh-LEEASE!!!

The power-supply calculator says just 394 .... !!!

powersupply2.jpg

broncobuff

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
So I guess those online power supply calculators are all screwed up, huh?

Besides, it has a 1 year parts and labor warranty, so none of this should be my problem.

No, Mr. Pizza ... what you've done here is talk your way right out of the "Best Answer" prize.

Anybody wanna be nice to me? You can start by agreeing.

The PSU calculator may have been totally right, and your system might only need 394W, but if it needs 360W of it to come from the 12V rail you are 60W short. Rated wattage on a PSU doesnt mean a damned thing, always look at the load table sticker.

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

Broncobuff you bought junk. No matter what the power supply calculators say some brands are better than others. Read the review sites and compare things like ripple and output on individual rails. Antec, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic and XFX and Silverstone are the best of the best.
This list is dated and by no means complete but there is a reason Logisys is tier 5 or " Do not buy under any circumstances".

http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/667515-reference-power-supply-tiers.html

skervy

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
listen to the others dont go cheap on a power supply. i got a logisys locally since its all there was and i couldnt wait for shipping to order online. 2 of them dead from the start and he refused to take it back or exchange again blaming my mobo. went with an antec for my most recent computer and havent had a single problem. i even picked it up for only 55$ its 650w neopower been discontinued so price went down

broncobuff

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

There's your answer, thanks.

But I gotta ask, why are PSU's sold with wattage as (basically) the only spec? Intermediate users such as myself can and are misled. "12v rail" ... I never heard anything like that ever before. 600 watts and SLI certified seemed plenty to me ... live and learn.

Please everybody understand the title here is about 99% tongue-in-cheek:

Logisys was VERY responsive!!

They took my 600 and swapped it for this 650watt unit with DUAL-SUPPLY RAILS and better specs ... for just $22 extra.

skervy

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
im sorry to tell you but its still junk and they hustled you for another 22$ :/ just need to do your research when purchasing electronics or really anything for that matter. if you have the option to ditch it somewhere or refund take it and get a antec or corsair or something good. everyone here is telling you logisys is junk and not to skimp on the psu you should take the advice its spot on :p oh btw you pick up a nice 600w range psu for around 50$ from antec or corsaid when their on sale

D

Deleted member 217926

^ +1

When a PSU dies it can easily take other components with it..........like your motherboard or processor or graphics card or hard drives. It is great fun when you lose all of your data, I have seen it happen. All because of cheap power supplies.
I like to tell people that using a cheap power supply is like drinking and driving. You may get away with it hundreds of times but that does not make it a good idea. Also did you notice your new PSU is "Discontinued"...

broncobuff

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

"You should do your research when purchasing anything" ... really?

You guys are hilarious ... all the drama! It's like a pocket-protector schadenfreude-fest in here.

Yes, it appears Logisys is not a highly-rated PSU manufacturer, but all these breathless "the PSU is the most important thing you own, BroncoBuff! You could lose all your data, your family, your friends! You could even be left homeless!" That’s a bit much.

Of course the PSU is important, but it has very little to do with a unit's performance. I've been reading where insufficient wattage can slow a computer down, but I haven’t seen anything of this catastrophic life-altering devastation you're describing.

I'm far from a novice, but I’d never heard of "rails" before. I suppose I should have looked into it closer, but I think I did my due diligence. ... the PSU calculators discuss total wattage only, nothing about rails, and freaking nVidia. They should be more careful giving out their SLI-Certification ... that's TWO power-hungry video cards, a lot more than my one 9500-GT, plus the rest ... what kind of CPU does nVidia envision for SLI ... a Pentium II? No, the SLI, 80-plus efficiency, the online calculators and total wattage were enough for me, and I think that was reasonable.

I'm pretty sure I’ll be okay now ... this new supply has DUAL 12v rails, and dual 1000uF large capacity. I did some "research," mostly on this on this incredibly detailed PSU tutorial page, that's a top-end feature. And truth be told, they're upgrading me basically free ... it’s $12 for shipping and $10 for re-stocking or something.

Mellow, gentlemen ... deeeeep breaths ....

broncobuff

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I should come clean here ... the kicker: The 600-watt unit was plenty. The first one was bad, they confirmed that. But I must've botched the installation of the second ... I did the paper clip test later, and it was fine after all. Besides, my older 350-watt Antec has been humming along in this unit for more than a month.

But the guy at Logisys had already used the "not compatible" excuse, so I cornered him on the upgrade.

your best bet in all honestly is to NOT USE LOGISYS as they make utter crap, get a good PSU it's worth the extra money, as you have already spent $52 that could have gone towards a good PSU (ie you are $8 short on an Antec Earthwatts Green 400w)

Status
Not open for further replies.