Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II X3 only 2 cores

Last response: in CPUs
December 2, 2010 3:34:33 AM

Hi, I recently picked up a Phenom II X3 740 BE only to find that it is only using two cores. This is f**kin crazy, I paid 89 bucks for a X2. I have a MSI mobo, the rest of my specs are in my signature. Any help is appreciated. Arg. Thanks. *BTW everything is telling me its using two cores, in fact Core Temp thinks its a AM2+ CPUID got the processor name right but its still only using two cores*

More about : amd phenom cores

December 2, 2010 3:44:50 AM

AH OK so heres the fix, I went to run than msconfig than UNCHECKED boot with 2 Cores. And boom i have a 3 core. So if you have this problemo before going around trying to flash your BIOS JUST check msconfig. Sorry bout this thread. Someone close it i guess.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2010 7:06:14 AM

What mobo do you have, you might get a quad out of it if unlocking the 4th core.
m
l
Related resources
December 2, 2010 1:30:08 PM

And yes I just got the quad core out of it. I have a MSI 870 G45. The quad is snappy as hell, much faster than the Phenom II X2 550 that I had. Now to OC :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2010 1:54:56 PM

Thanks for the tip notsonoobPCguy.BTW I am expecting a OEM Phenom II X3 740 to arrive today as an upgrade CPU for one of my systems.I ordered it from newegg for $68.99 when it was on sale a few days back
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2010 2:19:36 PM

2 cores->3 cores->4 cores...

go on.
m
l
December 3, 2010 12:35:02 AM

@jj463rd You won't be disappointed, even while with just 3 cores the CPU was tons faster than my Phenom II X2 550, If you can unlock thats even better. @malmental Um right now my WEI is 7.3 :D  Im pretty happy with that right now, actually everything is in the 7.3 to 7.5 range except for my HDDs. So the next move for speed is a new HDD. I have a 7200RPM OS drive so its pretty fast now, i was looking at SSDs though.
m
l
December 3, 2010 12:49:59 AM

from 2 to 4 cores your on a role man! lol nice work aswel. currently only unlocked sempron 145 but its a great way to save money
m
l
December 3, 2010 5:15:32 AM

True that CsG_kiedude (dunno how to exactly write your name) :p  I just don't want to damage my CPU or mobo, I was worried at first because the core sensors crapped out so I was getting 0c. I guess it will shut down if it needs and I can get overall (not core) CPU temps off of Everest.
m
l
December 3, 2010 2:19:10 PM

NotdonoobPCguy, you sig says you have 5 gigs of RAM?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2010 2:20:10 PM

The sensors are not broken they just don't work anymore after you unlock the CPU.
m
l
December 3, 2010 9:43:32 PM

@rza yea you got a problem with my odd number? @Malmental Yep its in dual channel, according to AMD Overdrive and CPUZ. I can't max my RAM out, theres now way i can do enough multitasking to eat up all that RAM. Windows idles on a bunch of it though. Its neat all of my RAM is the same timing and everything except the One 2gb stick i have doesn't have a flashy heatsink/spreader :( 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2010 11:12:47 PM

notsonoobPCguy I installed the Phenom X3 740 BE in one of my desktops as an upgrade CPU.Windows (7) on startup to desktop said that it would automatically reboot recognizing the new CPU.On the reboot to desktop all 3 cores were working so I didn't have to do that msconfig thing that you had mentioned at all.
Just letting you know that everything went fine.

m
l
December 4, 2010 4:55:38 AM

Cool, I'm glad it was less nerve-wrecking for you. Are you going to OC/Unlock, I did both. Just waring you, your going to lose your CPU Core sensors but not the overall CPU temp sensor. Also there is a pretty big performance change between X3 and X4. When I unlocked programs like CPUID called my CPU a Phenom II X4 40 which really is a 940, you might want to get EVEREST if you do, its the only way I know how to monitor my CPU temps.
m
l
December 4, 2010 3:32:37 PM

Yea, but why either 4 or 8? But anyways I have 3 1gb sticks with red G.Skill covers and a 1 2gb G.Skill stick with the same timing and speed just bare silicon.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2010 3:59:55 PM

notsonoobPCguy said:
Cool, I'm glad it was less nerve-wrecking for you. Are you going to OC/Unlock, I did both. Just waring you, your going to lose your CPU Core sensors but not the overall CPU temp sensor. Also there is a pretty big performance change between X3 and X4. When I unlocked programs like CPUID called my CPU a Phenom II X4 40 which really is a 940, you might want to get EVEREST if you do, its the only way I know how to monitor my CPU temps.

No,I am going to leave it at stock speeds and not going to try to unlock the extra core on that one.It's in a HTPC (want it to last longer).
I've already used the spare Athlon II X2 240 in a trick build.By trick I mean that I had a emachines T6420 that was given to me about 4 years ago,last year the motherboard failed (I've heard that it was very common in those models especially because they used a poor unreliable power supply),used a $40 Socket AM2+ mobo that I got recently with the same chipset,network chip,IGP as the dead Socket 939 MSI MS 7207 motherboard in the T6420 (it originally used a Athlon 64 3400+ CPU).I did have to reactivate Windows (XP Pro) though but it passed activation (Phew!).I had some spare DDR2 RAM for it and a spare Radeon HD 3650 card.I did replace the power supply with a modern beefier more reliable type.
So essentially that Phenom X3 740 was both a CPU upgrade for a custom HTPC and the replaced Athlon II X2 240 was used to revive and revamp an old budget machine that died.Right now I am posting from that budget hardware hacked emachines T6420.The only thing slow about it is that I am using the old IDE Hard Drive off of it however it's nice to have it back up to life again.So essentially I have 5 modern CPU desktop systems 3 quad core based ones,1 tri core and that dual core (very low cost) rebuilt budget one (It was an experiment really).
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 114 À AMD
December 4, 2010 6:13:22 PM

All's well that ends well! :sol: 
m
l
!